Unlocking cell phones illegal? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Unlocking cell phones illegal?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Zero impact really, even the article points out that you can get an unlocked smartphone for $300.
You can NOW. Wait until the four providers (maybe less when they merge) stop providing affordable service unless you buy a phone from them and then refuse to unlock it so you can move to another network.

Unread 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalBlue View Post
Then leave.
oh god your one of them.

and theres nothing you can effectively do about it without a couple million dollars, some friends in very high places, and then some more important friends.
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
You can NOW. Wait until the four providers (maybe less when they merge) stop providing affordable service unless you buy a phone from them and then refuse to unlock it so you can move to another network.
The Google Nexus 4 ships unlocked, you can use it on any carrier on any pay as you go plan. I think Apple also offers the iPone 5 unlocked.

Toss it on a pay as you go plan and you're not locked in.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
GunMetalBlue
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJlover

oh god your one of them.

and theres nothing you can effectively do about it without a couple million dollars, some friends in very high places, and then some more important friends.
I'm not the one asking "why am I still here" over cell phone laws.

[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I]shall not be infringed[/I][/B][/FONT]
GunMetalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's just their way of cracking down on people getting free/cheap phones for signing up or renewing and then just bouncing off to another carrier; they lose money on the phones already as it is without the addition of people bailing on their contracts early.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
It's just their way of cracking down on people getting free/cheap phones for signing up or renewing and then just bouncing off to another carrier; they lose money on the phones already as it is without the addition of people bailing on their contracts early.
cell phone companies already overcharge for every single thing they offer.
i suggest you read this article.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19268...ewing-you.html
this for example
Quote:
So $20 a month for a texting plan isn't bad, right? Especially when you consider that without a texting plan in place, each text costs 20 cents a pop.

Here's the thing that cellphone companies don't want you to know, though: Even the flat rate is a rip-off, because text messages cost basically nothing for them to send. Texts are kind of piggybacking on data they have to send anyway.

When your phone is connected to a network, it operates on two different channels. One is the voice/data channel and the other is what's called the control channel. The control channel is saved for your phone saying, "Hey, I'm here!" to the tower and the tower saying "OK!" in return. It is constantly sending this traffic no matter what you do. Text messages use this channel.

Which is to say, this channel is used the same way whether a text is incoming or not. Have you ever wondered why texts are limited to 160 characters? It's because that's the maximum length of a string of data that the control channel can carry. When you send or receive a text, it's just the tower sending that instead of its usual "OK!" string. If there's no text message there, it just fills the space anyway.

Even so, because texts are such tiny chunks of data, the phone companies are effectively charging you more than 7,000 percent more for a text than they do for the same amount of data downloaded as part of your regular data plan. A scientist in England found that a text costs four times as much as it would cost to send the same data from the Hubble Space Telescope.

It's kind of the data equivalent of bottled water. Because the total price is fairly low, you don't notice the obscene markup on what you're actually getting.

and gunmetal...
its not just the cell phone thing...
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't need to read anything, because I don't give a ****. My iPhone 5 came unlocked from Verizon.

It's been known for a long time that texts are mere bytes that are no different than ping data anyway. The catch is there's no point in having a smartphone without a data plan anyway, so it's redundant.

Unread 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
WJlover
1999 WJ 

i said i suggest. not you need.

the tone is unnecessary.
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So is whining about anything that resembles capitalism.

Unread 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't need to read anything, because I don't give a ****. My iPhone 5 came unlocked from Verizon.

It's been known for a long time that texts are mere bytes that are no different than ping data anyway. The catch is there's no point in having a smartphone without a data plan anyway, so it's redundant.
This. I cant believe people are actually *****ing about this ****. There are still phones sold that are unlocked. The law only pertains to the buyer unlocking LOCKED devices.

My dna is unlocked from the factory. I could go to sprint or ATT if I wanted.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
So is whining about anything that resembles capitalism.
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
b3nj4m1n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
nothing is illegal until you get caught.
No one is going to go after people that unlocked their phones, but what it does is make tools to unlock them illegal
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
b3nj4m1n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post

This. I cant believe people are actually *****ing about this ****. There are still phones sold that are unlocked. The law only pertains to the buyer unlocking LOCKED devices.

At&t ya, you can use one of their sims, probably limited to 3g though, sprint no, they won't add a phone with an esn that didn't originate on their network
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post

Good luck using a CDMA phone on a GSM network
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #30
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nj4m1n View Post

At&t ya, you can use one of their sims, probably limited to 3g though, sprint no, they won't add a phone with an esn that didn't originate on their network
Oh yeah thats right. I think I saw a thread someone made wherre they were using a dna on tmobile as well not sure if they hsd 4g or not though

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.