USPS Priority Mail...packaging question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > USPS Priority Mail...packaging question

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

USPS Priority Mail...packaging question

This is the second time I have sold something on eBay in a week. I use Priority Mail as the shipping option. Last week it took me forever to drive all the way to the post office to package it up and ship it there; I got a $115 parking ticket because there was nowhere to park, and I just can't go through the whole process again. I have leftover packaging from when I received a book that could fit the product (video game) that I am shipping just perfectly. If I use a pre-paid Priority Mail shipping label, can I use my own packaging and drop it in a blue mailbox, or do I need their special packaging?

Thanks!

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you need their box if you are doing the flat rate price but you can pay and print a label at home.

I think the only other issue might be security requirement for anything over a pound or two to be dropped off rather than put in a blue box.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ugh are you sure I need their box!? I seriously cannot go through with that again...I swear it was like driving through China (Flushing, Queens) the last time I went. I got books that say USPS Media Mail and it isn't in their packaging. Also, it is nowhere near a pound.

***Edit*** On the drop-down list where I pick the shipping method, it is preset at Priority Mail Package/Large Envelope...there is a flat rate option, so this isn't flat rate.
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, eBay people on Yahoo! Answers said it didn't matter, so I'm good to go.
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Bender92YJ

You do not need USPS box/packaging for priority service. But you do need the FLAT RATE box if you are trying to send it FLAT RATE. Since your not doing flat rate, just package it up and send with prepaid label.
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There should also be a "pickup" option somewhere on the USPS website, where they will actually come out and pick up the package from you.
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can order flat rate boxes online (they are free) and the mailman will deliver them. Once you fill them call for a pick up.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For the flat rate you need their box. For Priority mail you can use any acceptable packaging. No other labels than the address and things like fragile, this end up etc., Secure walls so they don't crush...all the specifics is on the USPS web site.
I've got two kids in college, hours from us and each other, I send a LOT of things through Priority mail and I've used everything from repurposed flat rate boxes to shoe boxes. Pack it so it doesn't rattle around, cover it with brown paper bag if it has too much stuff printed on it, label right and send.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
For the flat rate you need their box. For Priority mail you can use any acceptable packaging. No other labels than the address and things like fragile, this end up etc., Secure walls so they don't crush...all the specifics is on the USPS web site.
I've got two kids in college, hours from us and each other, I send a LOT of things through Priority mail and I've used everything from repurposed flat rate boxes to shoe boxes. Pack it so it doesn't rattle around, cover it with brown paper bag if it has too much stuff printed on it, label right and send.
Will I be alright if I tape my new label over an old one? and I am marking out the barcode from the old label just in case it somehow scans through.
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Will I be alright if I tape my new label over an old one? and I am marking out the barcode from the old label just in case it somehow scans through.
Yep, that is the way to do it.
Unread 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet, thanks for your help guys.
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

My "package" doesn't fit in USPS's package!

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
My "package" doesn't fit in USPS's package!
I heard you could package your "package" in an Altoids tin.

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.