What to do with my debt? Pay off credit cards? Motorcycle? Save??? Help... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What to do with my debt? Pay off credit cards? Motorcycle? Save??? Help...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #61
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Get the benz fixed then dump it asap.

That or try and trade it in. You said it's paid for and you can get around 10k for it you can get a pretty nice car for 10k, even nicer if your throw a few grand on top of it.

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #62
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lets be clear that as I've said you cannot get this part replaced at an indy shop it MUST be done at a dealership. I have already kept up with my transmission fluid maintenance there is absolutely no reason to get another opinion. This is not what the "stealership" told me - I already knew this going in thanks to Google.

I complained to the dealership about the cost. I showed them all the paperwork I have of doing all my maintenance at Mercedes dealers (mostly warranty work but routine stuff too) and they agreed to repair the transmission for $1400. This is mainly due to military discounts, subtracting the costs of both transmission maintenance repairs I have done, and other things.

I'm not upset at all anymore. It is a 7 year old car. It does have 72000 miles on it. $1400 could be spent a lot of other ways but if I get another 5 years out of this car it will be worth it. However, I may take the advice and drive this car for a year or so (to recoup the money I'm losing now) and then trade it in or sell it outright and buy a cheaper car. My biggest worry with used cars is not knowing how they've been maintained. I know I've meticulously cared for my car and I don't mind spending $1400 to repair a transmission on a clean, well maintained vehicle. But I don't want to buy a $5000 car that I have no history on and drop $1400 on it - that would just grind my gears.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #63
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped View Post
Lets be clear that as I've said you cannot get this part replaced at an indy shop it MUST be done at a dealership. I have already kept up with my transmission fluid maintenance there is absolutely no reason to get another opinion. This is not what the "stealership" told me - I already knew this going in thanks to Google.

I complained to the dealership about the cost. I showed them all the paperwork I have of doing all my maintenance at Mercedes dealers (mostly warranty work but routine stuff too) and they agreed to repair the transmission for $1400. This is mainly due to military discounts, subtracting the costs of both transmission maintenance repairs I have done, and other things.

I'm not upset at all anymore. It is a 7 year old car. It does have 72000 miles on it. $1400 could be spent a lot of other ways but if I get another 5 years out of this car it will be worth it. However, I may take the advice and drive this car for a year or so (to recoup the money I'm losing now) and then trade it in or sell it outright and buy a cheaper car. My biggest worry with used cars is not knowing how they've been maintained. I know I've meticulously cared for my car and I don't mind spending $1400 to repair a transmission on a clean, well maintained vehicle. But I don't want to buy a $5000 car that I have no history on and drop $1400 on it - that would just grind my gears.
BMW's can also have some odd low mileage issues also....like they had built in faults..... My nephew went through hell with a 2005 BMW. It had head issues that was going to cost $8,000- $11,000 to fix!!!! He dumped it.

I did not think Mercedes Benz which has very little aftermarkets parts for it available. One good reason not to own one unless it is brand new and you are only keeping it for a few years...
That way you don't even change the oil and pork the next owner.

What did the stealership say about the 'fix' for the tranny issue? IS it a simple repair or did they acknowledge the 'issue' and the repair gets you going again AND corrects the initial faulty engineering problem?

Buying a cheap used car.....you also buy all of it's faults. Fix this one and driving the tires off of it is the cheapest alternative....and don't buy no more stinkin' fancy smanchy, high falutin' foreign vehicles...

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #64
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
BMW's can also have some odd low mileage issues also....like they had built in faults..... My nephew went through hell with a 2005 BMW. It had head issues that was going to cost $8,000- $11,000 to fix!!!! He dumped it.

I did not think Mercedes Benz which has very little aftermarkets parts for it available. One good reason not to own one unless it is brand new and you are only keeping it for a few years...
That way you don't even change the oil and pork the next owner.

What did the stealership say about the 'fix' for the tranny issue? IS it a simple repair or did they acknowledge the 'issue' and the repair gets you going again AND corrects the initial faulty engineering problem?

Buying a cheap used car.....you also buy all of it's faults. Fix this one and driving the tires off of it is the cheapest alternative....and don't buy no more stinkin' fancy smanchy, high falutin' foreign vehicles...
The stealership and online said that the new part is upgraded and should last the life of the car.

Its a conductor plate and control module. Mercedes got the bright idea to put an electronic component immersed in transmission fluid :-/

This same transmission is still used so from what I've read and been told they definitely upgraded the part in order to avoid this problem with current vehicles.

I've definitely learned my lesson.

Rent American (except for Jeeps )
Lease European
Buy Japanese
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #65
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped View Post
The stealership and online said that the new part is upgraded and should last the life of the car.

Its a conductor plate and control module. Mercedes got the bright idea to put an electronic component immersed in transmission fluid :-/

This same transmission is still used so from what I've read and been told they definitely upgraded the part in order to avoid this problem with current vehicles.

I've definitely learned my lesson.

Rent American (except for Jeeps )
Lease European
Buy Japanese
That sounds like it is worth repairing IMHO. It would be the least expensive option IF you like the Mercedes.....

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #66
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Fix the Mercedes. Sell it. Buy something with the cash. Avoid financing a vehicle at all costs.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #67
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Deleted
devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #68
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

You should see if you can get a line of credit from your bank and replace your credit cards. I have that, the interest rate is 7% and it's got a $5000 limit. At least replace your 16% credit card with that! It's basically a bank loan that you can take money out of like a credit card.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.