What do you "Carry" when wheeling in the middle of nowhere? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What do you "Carry" when wheeling in the middle of nowhere?

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 05-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #211
Mymmars
1989 YJ Wrangler 

though their more of a force to point in a direction and fire, but very useful in that time while their at it.

Nightcrew member #095
Mymmars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #212
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Actually read this post

Since this has become a weapons talk and a to carry or not to carry debate I leave you with this I suggest you read it is really isn't that long

I offer you a stellar example of a letter (written by a Marine) that places the proper perspective
on what a gun means to a civilized society.

Read this eloquent and profound letter and pay close attention to the last paragraph.

The Gun is Civilization by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.
If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction
falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place
as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm,
as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me,
because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger,
a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing
with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size,
or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people
who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier
for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly
disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many,
and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living
in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury.
This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically
superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people
take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter.
It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone.
The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because
it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason,
only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying
a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #213
97Xj_Sport

Compact 10mm.
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #214
BrianI
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got my CCL yesterday. YEA!!!
BrianI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #215
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^^^Great letter above. I like the idea that an armed society is a polite society.

Anyway, I may have said this as this is an old thread, but my carry gun is a baby Glock 9mm. It did take some good range time to learn to shoot well with it, but I like how simple it is and it's size. Easy to conceal.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #216
JeeperFound
2002 TJ Wrangler 

S&W MP40C .40cal
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #217
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Great letter Benjamin. It sounds like Maj. Caudill needs to be the one debating those in favor of gun control.

In other news, I carry my S&W .40, but I just bought a H&R Pardner Protector, so as soon as I rig up a rack for it, I'll be carrying it too.

BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #218
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajk View Post
^^^ Great letter Benjamin. It sounds like Maj. Caudill needs to be the one debating those in favor of gun control.
Agreed, he really has a great perspective on things and is completely right.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #219
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
^^^Great letter above. I like the idea that an armed society is a polite society.
Not necessarily true though. I wouldn't call Canadian society armed, but we are sure polite!
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #220
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Not necessarily true though. I wouldn't call Canadian society armed, but we are sure polite!
Because since your so close, you know if you are not the USA will come get you.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #221
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Right now I carry a Cold Steel SRK and when i turn 21 ill be getting a concealed carry and will probably get a Kel Tech .380

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #222
Broncbuster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sig P226 Blackwater Tactical and a Norinco AK47.
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #223
rosco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausTJ01 View Post
Right now I carry a Cold Steel SRK and when i turn 21 ill be getting a concealed carry and will probably get a Kel Tech .380
i gots the keltec 3at good little pistol for goin around into the city with. you can carry it ****ed and its still pretty safe
Unread 05-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #224
jtpaintball70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPSYJ View Post
Because since your so close, you know if you are not the USA will come get you.
They're America's Hat :P

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #225
yjJeff
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like Robin Williams joke. "Canada is like a loft apartment above a really great party. 'Hey, keep it down eh!!'"
yjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.