Weber carb. Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Weber carb. Problems

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Mcsnorider

Weber carb. Problems

Hello,
I have an 86' cj 7 with weber redline 32/36. Owned jeep for 4 years never any troubles running until now. Recently jeep has been running rough stalling out not idling etc. in the past I'd adjust best lean idle settings with warm engine bringing mixture screw and idle screw back to baseline settings, a little tweaking and all is well. However this time it is not the case. Cleaned out carb., changed fuel filter and no change. With the mixture screw two turns out and the idle screw one turn in after contact with the linkage, ( as the manual reads for baseline settings) the jeep will not run without assistance. The only way it will idle is with the idle screw almost all the way in. The mixture screw will stall the jeep out if turned in but, seems to do nothing turning it out. I also hear a popcorn type noise from the fuel dumping into the barrel of the carb at its best high idle it has now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mcsnorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your idle tubes are clogged.

Take top off carb, pull out the two idle tubes, clean them out.

If wanted your can also drill them out a bit to keep it from happening again.

Search "Weber Idle Tubes" for a howto.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

also, it never hurts to shake the float too, if you are having problems and have it apart, to see if it has a pin hole in it and is leaking .

32/36 mm. spread bore Weber carb. right ?

The last ones, that I played on years ago were on the 3 40 mm. Webers that I put on my 74 TR6 and the 32/36 that I put on my 74 VW Thing .

I love Webers and Dellortos too .

Old school baby !
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

It is very late and I will think about it more later today since I am up late and have had a few beers .

But the real answer may lie within whether is it running rich or lean .

Pull a plug and look at it maybe .

Black and sutty looking = rich .

Did you soak your main jet and idle jet in cleaner ?

" the idle screw one turn in after contact with the linkage "

That has me puzzled some because it just sound like just a neutral setting that has nothing to do with the real problem right ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Mcsnorider

Thx guys
I have not pulled the plugs yet, I did clean it pretty thoroughly though. I'm no super mechanic but, not really a novice either. Just a little frustrating. Never had any issues always ran fine then all of a sudden, f&$k! From what I can see the fuel flow through the carb seems restricted at low rpm. I'm out of town during the week but, will be trying to diagnose again this weekend. Will pull the plugs and tear into it again. Will post my findings. Thx again.
Mcsnorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsnorider View Post
Thx guys
I have not pulled the plugs yet, I did clean it pretty thoroughly though. I'm no super mechanic but, not really a novice either. Just a little frustrating. Never had any issues always ran fine then all of a sudden, f&$k! From what I can see the fuel flow through the carb seems restricted at low rpm. I'm out of town during the week but, will be trying to diagnose again this weekend. Will pull the plugs and tear into it again. Will post my findings. Thx again.
Clean your idle tubes.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.