Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 220 Old 04-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerett View Post
Having spent a lot of time in africa, I would never attempt to drive a nice Jeep around there as a white person.
Don't waste your energy. He clearly knows more than us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 220 Old 04-26-2016, 11:32 PM
DangFoo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerett
Having spent a lot of time in africa, I would never attempt to drive a nice Jeep around there as a white person.
I already posted to this effect (2nd post in the thread); albeit without the element of skin color. Been there and don't care to go back, but I do admire his sense of adventure ... should be interesting.
post #63 of 220 Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 PM
premo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its like he completely avoids our posts. He asks advice, we give good sound advice, then completely ignores it. Dude, I'm not going to validate your reasons to go to Africa. Just don't patronize us with asking our opinions when you've clearly already made up your mind on what you're going to do and don't care. Its completely selfish of you to drive around there all willy-nilly in that vehicle and think that absolutely nothing will happen. It will put your life and most likely the life's of others in jeopardy and danger when they go to save you. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. There is no doubt in my mind that you won't get your rig taken at gun point. I wouldn't drive that thing around Oakland or Detroit.

This is coming from someone that is very well travelled, lived in multiple countries/continents, notorious for doing carefree dumb s*** and generally just does not give a crap: you need to reconsider your choice of vehicle. You will be driving around in very poor, hostile, 3rd world countries in a GIGANTIC red flag, high profile vehicle.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and don't see you on the news and you have a wonderful trip that's full of long lasting memories, but I highly doubt that will be the case. You will most definitely run into problems.

Also, your choice of tires sucks. And you will not get 18mpg driving down crappy dirt roads weighed down, I don't care what your GPS and calculator

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb
post #64 of 220 Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
This are epic thread.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #65 of 220 Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
I already posted to this effect (2nd post in the thread); albeit without the element of skin color. Been there and don't care to go back, but I do admire his sense of adventure ... should be interesting.
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not ignoring your suggestions, I'm taking them on board.

I've been researching and planning this trip for 4 years now, and I've spoken in person to more than 10 people that have driven the same route in the last 2-4 years. I'm in contact with more than 10 people online right now who are on the ground in West Africa, doing this exact trip as we speak.

Sure, they're not driving Jeeps, mostly Land Cruisers and Defenders, with some motorbike guys and unimogs thrown in too.

I'm very aware that what I'm planning has it's risks, and I appreciate your input. You're spot on that it's the most dangerous thing I've ever done in my life.
Of all the people I've met and spoken to who have actually done this, first hand, not a single one didn't highly recommend it. In fact, they all said I'd be nuts if I didn't go.

The decision was made a very long time ago, and the ball has been in motion for a long time. I quit my job, sold all my stuff and moved into my Jeep a long time ago. Now I'm putting down money to ship it over the Atlantic. It's happening.

I'll take my chances.

Thanks,
-Dan

EDIT: I also wanted to add that tons of people said exactly what you're saying about my drive from Alaska to Argentina when I set out. Have a look at the first two pages of negative comments here on JeepForum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/dan-s-next-adventure-road-chose-me-50-000kms-ebb-flow-793107/

It turns out those people were completely wrong. I had the time of my life and loved every minute of it. I never once saw a gun pointed at anyone or a knife or any violence of any kind.

Obviously Africa is another beast entirely, I'm very aware of that.

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #66 of 220 Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck. I hope you have a great trip.

post pics.
post #67 of 220 Old 04-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Prickett10
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am excited for you and the updates. I wish you the best trip. Fulfill your dreams!!!!

As a side note. A self destruct button could come in handy
post #68 of 220 Old 04-29-2016, 03:12 PM
jdalcour

F*** the Nay Sayers! THE ROAD CHOSE YOU!
post #69 of 220 Old 04-29-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Finally got the completed Jeep on the scale today.

Final trim, with everything coming to Africa. 1/2 tank of gas, 1/2 tank of water and 180lbs of Dan in the driver's seat. (Titan fuel tank empty)

5980 lbs.

That's a few hundred heavier than I was aiming for, though it is what it is at this point.

Also I've been out camping around Cape Brenton Island, and it should be in a shipping container on Wednesday.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #70 of 220 Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalcour View Post
F*** the Nay Sayers! THE ROAD CHOSE YOU TO DIE IN AFRICA!
FIXORED

JUST KIDDING...

mostly

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #71 of 220 Old 04-30-2016, 06:57 AM
zigsz71
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
FIXORED JUST KIDDING... mostly
Not cool bro. That dead horse has been beat enough. If you have nothing else to say other than to wish the man good luck and a safe trip, just don't post. It's not a hard concept to just let people make their own decisions after they have been advised one way or the other and to be happy for them and wish them well. This sounds like it's going to be an epic and exciting trip that he seemingly has done plenty of homework on.

And on that note, best of luck to you my friend. Happy travels and safe journeys. Keep us updated whenever possible. Good luck.

/__l ,[____],_
l-----L -OlllllllO-
()_)__()_)--o()_)
'06 LJ Rubi on 35's and stuff
post #72 of 220 Old 05-02-2016, 05:35 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigsz71 View Post
Not cool bro. That dead horse has been beat enough. If you have nothing else to say other than to wish the man good luck and a safe trip, just don't post. It's not a hard concept to just let people make their own decisions after they have been advised one way or the other and to be happy for them and wish them well.
I'm sorry...

.... That you have no sense of humor.

Just trying to break the tension in the room.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #73 of 220 Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM
jdalcour

I guess that's funny....if you have absolutely nothing else to do with yourself.
post #74 of 220 Old 05-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalcour View Post
I guess that's funny....if you have absolutely nothing else to do with yourself.
I'm on a beach drinking beer, you?
Grewe02, premo and Climbit like this.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #75 of 220 Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

The PR Team at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles filmed a short interview with me and my Jeep when I was at HQ near Detroit a few weeks back.

I'm pinching myself right now, and extremely excited to be working with them.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.