went to register my brand new jeep...it was already registered - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > went to register my brand new jeep...it was already registered

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

went to register my brand new jeep...it was already registered

So here's a problem I didn't anticipate.

I leased a 2013 JKU at the end of September. I love it, it's wonderful, etc, etc.

Yesterday I went to the DMV to do all the title and registration stuff. The woman at the counter frowned at her computer for a while, and then said, "I won't be able to plate your vehicle today. It's already registered in ____ County" (the next county over).

She had never seen that before, so she made a few phone calls while I stood there. It turns out that the state had rejected the paperwork, because my VIN had already been used to register a vehicle in a neighboring county.

All she was ultimately able to do for me was issue me a new temp tag (since mine had 3 days left on it) and tell me to go see the dealer I leased it from. The mix-up must have come from there, she said.

So I went to the dealer. I described what the DMV had told me, and the dealer said that was impossible. Such a thing had never happened before. But the woman (I'm not sure what her job was...I take it she is the behind-the-scenes paperwork person) started making phone calls, and the "oh crap" look on her face grew stronger with every one. At one point she had me walk her out to the Jeep, which was sitting in the visitor lot, to check the VIN against the paperwork she had. It matched.

So, what seems to have happened is that I bought my Jeep and some other person bought his (or her) Jeep at around the same time. Somehow, a the other guy ended up with MY title paperwork, and the dealer sent in my paperwork with a copy of the paperwork that belongs to my Jeep. The other person registered his Jeep first, in a neighboring county, using MY VIN. So now, as far as the state is concerned, my Jeep is already registered, and titled, to this other person.

DMV won't tell the dealer (or me) who the other person is, out of privacy concerns I guess. The dealer seems to think that if they track that other person down, they can sort all this out. But this seems like a bigger SNAFU to me...can the state just un-do a title transfer or registration? Is this going to permanently damage the title? Will it show up as a 2-owner vehicle? I'm starting to really get nervous about the ramifications of this.

And if it isn't settled in 30 days, I don't know if I'll be able to get another temp tag. The DMV seemed reluctant to issue one this time.

Has anyone ever seen this happen, or is anyone in a position to say what might come of this? The woman at the dealer was very apologetic and made it a point to say over and over that she could fix it, but like I said, I'm very nervous.

Thoughts?

jessasfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unless you can show the dealer you bought from created the mess, not much other than let your dealer fix it. That and call the other dealer and tell them you'll be filing charges for stealing your info.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Americans have been registering autos for over 100 years and every screw up has been seen in some form or another. My dealer and State screwed up my Harley registration and I had to take to down to the State HQ for an inspection. It happens and will get straightened out.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
Unless you can show the dealer you bought from created the mess, not much other than let your dealer fix it. That and call the other dealer and tell them you'll be filing charges for stealing your info.
No one “stole” his info and there was no “other” dealer to call and threaten with made up nonsense.

The DMV is probably going to be tracking down the other registered owner since they are now aware of the mess up. Other than letting the dealer work this out, the only option is to dissolve the contract that was formed when you bought this Jeep. You bought a new Jeep and since the VIN on your Jeep has been previously registered, it does not meet the definition of “new”.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
fastfreddie

So, it should be $4K less now, correct?

I mean, technically, it's been registered for a year now or whatever.
Hope your warranty gets properly adjusted.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Can't say I know how Colorado law works but if you can't register the jeep then I'd say the lease is voidable.
If the dealer can't fix it by the time your temp plate expires tell them you want out of the lease. Lease another vehicle and let them have that one back.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm of the opinion that if the DMV can simply "undo" the first (erroneous) registration, and make it so that it never happened, then no harm no foul.

But if not, then I think I'll push for dissolving the contract. Although, of course when I bought it I agreed to arbitration, so I don't know how much legal standing I have. I'm nowhere near a lawyer.
jessasfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

The Dealer and DMV will get it straightened out. Technically, the other person is the one that should be worried. He has false registration!

