Water on garage floor from snow-melt. What to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Water on garage floor from snow-melt. What to do?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Water on garage floor from snow-melt. What to do?

Two-car garage. Cars pull in with snow, fenderbergs, wet stuff.

Snow melts, floor covers in water. No floor drain, and the concrete has random lowspots, so water pools in several spots, but doesn't run to the door.

Last year, I did a lot of squeegeeing. This year, I glued pressure-treated 1x2's to the floor (creating a containment wall), and sealed the wood with good sealant.

The water now stays within the borders I created, but I have to shop-vac GALLONS of water every day, along with still squeegeeeing towards door.

Those of you who park in a garage, what have you done to deal with this?

I was thinking of cutting grooves in the concrete, that lead to the door. I don't know enough about construction to know whether that would turn into a very bad idea (it certainly would lead to ice out in the driveway).

(We're talking about a LOT of water here. One mudflap-iceberg can contain almost a gallon of water)

CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Gina
1997 TJ Wrangler 

have you looked into installing a pump, the type people run in their basements for flooding?..the proper name escapes me right now..On a heavy round of vicodin,. hahah
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Teach your Jeep to do this.
YouTube - Jeep: Shake
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
tjchad04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

it's a garage, how is water effecting it? does your garage get below freezing? i've never seen one with a drain, the water in mine just evaporates.
tjchad04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A pump might work, the problem would be.. where to dig the hole. There are 3 main pooling locations, each one te or so feet from eachother.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
amike_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If possible you can run hot water to a garden hose and spray off the chunks if ice/snow while the cars are still outside?
amike_321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

That is why Garages have concrete floors and are supposed to have a 4" lip at the walls and at the front.

Should dry up pretty good....

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get some concrete or portland mix and fill in the low spots.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
yellow_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You could try this LEVELEX ™ Portland Cement-Based, Self-Leveling, Polymer-Modified Underlayment - L&M Construction Chemicals
Yellow Jeep Club member # 16
Jeeps dont die they get rebuilt bigger and stronger, like the 6 million dollar man!
yellow_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do what I do.
Park it outside.
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine evaporates even when it is in the negatives. It's an attached garage... Does that tell you inefficient my home is insulated? It's only 12 years old too.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
xxxflhrci

The pump is a sump pump....Definitely not what you want to get into just to get a few gallons of water outta your garage.

Personally, I've never heard of anybody doing anything much about the water. They just let it dry on it's own. I agree with the guy above. I'd just park outside. You car will be better for it by not pulling it in as far as rust prevention goes.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
96_XJ_Sport
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what about a larger dehumidfier with a drain hose that runs outside instead of a tank?
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
jeep161
2009 JK Wrangler 

use the levelex then make a french drain !!!
jeep161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
xxxflhrci

Unless it's fairly warm in his garage, a dehumidifier will likely freeze up.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.