What cleaner/protectant does everyone use on leather seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What cleaner/protectant does everyone use on leather seats

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What cleaner/protectant does everyone use on leather seats

So, I've never owned a vehicle (until recently) that had leather seats. Mostly because its hot in the summer where I live, and leather seats are a lot more miserable to set your bum on in 100 degrees than cloth. Anyway, my new to me super duty has leather seats, and i'm just curious what kind of cleaner/conditioner/protectant you guys recommend so they stay looking pretty for years to come. thanks!

Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
stich
1949 CJ3A 

I've been in the upholstery business for 35 years and do a lot of leather work. I always suggest using Lexol for the seats. Here's a tip for cleaning leather if really dirty. Get some Ivory bar soap and put it in a container of water and swish it around until soapy solution. Dampen rag and clean seats. Rinse rag with clean water and wipe down seats again. Never soak leather. Only moist. The Ivory soap has Lanolin in it and is good for leather. These seats in my airplane were done in bone leather and got dirty a lot. I cleaned them often but you can see they still look new after about 6 years.

stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

As another who has been involved in detailing as a personal "hobby" for years, I also recommend Lexol.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

perfect....what is lexol? is it a cleaner, or conditioner, or protectant.....and where do i get it?
Utah Jeepcrew #63
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Hurley91

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich
I've been in the upholstery business for 35 years and do a lot of leather work. I always suggest using Lexol for the seats. Here's a tip for cleaning leather if really dirty. Get some Ivory bar soap and put it in a container of water and swish it around until soapy solution. Dampen rag and clean seats. Rinse rag with clean water and wipe down seats again. Never soak leather. Only moist. The Ivory soap has Lanolin in it and is good for leather. These seats in my airplane were done in bone leather and got dirty a lot. I cleaned them often but you can see they still look new after about 6 years.
I hate when my airplane seats get dirty.

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumdaddy
perfect....what is lexol? is it a cleaner, or conditioner, or protectant.....and where do i get it?
Two bottles: cleaner and conditioner. I usually get mine from autogeek.net
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
ajmorell

I've used Lexol and McGuire's Gold. I'll probably use Lexol moving forward because it's cheaper and seems to work just as well
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Lexol is an excellent product. I use it on my jackets & boots.
BUT-if your truck is a King Ranch, don't use it. It will darken the seats. Get the stuff sold by King Ranch.
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not a king ranch - not a fan of that saddle leather - just a lariat with tan leather seats.
Utah Jeepcrew #63

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.