Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Were you a good kid in highschool?

1K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  whitevette 
#1 ·
Or did you drive your parents/teachers etc. nuts. I have three kids. One a great kid, and definitely better then I was in high school. There are some times when I think maybe she should rebel a bit. Another who is a great kid, but gives me stress cause he's a risk taker. You know, jump higher, go faster, etc. If it isn't dangerous he's not interested. He also likes to wear hair wild and when he can it will be tattoos too. But he's a good kid and I don't think I will be supporting him at 30.
The third is a good kid, but I swear if I don't kill him before he is 18 it will be a miracle. Knows it all, while I know nothing, is getting thru school by my dragging him along, and has a summer job this year cause if he didn't I would kill him. We have an argument at least once a day about the damdest things. I love him to death and just want him to grow up and have a good life.
I gave my parents plenty of sleepless nights, I know. So remember it will come back to haunt you.

#2 ·
Oh, it's haunting me all right.
I was perfectly capable of doing excellent in school, but I got bored and always managed to find trouble (or it found me.) Needless to say, I was far from a model student. I'm trying to impress that upon my kids - take it seriously because even though it doesn't seem like it now, your education and childhood will decide what kind of life you live later on. I managed to overcome all of the obstacles I built for myself, but hey, I'm an old fogie and know nothing. They're going to do as they wish come hell or high water. :)

#3 ·
TroyBoyM said:
Oh, it's haunting me all right.
I was perfectly capable of doing excellent in school, but I got bored and always managed to find trouble (or it found me.) Needless to say, I was far from a model student. I'm trying to impress that upon my kids - take it seriously because even though it doesn't seem like it now, your education and childhood will decide what kind of life you live later on. I managed to overcome all of the obstacles I built for myself, but hey, I'm an old fogie and know nothing. They're going to do as they wish come hell or high water. :)
Spitting image of myself :D Except for i don't have kids and i just graduated.

#4 ·
Troyboy nailed it right on the head.Not so much for me about getting in trouble but I could have done MUCH better in school if I had tried.My parents wanted me to go to college or trade school but all I wanted to do was get out of H.S. and get a job so I could have a nice car......Major regret now.I'm doing pretty good now but I would rather be doing a job that I enjoy a little more.Also I had 2 sisters and a brother all older than me so I got to watch all their mistakes and subsequent punishments before it was my turn to be a teenager.;)

#5 ·
My family is a little like that...and guess what....I was the "good" girl, oldest in my family....last to go crazy.
My little sister is the "bad" one, she's quit HS, gone to jail :rolleyes:....but I guess she's got it all out of her system, becuase she's learned to grow up and be responsible WAY before me. She's only 18 now, and she's a little behind in school and stuff, but she knows EXACTLY what she wants out of life, and she's very passionate about getting it done as fast as possible....me, I'm still wandering though school with no clue. I think I'll be 30 before I've got all the "kid stuff" out of my system.

#6 ·
I was the kid that ALWAYS got in trouble pre-junior high ... but towards the end of junior high and then high school, we were moving from country to country and then I was totally new to the US so I was really behaving. Was a perfect kid in high school ... never got in trouble, straight A's ... all I did was study and I didn't know the language too well so didn't have too many friends to get into trouble ... and it sorta paid off!!!

Breezed through UCLA the first few years, got the BS, then MS, and then really started enjoying myself in grad school ... started getting into traveling, offroading, and now I just got the Jeep ... and wouldn't you know it, I'm about to finally finish SCHOOL !!!! ... I'll be 27 in July so I think it's about time I grow up ... that's what I tell myself but NAH ... I'll be kid for a little longer :cool: :D

#7 ·
Looking back to 3 years ago when I was in HS, I wish I had been more dedicated to study time and not tinkering on cars. I did get in a little trouble from time to time but nothing major. I guess its just part of growing up (Im sooo far away from it:D )

#8 ·
i am about to be a sr. in high school.
and ive done almost eveything parents have nightmares about. i dont like school. i am a very smart guy, and i feel like high school is so basic and not worth my time kinda. my parents worry about me but i know that i will be ok. im planning on going to tech school and then working for a corprate co. i have a hook up for bmw if i want it. and im looking towards that

#9 ·
I used to get away with murder when I was in HS.....I did stuff and never got caught:D

I was lucky enough to have a dad that cared enough that me made a lot of time for me. Unlike my sisters, I was smart enough to know from a very young age how much this would mean later in life and I had a ton of appretiation for everything he did for me and how much he sacrificed to help me persue MX racing. So for the most part I kept my nose clean. I was also smart enough to be able to cover my tracks when I slipped over the edge a bit and if I did something that I thought couldnt be hidden from my folks, I just told them the truth and payed a little hell instead of alot.

