walmart battery warranty w/o receipt? Have date code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > walmart battery warranty w/o receipt? Have date code

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

walmart battery warranty w/o receipt? Have date code

Hey, My XJ has a group 65 battery in it. It came with the rig, and isnt in the best of condition. It's rated for 850CCA, and only puts out 600cca. It's plenty to start the jeep, but dont dare turn on the headlights before starting. The battery tests out bad, and I want a replacement.

Its a Walmart everstart maxx 65n, made by johnson controls. I took the jeep to them, and explained my situation. The service rep said that the battery doesnt have a date sticker, and that it's too old. When I asked how old, she said she didnt know because of the old style date code burnt into the side of the case... It's a 3 year 92 month pro rated battery, why dont they have a chart for the date codes???

Anyways, I've done some digging, and gotten nowhere. Trying to look up the 7 diget date code online gets me nowhere, and searching for a date code chart doesnt get me anything either.

The date code is Digit 1:6, Digit 2:D, Digit 3:2, Digit 4: 9 or 8, Digit 5: D or B, Digit 6:P, Digit 7:B

Or ONE of the following 6D29DPB, 6D28DPB, 6D29BPD, 6D28BPB

Any help in determining how old this battery is?

Tks!
~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

google is an amazing thing.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5818399_read...batteries.html

not sure it if matches though, unless you read the numbers wrong
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks...

That does not help me, at all, as the date code inscribed in mine is 7 digits, and doesn't correspond with that web pages instructions.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=i+already+googled+it

Looking for some info on date codes in a 7 digit format.
Tks!
~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Still looking for info.

Tks!
~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Unread 02-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

The batteries I have purchased at WalMart for the last 4 years ( and I tend to go through a lot of batteries between the cars, trucks, tractors, RV, Security gate and such) have all had date stickers on them. It used to be that WalMart would put a copy of the sale receipt in a plastic bag on the side of the battery when you purchased it as proof of warranty.
It sounds like your battery is over 3 years old. If they were to pro-rate it at this point, I wouldn't expect much in the way of credit. More frustration then credit, is it worth it? I would recommend just go a head and purchase a new battery.....if you are frustrated with WalMart, purchase your battery else where.
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How do you know it's a JohnsonControls EverStart? And not an older Exide EverStart? They just switched over from Exide to JC last spring. On the top of the battery where the bar code is, there should be a bar code that says "serial number". The first few letters will tell you who made it. EXI = Exide, JCA = Johnson.
There also should be a date sticker on one of the sides.

2007 Avalanche LTZ
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
BPJOOP93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wal-mart will take anything back as a return as long as they can scan the upc#. get a new one.
BPJOOP93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I know it is a johnson controls battery due to the tag on the top, that is imprinted with "johnson controls"

Did some digging, and my neon forum helped me find out this battery was made in year 2009, month April, day 28 or 29 (6D28 or 6D29)

It's 57 months old. I called the other walmart to confirm everything and they agreed. It's worth $37 tourds a new battery that retails for $83.

The group 65 battery costs about $15 more then the regular group 34, and has 850cca vs 550cca. For this environment, it's well worth it!

Thanks for the ideas
~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Unread 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd rather buy a battery from the devil then from Walmart. I've been there.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Walmart will take it mine was almost two years old.
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Indy

I had a couple exides in my old cheybby diesel, froze up like crazy and those things cranked the engine forever. I had one 1 my samurai that was reaching the end of it's life when it dropped a cell, easy return/replacement. No issues buying them from me.
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Getting that code off the battery is the only thing you can do. Since you don't have the receipt they can't prove how old it is and since you didn't buy it they can't look you up in the system.

The only other thing they could possibly do is scan the vin. But that only works if they installed the battery.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJOOP93 View Post
Wal-mart will take anything back as a return as long as they can scan the upc#. get a new one.
Walmart is great, Walmart is good, let us thank them for our food. Buy from your local dealer.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
cmotsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembudonna View Post
I'd rather buy a battery from the devil then from Walmart. I've been there.
Its more difficult to return things in hell though.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
murrayII
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Wal-Mart "Everstart" batteries.... I've all ways called them "never start" batteries.. they are CRAP!

Optima batteries FTW!

-MurrayII
murrayII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.