Weak US Dollar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Weak US Dollar

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Keith
Admin

Weak US Dollar

I keep reading that the Euro is surpassing the US dollar and even the Canadian dollar is around the US dollar worth now. Also I read the AU dollar is on the rise.

What does this mean economically speaking?

I would think it's a bad sign but then I thought about how countries might buy more from us now since their money can buy more here.

Can someone with some knowledge on the issue spread some light on the pros/cons of a declining dollar.

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
ImRaptor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I keep reading that the Euro is surpassing the US dollar and even the Canadian dollar is around the US dollar worth now. Also I read the AU dollar is on the rise.
The Canadian dollar is higher than the US dollar now.
$1USD will get you $0.97CDN now.

From what I've been told a part of the reason is due to the amount of import vs exporting the US has been doing. Which makes sense, you send enough of your money out of country and take back less, your gold reserves are going to start to decrease and devalue your dollar.
That really falls into the whole concept these days of places doing manufacturing in China and Korea rather than in North America. While that company may save money on doing so, they are taking the money out from the USA.
Some forgein companies are doing more than some domestic ones these days to boost the USA economy. ei Honda and Toyota building in the USA. The companies may be forgien, but the money going to the workers is being kept in the USA.

for me.
ImRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
pianissimo357
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've forgotten way to much of my education to still be in school.

That being said, I <3 google.
http://www.chicagofed.org/consumer_i...eak_dollar.cfm
pianissimo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

We'll be fine until China decides it likes the Euro better than the American Dollar. Then we'll be well and truly screwed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
It's both bad and good. It means that the US is unable to spend as much worldwide, yet means others can spend more here. But also, on a larger note, it means the US dollar is a weaker source for investment than the Euro (and others), meaning when governments want to secure loans, they will look at the stronger money first, because it is more stable.

It's all cyclical anyways. It is an indicator though of a weak(er) economy though.
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

we need more wars. this world equality bull**** has got to stop
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
panathinaikos55
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRaptor
The Canadian dollar is higher than the US dollar now.
$1USD will get you $0.97CDN now.

From what I've been told a part of the reason is due to the amount of import vs exporting the US has been doing. Which makes sense, you send enough of your money out of country and take back less, your gold reserves are going to start to decrease and devalue your dollar.
That really falls into the whole concept these days of places doing manufacturing in China and Korea rather than in North America. While that company may save money on doing so, they are taking the money out from the USA.
Some forgein companies are doing more than some domestic ones these days to boost the USA economy. ei Honda and Toyota building in the USA. The companies may be forgien, but the money going to the workers is being kept in the USA.
The U.S. Dollar hasn't been backed by gold since like 1970.
panathinaikos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith

What does this mean economically speaking?

I would think it's a bad sign but then I thought about how countries might buy more from us now since their money can buy more here.

Can someone with some knowledge on the issue spread some light on the pros/cons of a declining dollar.
The canadia dollar is 1.05 to our dollar. And trust me, every canadian is proud of it. One even told me "Our [canadia] dollar is what is keeping the US aflot!".

And the Euro is more than surpassing the US. I heard its something like 3 euro to one US. I'll google after this and find out for sure.

I've had a few economic and political science professors state that it is better for Canada to be under our dollar. The have large exports including oil, diamonds, and lumber. Once they pass our dollar, we might start looking at other places to find those resources.

As War Eagle pointed out, lets hope China holds on to our dollar.

edit: Euro is only 1.42 to our dollar.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
dyna

Wait till one Peso`s worth $2 US dollars.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bring back prohibition, that'll get people spending money within the country. While they're at it they should legalize marijuana and tax the hell out of it. And bring back slavery...we should be able to capture illegals and make them our slaves in exchange for citizenship, 5 years = 1 citizenship...that doesn't really help the economy much, but it's funny as hell.
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
1999WJMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame0086
The canadia dollar is 1.05 to our dollar. And trust me, every canadian is proud of it. One even told me "Our [canadia] dollar is what is keeping the US aflot!".

And the Euro is more than surpassing the US. I heard its something like 3 euro to one US. I'll google after this and find out for sure.

I've had a few economic and political science professors state that it is better for Canada to be under our dollar. The have large exports including oil, diamonds, and lumber. Once they pass our dollar, we might start looking at other places to find those resources.

As War Eagle pointed out, lets hope China holds on to our dollar.

edit: Euro is only 1.42 to our dollar.
Not really our economy is doing better do to high dollar, locally here and most neighbouring provinces are having troubles finding employees. We have hit a major boom. Other countries do consume our goods you know...I dont even think USA is our biggest consumer of natural resources anymore.

HERS - 1996 XJ Sport 4.0 HO. Stock. Purple like her...uh...soul.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#37
1999WJMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
bono426
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat
we should be able to capture illegals and make them our slaves in exchange for citizenship, 5 years = 1 citizenship...that doesn't really help the economy much, but it's funny as hell.

hahahahaha. i fully support your thinking
Unread 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

One of my roomates is from Belgium and he was telling me how it costs him around 400-450 Euro to fly here but around $700 to fly back home.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #14
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

www.fairtax.org

Make the US a tax sanctuary and we'll be stronger than before.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087
www.fairtax.org

Make the US a tax sanctuary and we'll be stronger than before.
We already are...the only people who "hide" mine in the Caymans is Americans. Every one else puts there money here. And as for the world switching to Euros instead of good ole greenbacks i doubt it anytime soon. Go anywhere in the world and I mean anywhere. Pull out a $1 bill (or any other denomination) and you can buy anything. Try that with a Euro and they will look at it like Monopoly money.

To the OP...the dollar being "weak" just means we will import less and export more...there goes the trade deffecit. Also, all the out sourcing becomes more expensive...here comes all the jobs that left. Yes, our imports like gasoline will be more expensive and in turn the corn they want/need will also be expensive since we are propping up our fuel supply with ethanol.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.