What color should I paint my YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What color should I paint my YJ?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 02-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What color should I paint my YJ?

OK, this is really probably about the most frivolous thread/question ever. But what they hell. I've been on here for 10 years, and I don't think I've ever done anything this silly, so cut me some slack.

And it's a real question. I just can't decide.

Jeep is a 1988 YJ and is presently white (born that way, repainted same in 2004). Presently is a 258, Offy, Weber, Borland, MSD, Warn bumpers and tire mount, OME springs and shocks, 31 inch black Cragars, Autometer gauges, Besttop, soft doors, and bunches of other stuff.

Is presently undergoing a new round of work. New front end (was worn badly), frame repairs (some rust, esp in rear), new floorboards welded in (ditto on the rust), body repairs (minor rust), etc. We're thinking of putting a SBC in it, but may wait until the next round for that and just clean up the 258 (and it needs a new tranny). I have a dash ordered from Double D, and am replacing the steering column with a Flaming River. Will have all new interior (black), and new black Besttop and soft doors. The truck is a toy, not a DD, but I may change that (have used it as a DD in the past).

So... I'm gonna spray it. My kids love this truck and think it's "theirs" (they are 9 and 11, and we have had it all their lives). They voted for "blue". Hm. I was leaning towards flat olive drab. Someone told me that will pick up stains and fade and look bad after a short time. I was thinking flat black (so I can rattle can repairs), but same deal. Gloss paint is being recommended. With that, I was leaning toward a dark green, or British racing green.

This pic was taken right after the last round of restoration work, ten years ago. Looks pretty much the same now, except showing wear from use.

JMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Black with pink polka dots.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Plaid

Bright colors like blue, orange, red and yellow really only look good in high gloss with a quality paint job. You can do it by hand if you sand every coat, but it's a lot of work.

I painted my flat desert tan with a roller and any touch up blends right in.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Paint it clear sand all the metal in the same direction so its consistent and clear coat it just like a delorian
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

What about the olive grab green you like, than clear over that?
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Locutus
1999 WJ 

Plum crazy

https://www.google.com/search?q=chal...w=1536&bih=795
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Black with pink polka dots.
Now that's one I hadn't thought of. I'll run it by the kids (on second thought, maybe not, they might like it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Plaid
Bright colors like blue, orange, red and yellow really only look good in high gloss with a quality paint job. You can do it by hand if you sand every coat, but it's a lot of work.
I painted my flat desert tan with a roller and any touch up blends right in.
I've sprayed a few vehicles and am capable of doing a professional spray job. I also once painted a truck with latex and a roller. But I'm going to pay someone to do this one. I agree re the bright colors, but it is an option. Yours looks great, nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
What about the olive grab green you like, than clear over that?
I thought about that. Do you think it would retain the flat look if I used a low gloss clear coat?

Enjoying all responses, please keep 'em coming!

Mark
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Sorry, but plaid was the correct answer. Might be the only color that truck nuts don't look stupid with.

Freeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooooooommmmm!
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Hot Pink than you can sell Mary Kay.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Corvette Atomic Orange!

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
I thought about that. Do you think it would retain the flat look if I used a low gloss clear coat?

Enjoying all responses, please keep 'em coming!

Mark
Don't they make a matte finish clear? Whatever you do don't be afraid to get a little creative!! My YJ was born white as well.....
0826001929aa.jpg   picture-040.jpg  
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.