As time goes on it seems that the point where young people go from kids to adults or there level of responcibilty changes seems to increase with age. When I was 16-17 that seemed to be the time when you were having to make some life decisions for yourself.....now it seems that thats up to the 21-23 year range. Everyday I see these 21-22 year olds sitting on there bmx bikes at the corner store showing off there tats to any 15 year old Britney/Christina/Ho wannabe and wonder how do they pay for this?.....they got no job, dont go to college and still live at home. Well I figure that the money must come from Mom and Dad. These kids today have no problems sticking there hand out to mom or dad, alot seem to beleive that its the parents responcibilty to fill there pockets with cash instead of going out and earning it themselves.

#10 ·
Noppers .. I was a bit of a rebel .. if I was told not to do it, I did. I had the longest hair, the only one with piercings all over my body (and this was in the 80's .. before any kinds of piercings were cool) ..

Its just a phaze your kids are going through .. I did it .. and I think I turned out ok ;)

#11 ·
I got stoned most of the time on the way to school. I skipped a lot of classes, days and at times weeks. I caused havic where ever I went. When the Principal said I would need to go to summer school to finish I told him to f off and quit. I was sort of kicked out of my home state and when I got to the new state to live I found the party people there. I did go back to high school and finished but barely. I joined the Air Force and became a raving alcoholic and was sent to rehap twice, slept more then 500 women, also with married women tore up cars, bars and myself. When I quit drinking I became the good Airman and did a lot of hard work. When I got out of the service I found a few crappy jobs but worked hard at them. I went back to college and became a computer tech and a good one. I also fix most of the printers we use at work and keep all the old broken ones for parts. All in all I am doing well for myself but it only took me 20 years more then it should have. If I had to do it all over again I would have done better in school and went to college or find a good company that has plenty of options for advancement.

#12 ·
I could tell stories that no one would believe.
Rebel to the max
Was into street racing, drag racing, motorcycle racing,
I got my license at 16 and lost it so many times I didn't have one again till I was 19, didn't pay tickets, just let them go to warranty, then go to jail to pay them off. was a total gear head, stoner, party animal. sucked in school and didn't go very often. Was into everything fast and dangerous, played russian roulette even. Rode a motorcycle through a grocery store with a girl on the back and did burnouts in the frozen food section- more than once, used to look for the cops to get them to chase me and ditch them- most of the time.

Life was good in the 80's :D
I wouldn't change a thing - now I am responsible and make a good living- family-
I cherish those years and love to remember them- As I said I have so many stories and I don't think most would believe most of them.

#13 ·
Well, I'm only gonna be a senior, but I am a good kid. I stay outta trouble and hang out with the same people just about every night. We drive Jeeps so that gives us something to do when everyone else is out drunk. Hopefully my kids will be good and not hell-raisers.:)

#14 ·
words cannot describe all the terror ok ok not terror but "problems" I unleashed while in school.

Lets just leave it at that... oh and there was a stint in time that I sold handguns at school.

Im not at all proud of any of the problems I caused... :(

And to think this was all at a $12K a year college prep school...

#15 ·
I didn't do any drugs or even smoked, but I definately concentrated harder on cheerleaders than algebra.:p
I wish I'd taken HS more seriously. I ended up after my senior year without enough credits to graduate, but I ROCKED the ASVAB tests and the USAF gave me a job working on radar! I got my HS diploma from a community college while in the AF.
I was always respectful of adults, but just not motivated by classes. My study habits are VERY different now at 44!.:cool:

#16 ·
I'm a rare combination of dork and delinquent... you didn't think somebody w/ a 1420 SAT and 4.181 GPA would smoke/sell pot, get kicked out of Mexico, and have a best friend who got arrested for assault with a deadly weapon (I didn't cuz I'm a better runner). But I honestly think I would be lucky to have kids no worse than me.

#17 ·
well, i tried to be a rebel, but virtualy everything was alowed at my former HS. we were pretty mutch treated as adulds who could make ther own dissisions so we could smoke, leave during breaks, arrive late, leave early , ect. since i was studying arts (visial arts and grafic design) we thought of us as to cool and inlighted to go wrecking stuff :D

#18 ·
I guess that I would have been considered a "band nerd" Although, I was captain of the drum line and actually kicked some of the jock's *****. I didnt fight much, but I always won. I did well in school, but the admin hated me as I thought for myself and wouldn't listen to them. Graduated near the top of my class, went to college, stayed a bit and dropped it because I didnt like the major. Became self employed and now own a successfull business at 23. I never smoked or drank much, and that has really paid off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.