The United States Treasury wants to give me $7000 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > The United States Treasury wants to give me $7000

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
vitapimp
Owner of REPOST™

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The United States Treasury wants to give me $7000

I just received a call from this guy, Robert, telling me I was being awarded a $7000 grant that I could use for anything. He knew my name and home address. He asked how long I've lived here and what was my DOB to verify I am over 18. He said he could have the funds ready for me to use within a few hours if I gave him a credit card number, a savings or checking account number (hello, red flag...SCAM).

When I wouldn't give him that info and told him a treasury check will be fine he explained that it was not a secure process to send me a check. He advised me that the check might get lost and an account number would be better. I informed he it was not secure for me to give my account info to some stranger who says he works for the US Treasury. He proceeded to tell me he was not lying and was pretty insistent I give him my account info to speed the process of me receiving my "movie check". I told him if he worked for the US Treasury department then he had access to plenty of checks and that it would be fine.

He said I just needed to call 202-684-6582 and give them my confirmation number RO171 to get my check processed. He called on my home phone so as I was talking to him I called the number from my work phone (VOIP). There was no answer, it went straight to busy. So, I started to ask him a bunch of questions about the program, how long has it been in service, how do they decide who wins, where is he calling me from, why can't he send it to me, why do I have to call someone, etc... he had all the right info. Well, at least it sounded right.

I googled the number and it seems a lot of people have been reporting it as a scam with the same MO. Needless to say, I will probably never see my grant money because my check will be lost in the mail or one of you butt heads will call first and use my confirmation number to claim my prize.

Before we hung up I asked him if he was related to the prince of Nigeria. He asked why I would ask such a question. I told him he had a heavy accent and he was offering me money.

In short, the prince of Nigeria, aka "Robert", called me pretending to work for the US Treasury offering me $7000 of my own tax money.

<>< Member #35
Red Jeep Club Member #337

What you are is God's gift to you...
What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
Make a change. Be different.
vitapimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
stpeteTJ

Wow... that's pretty ballsy.. scamming a person over the phone, and actively lieing and what not...

You have caller idea at your home phone? What was the number he called from? Maybe we can get some people to harass this guy...
stpeteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oh man, I wish he would call me. I would have a lot of fun with it.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Kota04SXT
2006 WK 

That story made me LOL
Kota04SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
vitapimp
Owner of REPOST™

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteTJ View Post

You have caller idea at your home phone?
no caller id, i wish i did. our home phone is for my dsl line. it probably would have said blocked or something.

weird thing, and I kid you not, he just called again asking me if i called that number!! maybe he does really work for the US Treasury?

i asked him for another number and he said that is the only one. i said what if i never get through? he said be patient, there are over 15,000 people that have been awarded and they are calling too. i told him you would think out government would have more than one number, but he said there is only one number.
<>< Member #35
Red Jeep Club Member #337

What you are is God's gift to you...
What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
Make a change. Be different.
vitapimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitapimp View Post
nthere are over 15,000 people that have been awarded and they are calling too.
Thats 105,000,000 bucks! Hell i wouldn't put it past the government to do something like this, but in your case it sounds scamish.

Ask the guy out to dinner with your new found fortune.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
bono426
2005 WK 

ask if you can pick it up
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There's a sucker born every minute. Good thing you were smart and not this idiot:

Quote:
DO NOT CALL THEM BACK AND SEND ANY MONEY!!
I HAVE SENT THEM $100 THROUGH WESTERN UNION TO INDIA AND THEY STOPPED ANSWERING MY PHONE NEXT DAY AND $7000 GRANT NEVER CAME UNTIL THIS DAY!

The fedex was the carrier that would deliver the grant check but they never came. Before I sent the money I asked their address in DC and the supervisor told me the address is

200 Independence Ave. NW Washington DC

Everyone please do not be scammed by this. I had extra cash to test them out and they were fraud. They call themselves holy man and they had strong Indian accent and they are from Delhi India. The teller told me he believes in god and he has 6 years old daughter and if he does anything fraud in his life, he will be punished by God. He obviously put a god's name and his daughter up front for his honesty, but he is a horrific cold liar. I still can't even believe he destroys his nation's image like that... His name was Alex William but I hardly doubt that kind of name has strong Indian accent.

Do not send money to them. I did it to test out because I had some extra cash. There was one time a lady with a strong african american accent picked up the phone. She probably going to say it is for her African people. Do not fall for it!!!!

They will say "You will get $7000 grant once you make a payment of $99 through western union. You will receive the check within 15mins after payment has gone through" "The $99 is for donation for poor children in India(or Africa or Asia)"

Again anyone who fell for this scam must report to local police office like I did.
Caller ID: Washington DC
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haha if they call and say for you to send $100 or whatever for poor children, just ask "couldn't you just donate my share to them?" and see what they say.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

The number he called from doesn't necessarily mean anything. Nowadays thieves commonly use software that forces the phone switch to display a bogus number that the perpetrator is calling from. The only thing you can rely on is the thief probably re-uses this same number because it took him minor effort to discover an out of service number.

Next time give him phony information when he asks for it. Using it will cause problems for him, possibly triggering an audit elsewhere and exposing the fraud.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
mozzery

I just got a call and if they decide to call back I am going to tell them to call back at a different number, the attorney general's office of the state I live in
mozzery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.