Weekly DVD releases... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Weekly DVD releases...

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Weekly DVD releases...

Thinking about buying "I AM LEGEND", but not sure if I should buy the regular DVD or Blu-Ray. I haven't seen the movie. Any suggestions?

Just wanting to know what DVDs you own, and which movies are Blu-Ray/HD worthy of the extra cost. What do you guys have?

My 'must have on Blu-Ray' are:
Blade Runner
Fifth Element
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Aeon Flux

http://midpacsolutions.com
haumana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have Blu-Ray, but I'm gonna get I Am Legend as the HD-DVD/DVD combo disc. It's $18 at Amazon. But I notice that my HD-DVD player up-converts most movies to a near-HD quality, so it's a moot point in most cases anyway.

BTW, you should read the short story "I Am Legend." Different than the movie and with a different ending. Good stuff.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

An upconverted 480i disc isn't even close to a 1080i/p movie, seriously, the audio is second rate (this is one of the biggest things that hits you about the HD discs) and on a big screen you can REALLY notice the difference.

480i has about 1/10th the total number of pixels as 1080i, that's 1/10th the total information, so upscaling dvd players are just guessing at those pixels, upscaling really doesn't do the picture justice.

I have "I am Legend" showing up tomorrow on Blu Ray, Blade Runner I have on HD DVD and it looks incredible (BRD is going to be the same), Fifth Element on BRD looks awesome as well, make sure you get the remaster, the original BRD version sucked ***. "I, Robot" looks really nice even if it's a pretty mediocre story. Total Recall is a pretty mediocre transfer, it's so grainy that you probably WOULDN'T notice the difference between this and an upscaled DVD (same goes for the Big Lebowski on HD DVD).

Crouching Tiger I'll buy when it comes out, but I don't know if there's a release date for it yet, Aeon Flux I'm not sure I will bother with since I was none too impressed with the actual movie.

Transformers is coming to Blu Ray, that's well worth buying and Predator is out next month
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, my surround sound system is cheap, so if it has Dolby DTS or Dolby 5.1 I don't notice much of a difference at all over Dolby TruSurround. As far as the picture quality, I've got a 55" screen, and some of the up-converts can be pretty damn good. The only time I notice when they're really lacking over the HD-DVD sources are on distant shots - they're blurry where a BRD or HD-DVD would be much sharper.
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Dr. Righteous
1994 ZJ 

The "upconverting" that a DVD player does is actually only a conversion to progressive scan. You can't get more resolution than you start with. The output will say 1080i but the actual video content will be whatever was there for 480i.
'04 Durango Limited (the wife mobile)
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (Resto MoPar)
Dr. Righteous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Well, my surround sound system is cheap, so if it has Dolby DTS or Dolby 5.1 I don't notice much of a difference at all over Dolby TruSurround. As far as the picture quality, I've got a 55" screen, and some of the up-converts can be pretty damn good.
Well I can't say I've been too enthused by the quality of the upconverted DVDs I've seen, but it really does depend on the movie, some are such poor transfers that the only difference you get is that the film grain (noise) is higher quality.

If you have a high quality transfer like the new Blade Runner or Fifth Element, just showing the regular DVD on a 55" screen seems almost criminal
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
AlTheKillerr

i havent seen the movie and im not sure if will ever pay to see it. to much CGI for me ( i think i used the term CGI correctly)

as for which ones i own it would take me forever to type it all out. im not going to bother with HD or Blue Ray till one is way beyond the other
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^ Toshiba stopped making HD DVD players and all studios are eventually going to Blu Ray (only Paramount and Universal were left anyway), so Blu Ray has officially won the format war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
Well I can't say I've been too enthused by the quality of the upconverted DVDs I've seen, but it really does depend on the movie, some are such poor transfers that the only difference you get is that the film grain (noise) is higher quality.

If you have a high quality transfer like the new Blade Runner or Fifth Element, just showing the regular DVD on a 55" screen seems almost criminal
Yeah...eventually I'll get around to getting a PS3 and start accumulating Blu Ray discs.
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
i havent seen the movie and im not sure if will ever pay to see it. to much CGI for me ( i think i used the term CGI correctly)
You did, but you used "to" incorrectly
Quote:
im not going to bother with HD or Blue Ray till one is way beyond the other
News flash, the format war's over, Toshiba/HD DVD threw in the towel.
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
agreed. i think you lose a lot of 'freight factor' having all of the creatures done up in CGI.

Now American Gangster in HD is awesome
jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Freight?

CGI is overused a lot these days because it's cheaper than doing the effect in rubber, however, well done CGI is infinitely better than most rubber effects and allows you to do stuff that simply wouldn't work if it was done as a practical effect.

Gollum and Davy Jones are probably the two best digital characters ever done, at least in terms of complexity and execution, I'm having a hard time thinking how either of them would have worked better as practical effects.
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

whoops yeah fright, got me there.

agreed, some things are good when done in CG, other things like a room full of 'vampires' who are supposed to be breathing down the neck of Neville just isn't convincing to me.
jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post

Crouching Tiger I'll buy when it comes out, but I don't know if there's a release date for it yet, ...
It's been released. In fact Best Buy had it as one of the 'specials' - buy two selected Blu-Rays and get a $20 gift card instantly. Crouching Tiger was one of the ones I picked-up.

Okay, so back to the original topic. Whatelse falls into the Blu-Ray/HD category for you peeps?

Anybody seen Harry Potter in HiDef, and if so, how does it compare to the regular DVD (if you've seen both)?

http://midpacsolutions.com
haumana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I actually have the Order of the Phoenix in combo disc. It's great in high def.
Unread 03-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
AlTheKillerr

sorry for the to

i like CGI if it is done right. for some reason in the previews i have seen for that movie its just "fake" looking. i dont know just how i see it. thanks for the BR update. my brother just got an HD DVD player
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.