Wanting to put a roof over my deck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Wanting to put a roof over my deck

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Otahyoni

Wanting to put a roof over my deck

I'm looking for ideas for a free-standing roof over my deck. Any suggestions or ideas?

I don't have a measurement of the deck but i do know that due to the height of the deck and the height of the addition, i can't tie into the existing roof.

I know some of you have covered decks, what did you do?

Otahyoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
NEVERSWEAT
Northman

2006 TJ Wrangler 

many cases you would want to leave it freestanding.. existing walls may not be racked true. Some settling takes place and will throw the new addition off. The code prohibits certain structural techniques. I build decks.. have put flat roofs on.. gabled roofs, put plastic sheathing ( lexan) down, louvered roofs, furring strips, any % shade, heavy timber. I love the look of a well built deck. I do not tune pianos but build more linear, less technical structures. What are you looking for... what suits your needs ? Aesthetics? practicality?
Uncle Willy, The InnKeeper #3
06 Rubicon locked and loaded....
NEVERSWEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Otahyoni

Not looking for anything real fancy. The house is an old house and the deck is well weathered.

The biggest reason for wanting the roof is for shade and protection from rain.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
jeffa187
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Heres one I built, obviously doesn't cover the whole deck, but something similar would be sweet.

I am in the process of building 2 others that are much larger. They have a truss/web design on the open ends of the gable roof made from cedar timbers. IMO, that is the best looking way to go.

I will try to find pics on the web and will post mine when I complete the current projects.

jeffa187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Otahyoni

That looks very nice. I don't think i could afford cedar though.

I'm thinking maybe a ceiling height of 7' measured from the deck and a relatively low pitched roof with ample overhang to protect from blown rain.

I like to sit outside and watch it rain...

Any idea on how to keep rain from blowing in between the deck roof and the house?
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
NEVERSWEAT
Northman

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Holy jesus.. you reading my mind here??
nice job.. flat and gabled.. I have alwaysd liked the combo. I will find one and shoot it out.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
jeffa187
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I really like this one. It is similar to the ones Im building now.

Unread 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
jeffa187
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OP, the main factor then it what you are looking for is budget. It would help to know what suggestions to make if we knew your budget for this project.

You seem to be going more towards function than form. But you don't want to just throw something up. Build the nicest structure you can afford.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Otahyoni

This is a quick and dirty version of what i'm dealing with.

The roof slants towards the deck and there is no gutter there. The height of the roof at that point I would estimate at about 7 feet.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Otahyoni

This is my first house so i really don't know much about the cost of build something like this.

I have plenty of know-how to build it, I've just never had to purchase anything. It's all been helping my parents and grandparents.

What would be an inexpensive but sturdy route to take? I prefer the look of natural wood, so a clear preservative would be my choice over paint. I'm also not too proud to make the roof out of treated lumber and plywood.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
jeffa187
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It seems the best idea would be to extend the roof from your house to cover the deck. You could tie it in a few feet up the slope so it won't be too low at the edge of the deck. Frame it and finish it out just like a porch.
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
NEVERSWEAT
Northman

2006 TJ Wrangler 

hre is one of my designs. Ripped alot of redwood for this but the end result was awesome.. the tub is centered between two level with a cut out above with a lexan cut out and an outside fan to keep the air thermals active.
This is total free standing I matched a patio cover off existing top plate roof line. I had to compensate for level and lagged it in. Same size timbers offest by 50% shade on SW aspect.. pic coming
deck-gazebo-jacuzzi.gif  
Unread 09-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Otahyoni

Jeffa, with jest last week getting a new roof put on, i really don't want to tie it into the existing roof. Also the addition is a flat roof with very little pitch. I can get a short length of gutter to redirect rain away from the deck. I'm mostly looking for a suggestion on how to keep rain from blowing in between the addition and the deck roof.

I think i might need to take some measurements and think things over. This is a 'down the road' project. The roof about wiped me out and my bank acct. needs a little time to recover. Just fishing for now...
Unread 09-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
NEVERSWEAT
Northman

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the matching linear flat roof 50% shade furring ledger lagged to top plate. and also gable studs. On the far side you can ses I cut out a small section
28"x28" to allow tree to grow through.. it was a small 25 gallon pup when I planted it. It eventually grew up through the hole and I continmued to lollipop it it until the canopy was above roof of cover. It is like 17 inches through the hole now. I do not live there any longer.. do not know if they will cut larger hole or cut it down..

On this close side I have it overlapping the offside cover on the other side of the house. I ran EMT over the top on strips for camoflauge and added wireless speakers and even a drip system for plant hangers. it was nice.
french-doors-my-bedroom-patio-too-.gif  
Unread 09-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Otahyoni

You sound like quite the talented builder.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.