What constitutes "REAL Wheeling?" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What constitutes "REAL Wheeling?"

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #31
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

whats wheeling???

Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #32
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ
I've had just as much fun wheeling trails in 2wd and finding ghost towns and abandoned mines as I have had rock crawling, and there are fewer broken things wrong afterwards which means more money for mods instead of replacing broken ****.

that wasn't wheeling, it was sight seeing

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #33
M.DURITZ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well, i lefted one side of my jeep with a motor lifet. and i flexed
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
UPSucks
GO BIG RED!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #35
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^^

My idea of "Real Wheeling" is similar to some other posts, but with a twist...

Trying something you believe your vehicle is NOT capable of, something that you are almost positive you can't overcome, something that you are almost sure will smash against a skid, bend a control arm mount, leave you high-centered awaiting rescue... "Real Wheeling" is at the very least attempting that obsticle; overcoming it is succeeding that obsticle.

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #36
CunningLinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #37
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When you "wear" your rig instead of driving it. Like a pilot wears a plane.

Weird how it happens, one day you're all gas and go in the local mudpit and then something happens and you're technically working over some bigass boulder you never thought you could drive around, much less over. Wearing the rig.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #38
That1guy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Wheeling over terrain that actually requires 4x4 to get through, not just that you have put your Jeep into 4x4.
That was my choice.
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #39
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

A real jeep has flat fenders, Cj, YJ, TJ.

I guess you can classify an xj as a real jeep and the FSJ's and the Zj's.

Needs to have solid axles.

I would say that real wheeling requires 4x4. Not just putting it in 4x4 because your on a dirt road, but because you can't advance your position in 2wd.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #40
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Kris is one of the best wheelers I've seen.

[YT][/YT]
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #41
PhatForrest
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anything that forces you to test you and your vehicle's abilities. To each his own.
92 YJ, 2.5 l/o, 4" Lift, 33" Super Swampers, Superwinch EPi9.0, Aussie Locked Dana 30, Uniden pro510xl CB and Firestik antenna, Hi Lift, Tuffy Center Console, Miller Lite tap handle shift knob, 40mm ammo can tool box, chains, straps, etc. - Sold to a good home

2006 Wrangler LJ.
PhatForrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #42
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Real wheeling can not be defined by others. It is something that you know deep inside yourself when you do it. The very idea of letting someone else define what wheeling is ,goes against the independent Jeepers code. We dont need no stinking definitions
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #43
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you NEED low range because 1st gear high range is too fast.
1987 Coleman Columbia
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #44
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo View Post
that's what I was thinking...

Offroad park?
If I ever have to pay to go wheeling, I know I've done something seriously wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
Not rediculous, just a foreign concept to those of us in the wide open west.

I see it like ski resorts...an established park can offer awesome terrain and great trails, an awesome experience...but there's just something about being in the backcountry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo View Post
Not rediculous!
Like LandRover said, it's just funny. I've got the rubicon an hour away, and hundreds, if not thousands of miles of open mountains and OHV areas to go play in within 10 minutes of my house
Just wondering who "owns" the land your wheeling on? As the other guys have said it's strange for us NOT to have to pay to ride in most places. I could go mudding in all kinds of places,, as long as I didn't get caught,,, because then it's trespassing and destruction of private property and gives us a bad name. Even some of the public land is controlled by a forestry department and you pay to ride but the money goes to land management and upkeep of the trails. The fees are usually not much, $10-30 a day or weekend but most of the time we DO pay or risk using private property.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #45
the2040
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just wondering who "owns" the land your wheeling on? As the other guys have said it's strange for us NOT to have to pay to ride in most places. I could go mudding in all kinds of places,, as long as I didn't get caught,,, because then it's trespassing and destruction of private property and gives us a bad name. Even some of the public land is controlled by a forestry department and you pay to ride but the money goes to land management and upkeep of the trails. The fees are usually not much, $10-30 a day or weekend but most of the time we DO pay or risk using private property
That sux, there are roads and trails all over Az, that are not closed to the public. I couldn't imagine paying money to go out in pubic land, it seems absurd. There are forestry roads, service roads (for power lines), and just old roads out all over the place in the mountains and desert around here. You can drive wherever you want when you want w/o paying for crap. I even take my guns with me and I can go shooting! So long as I'm a mile away from a paved road. Thats just me though, and where I grew up. Basically the rangers/sheriffs out here don't give a crap so long as you are not making your own road w/ your vehicle, or doing stupid **** like leaving trash or starting bone fires lol.
If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
Low Output 4 Cyl Jeep club #2012
the2040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.