Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #226 of 231 Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 PM
premo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
I have tried a few things now, but never monkey. That's one of the ways to get ebola - eating monkey and bats.

I recently had a thing that I think is like a little wild pig - but maybe more like a big guinea pig (I didn't get it exactly in French). It was really tasty, and extremely , extremely gamey. The most gamey meat I have ever eaten, and I was into hunting in the Yukon.

-Dan

Good to know! I don't mind gamey meat lol

Next question. And this is an important one....Have you tried any local beer and chicken wings?

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 231 Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Good to know! I don't mind gamey meat lol

Next question. And this is an important one....Have you tried any local beer and chicken wings?
Absolutely yes! I make a point of trying the local beer in every country I go to!
Mostly here in the West they have been thin and light - good for hot weather!

Chicken wings I really have not seen many of... many countries do have BBQ chicken and chips (fries) on the side of the road which I often partake in!

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #228 of 231 Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 PM
premo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good deal!! hell, a lot of the fun in travelling is trying the local food and drink lol My wife and I both like to and have travelled quite a bit. Its mostly tour 'de dine lol

How's the beer so far? mostly Lager'ish I'm guessing?

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb
post #229 of 231 Old 10-03-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey All,

The slog across The DRC has started in earnest!
After writing an entry date in my own passport with a pen, I am finally legal in the country!
The walking trail got interesting in a few places, and I just about tore one of the fenders right off.

Read more here: http://theroadchoseme.com/across-the-drc-day-1

The scenery here in the DRC is absolutely stunning - completely unexpected!

Also, I finally found the "highway" that runs East/West across the country, more-or-less following the mighty Congo River.
I am heading East, aiming for a ferry to make the crossing.

Read more here: http://theroadchoseme.com/across-the-drc-day-2

The DRC is like nowhere I have ever been before!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #230 of 231 Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey All,

The DRC continues to impress and continues to be a mud slog!

I arrive in the extremely famous Luozi looking to cross the ferry, though not before the nastiest "warlord" Policeman of the journey has his say!

Read that story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/across-the-drc-day-3-luozi

After finally getting away from him, I make my way to the mighty Congo river, and cross on the most ramshackle ferry of my life!
This is the kind of adventure I will never forget as long as I live.

Read more and more photos of the crossing here: http://theroadchoseme.com/luozi-ferry-the-congo-river

Of course, the mud continues on the other side!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #231 of 231 Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey All,

The slog across the DRC continued, with - of course - more mud.

The starter was broken on this truck, and we tried the winch. It didn't stand a chance, so we couldn't help.
The guys were extremely thankful, and resumed waiting in the shade of a tree.

These are the kind of villages near the road:

Full story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/across-the-drc-day-4

And after a solid bribery attempt and and stand off, I reach the border of Angola.
Mad Max was close, but got something seriously wrong. The amount of trash on the ground. Imagine it at least 2 feet deep, absolutely everywhere you can see.
Hundreds of people streaming across the border, scorching heat and humidity.
To top it all off, a guy walked right past with a full-sized fridge on his head!

More on the crossing here: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-angola

The DRC has been an adventure I will never forget, now it's time for Angola!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.