Water heater question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Water heater question

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
POLBOSS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Water heater question

I live in a building that houses 8 lofts (my boss owns the building, He only charges me $250 a month for a 900sq ft loft), anyway, there's a water heater that sends hot water to all 8 lofts.

Lately as the days become colder, the hot water was not hot enough, so I asked my boss if I could turn up the temperature on the water heater and he accepted, I went into the storage room where the water heater is, the choices on the thermostat are warm, hot, and very hot (but you can dial any setting in between), the thermostat was a little bit higher than the hot setting, so I put it all the way up to very hot.

The hot water temperature now feels really good, now I can even mix cold water to bring the temperature a little bit down.

Ok, so this morning somebody was knocking at my door, it was my neighbor that lives in the house next to the building, he told me that the relief pipe coming from the water heater was sending water out, I went to check and you can see a drop coming out like every 3 seconds, my neighbor said that no water should be coming out from there at all, that if water comes out that means something is wrong.

Personally, I think that is just some water condensation from the steam coming out of the heater, but I don't know.

What are you thoughts?
Thanks for your input

POLBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLBOSS
I live in a building that houses 8 lofts (my boss owns the building, He only charges me $250 a month for a 900sq ft loft), anyway, there's a water heater that sends hot water to all 8 lofts.

Lately as the days become colder, the hot water was not hot enough, so I asked my boss if I could turn up the temperature on the water heater and he accepted, I went into the storage room where the water heater is, the choices on the thermostat are warm, hot, and very hot (but you can dial any setting in between), the thermostat was a little bit higher than the hot setting, so I put it all the way up to very hot.

The hot water temperature now feels really good, now I can even mix cold water to bring the temperature a little bit down.

Ok, so this morning somebody was knocking at my door, it was my neighbor that lives in the house next to the building, he told me that the relief pipe coming from the water heater was sending water out, I went to check and you can see a drop coming out like every 3 seconds, my neighbor said that no water should be coming out from there at all, that if water comes out that means something is wrong.

Personally, I think that is just some water condensation from the steam coming out of the heater, but I don't know.

What are you thoughts?
Thanks for your input
It's not supposed to do that. You can try turning the temp down just a hair, but my guess is that the valve is bad. They sometimes start leaking and won't reseal so you have to replace them. They are cheap and they just screw out/in. I've had to replace them on both my water heaters and my furnace (we have radiators for heat).

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
kingkawi

try lifting up on the relief valve handle to manually let some water out... if its lwaking because there is some debree caught in it then that will probably wash it out and stop it from leaking... or just ge a new one... either way it shouldn't leak.
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
POLBOSS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Probably my main question is if I should worry that the water heater will explode or something or the worst that can happen is that the leak becomes bigger?
POLBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
isezumi00

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLBOSS
Probably my main question is if I should worry that the water heater will explode or something or the worst that can happen is that the leak becomes bigger?
Its a temperature/pressure relief valve!

The worst that can happen is it goes Pop and you spend the next 3 months with your thumb deposited in your anus wondering why your showers suck.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Indy

or you spend the next 3 monts mopping up the mess and trying to dry the room out before it molds. Easiest thing to do is shut down the heater, let it cool and replace the valve. If the leak continues with the new valve the heater is creating too much pressure and needs to be replaced. If its an older heater there's a pretty good chance it's due.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.