If I were you and wanted to get this fixed quicker, I would go to my local SO and give them the VIN of your Jeep and ask them to see who it comes back to.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by number40Fan
The Dealer and DMV will get it straightened out. Technically, the other person is the one that should be worried. He has false registration! If I were you and wanted to get this fixed quicker, I would go to my local SO and give them the VIN of your Jeep and ask them to see who it comes back to.
The other guy is probably clueless, too. He's driving a technically unregistered and, I would think, uninsured vehicle.

The dmv doesn't have to tell OP the other persons info but it would be pretty negligent if they didn't inform the other person themselves.

I've never thought twice about matching the actual VIN to that in the various paperwork like registration and insurance. (except private sale title transfers). Makes me want to check....
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Every car I titled in Oklahoma, the person at the tag agency (done by private offices, not a state DMV) actually walked outside to verify the VIN. Subsequent registrations they didn't. Utah didn't care either way.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

This is a simple paperwork error. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. Everything will get straightened out. No need for contract cancellations, worry about 'two-owner' cars, being sold a 'used car' etc.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not certain, but most dealers charge you to do all the title and transfer stuff. If this was a fee in your contract, then they are responsible not you. If you paid them to do this, then they failed to uphold the contract.
danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
sieg
2008 JK Wrangler 

????????? You are leasing it, or buying it? If you are leasing it, who are you leasing it from? Aren't they the owner? Doesn't the owner register it? ???????
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
terrasmak
2007 WK 

I would be done with the leg work at that point and not even go to DMV, I would just tell the dealer I need my tags in 30 days or you can have the Jeep back.
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessasfella View Post
So here's a problem I didn't anticipate.

I leased a 2013 JKU at the end of September. I love it, it's wonderful, etc, etc.

Yesterday I went to the DMV to do all the title and registration stuff. The woman at the counter frowned at her computer for a while, and then said, "I won't be able to plate your vehicle today. It's already registered in ____ County" (the next county over).

She had never seen that before, so she made a few phone calls while I stood there. It turns out that the state had rejected the paperwork, because my VIN had already been used to register a vehicle in a neighboring county.

All she was ultimately able to do for me was issue me a new temp tag (since mine had 3 days left on it) and tell me to go see the dealer I leased it from. The mix-up must have come from there, she said.

So I went to the dealer. I described what the DMV had told me, and the dealer said that was impossible. Such a thing had never happened before. But the woman (I'm not sure what her job was...I take it she is the behind-the-scenes paperwork person) started making phone calls, and the "oh crap" look on her face grew stronger with every one. At one point she had me walk her out to the Jeep, which was sitting in the visitor lot, to check the VIN against the paperwork she had. It matched.

So, what seems to have happened is that I bought my Jeep and some other person bought his (or her) Jeep at around the same time. Somehow, a the other guy ended up with MY title paperwork, and the dealer sent in my paperwork with a copy of the paperwork that belongs to my Jeep. The other person registered his Jeep first, in a neighboring county, using MY VIN. So now, as far as the state is concerned, my Jeep is already registered, and titled, to this other person.

DMV won't tell the dealer (or me) who the other person is, out of privacy concerns I guess. The dealer seems to think that if they track that other person down, they can sort all this out. But this seems like a bigger SNAFU to me...can the state just un-do a title transfer or registration? Is this going to permanently damage the title? Will it show up as a 2-owner vehicle? I'm starting to really get nervous about the ramifications of this.

And if it isn't settled in 30 days, I don't know if I'll be able to get another temp tag. The DMV seemed reluctant to issue one this time.

Has anyone ever seen this happen, or is anyone in a position to say what might come of this? The woman at the dealer was very apologetic and made it a point to say over and over that she could fix it, but like I said, I'm very nervous.

Thoughts?
I will assume you have a bank lien on the new Jeep. Tell the bank that the dealer screwed up the VIN # on a previous title application/sale OR the DMV screwed up. Watch how fast this gets fixed.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.