Which Watch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Which Watch?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineParacord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.com

View Poll Results: Smartwatch or "Normal" watch?
Bulova 4 66.67%
LG G Watch R 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Which Watch?

So I'm turing 30 in the next couple of weeks and I have decided to ask for a new watch, something "grown upish". I thought I had my mind made up, but then I glanced at a smartwatch that I liked.

Basically what im looking for in a watch is something to wear daily to work (office setting) and can also be used as a dress watch for weddings etc. Which I feel both could do.

Thoughts?
Is too soon to jump on a smartwatch?

I'm set on 2 very different watches.

1- Bulova Precisionist ($400ish)
Classic watch

2 - LG G Watch R ($300ish)
Smartwatch

Being an android smartwatch the faces available are limitless really
Stock it comes with these

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I'm a purist and like clean faces.
Of your choices I like the LG for it's uncluttered look.

Right now I'm wearing an Uzi Protector. Nice clean face, good to 200m and it's one of the very few watches that still use radioactive elements in the face so even at 3 in the morning the hands and points are glowing bright.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

While I don't have an Android Wear based smartwatch (WindowsPhone based household), I do have a Microsoft Band Smartwatch/fitness tracker that I love! So, my vote would definitely be for the LG G Watch R. I can check and send texts, interact with Cortana (their version of Google Now), track my calories and exercise, and all sorts of fun stuff.
Unread 05-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The techy in me says Android watch all day! But the growing "don't rely on smart stuff so much" side of me says get a normal watch.

As I'm just getting back into wearing a watch after 20 years of checking my phone for the time, I'm bias to function over form.
Wal-Mart Timex to get used to wearing one again, then an Amourlite when I have money to spare.
If I was looking for a second watch, it would be a dress watch like the Bulova. Although it's a little too busy for me.
I'd have to see the feature list before spending my own money on a smart watch. I'm not sold on the idea yet.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
LVJeepster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bulova looks more professional for daily wear IMO... smart watch is cool but doesn't look as classy.
LVJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

I appreciate the insight all, you'd think I was purchasing a new house or something as much thought im putting into this..

The nerd in me loves the idea of a smart-watch.

But the classic, nostalgic guy in me loves the idea of a watch that will basically last forever (not saying the LG won't, but it hasn't been proven).
Unread 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'd pick the Bulova if these are the choices because I love the craftsmanship and art of a true wristwatch and don't trust that a smartwatch has the longevity of a well-crafted watch, but I'm not fond of busy cases/faces and chronographs unless they're actually used; so many people never use chronographs. If you like the style and chronograph, I've no problem with that. There is also a good chance that the Bulova (especially one of the Precisionist collection) is a more precise timepiece than a smartwatch especially if the smartwatch doesn't have a data connection to check-in with. I can't see that particular Precisionist model being worn with formal dress, however--it's so industrial/loud/busy/inelegant.

I love watches and have a collection of 1920-1970 Bulovas all different and best for different occasions and outfits. My favorites are my 1935 Saxon/Hudson, 47 His Excellency SS, and 65 Commander E. Depending on which suit I wear, both the 35 and the 47 are gorgeous dress pieces, and the 65 makes for a fantastic daily watch as it is much sturdier and waterproof though it could still pull off more formal events easily. I love the rich history, art, and craftsmanship of mechanical watches. I also dislike the huge face fad of today especially since I don't have very large wrists; antique/vintage pieces tend to be smaller and much better fitting on my wrist than today's humongous watches.

Sent from my phone.
Unread 05-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm a nerd (and I embrace that), that's why I chose the smart watch.
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I'd pick the Bulova if these are the choices because I love the craftsmanship and art of a true wristwatch and don't trust that a smartwatch has the longevity of a well-crafted watch, but I'm not fond of busy cases/faces and chronographs unless they're actually used; so many people never use chronographs. If you like the style and chronograph, I've no problem with that. There is also a good chance that the Bulova (especially one of the Precisionist collection) is a more precise timepiece than a smartwatch especially if the smartwatch doesn't have a data connection to check-in with. I can't see that particular Precisionist model being worn with formal dress, however--it's so industrial/loud/busy/inelegant.

I love watches and have a collection of 1920-1970 Bulovas all different and best for different occasions and outfits. My favorites are my 1935 Saxon/Hudson, 47 His Excellency SS, and 65 Commander E. Depending on which suit I wear, both the 35 and the 47 are gorgeous dress pieces, and the 65 makes for a fantastic daily watch as it is much sturdier and waterproof though it could still pull off more formal events easily. I love the rich history, art, and craftsmanship of mechanical watches. I also dislike the huge face fad of today especially since I don't have very large wrists; antique/vintage pieces tend to be smaller and much better fitting on my wrist than today's humongous watches.

Sent from my phone.
Wow man awesome insight, I truly appreciate it.

Personally I like the look of a chronograph, will I use it? Probably not, if I'm being honest.

The Bulova is a tad busy I agree, ive also looked at a couple citizen watches that were a tab less busy. I've got larger wrists so a big face is kind of what I'm looking for.

Ideally I would own both but that isn't in the cards. I'm no watch collector, but I wear one everyday. I've got a G-shock tide watch as my daily and a rip curl for dress.
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
So I'm turing 30 in the next couple of weeks and I have decided to ask for a new watch, something "grown upish". I thought I had my mind made up, but then I glanced at a smartwatch that I liked.

Basically what im looking for in a watch is something to wear daily to work (office setting) and can also be used as a dress watch for weddings etc. Which I feel both could do.

Thoughts?
Is too soon to jump on a smartwatch?

I'm set on 2 very different watches.

1- Bulova Precisionist ($400ish)
Classic watch

2 - LG G Watch R ($300ish)
Smartwatch

Being an android smartwatch the faces available are limitless really
Stock it comes with these
I prefer digital watches, as they are easier to read while timing instrument approaches and procedure turns.
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #11
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There are many other Precisionist models that aren't quite as busy but still do have a chronograph in case you didn't know and would be interested in such a thing. I like the 96B182/3 or 98B226/7--still get the chronograph but get a little cleaner look. There are "graphless" Precisionists as well which look quite classy and could probably pull-off formal quite well.

I do have to appreciate Bulova's modern chronographs for their remarkable precision, though--all the way down to thousandths of a second.
Unread 05-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #12
Cause
WHAT !!!!

I've have and have worn the same watch for forty-two years. Try and beat that.
Rolex Datejust.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause View Post
I've have and have worn the same watch for forty-two years. Try and beat that.
Rolex Datejust.
Did your sun dial break?
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

I think I'm going to go mechanical this time around. Thanks is for the input, guys. I want the smartwatch industry to evolve a little more before I jump on one.

I'll post what watch I decide on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.