uneven tire wear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > uneven tire wear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-31-2001, 09:47 AM   #1
Luis

uneven tire wear

Hi,

My Jeep Wrangler just turn 3000 miles, I took it to the jeep dealer closer to my location to do the 3000 miles service (as per the manual: oil change and tire rotation) and they recommend me not to rotate the tires yet, but to wait another 3000 miles, so I did. 4 days later I notice a particular wear in both front tires the tires wear with and edge on the ouside of the threads, towards the front of the vehicle. I took it to the dealer who sold me the truck, they say that wearing is normal, and to avoid damage on the tires recommended a rotation.
Is that wearing truly normal or may be due to a alignemt problem? Should I expect a perfect tire wearing on the front tires the same as at the rear tires?
Other thing the dealer said was that hitting any rock when doing off-roading will throw the aligment off, is that true?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2001, 10:37 AM   #2
turk

The wear on the outside of the tire tread is normal to a degree. It will be more than the rest of the tire but the rest of the tire should be uniform wear. If both front tires have the same wear then it is likely just normal wear. Your alignment will be off as the tires wear and rotating them will help straighten the alignment. I know this cuz I did it. you may even experience steering wheel shaking at different speeds if your alignment is off. Again, rotating will help this problem (if experiencing). So I guess I am suggesting, a tire rotation!?.
Good luck!

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2002, 01:46 PM   #3
CF

I agree that some wear is normal. but noticible wear at 3K doesn't sound right. Unless your hittin turns like an F1 driver, I mean, ****, that's only 6% of a 50K tire life. I'll admit I don't know jack about tire life but if its already noticibly uneven now, just think where it'll be at 30K miles. I'd look at other low mileage Jeeps. If it is a problem and you just rotate them, you'll be ruining 5 tires. But then again you'll have a good excuse to go bigger.
R
Unread 01-04-2002, 08:36 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How much difference are we talking here? A little bit difference between the front and rear is normal. That's primarily why you rotate. Also, it is not true that offroading will cause your alignment to be off. At least not anything but severe offroading. But then we're talking about damaging things that affect alignment. Jeep YJ alignments are about as basic as alignments come. It's very simple and a very stable setup.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #5
GREGDOG95YJ

take some pics of the front & rear tires and send them to my email. I work on the weekends at an NTB tire shop and I can tell you what is up with your tires.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2002, 07:39 PM   #6
sahara55

I had uneven tire wear, with 7000km, alignment was fine, the camber was within jeep specs. After alot of running around (2 dealers) i got the following things fixed: the first dealer said that they put an offset balljoint in the front driverside (which had the worst tread of all 4 tires) and that fixed the problem.
but i had noticed that measuring from the flair to the ground, one side (the right) was higher than the other by an inch!!!
i freaked out. i though the frame was crooked, both dealerships said that this wasn't the case, it turned out to be that the body wasn't bolted on the frame exactly right and that's why the difference of an inch in hight. this might be irelavent to the tire tread, but again tha weught distribution of the frame was not what it should have been, so that might have been the initial problem... now at 17000km tire trad is perfect.
Unread 01-10-2002, 01:37 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

If you're cooking around corners the wear on the outside is normal. If you drive like my mom, there should be no tire wear at all. The first dealer was trying to avoid doing anything that would take up mechanic time. Jerks. What did they charge for the oil change, if you don't mind me asking?
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.