Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

42K views 325 replies 53 participants last post by  RockWoRM 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (JeepForum Thread here, summary and details of the trip on my website here)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more. :D :D

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout today's issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=261662&p=116

Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here, just like last time :)

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but have you ever been to Africa? Of the handful (and ethnic cross-section) of African nations that I've visited, there's not one where I'd care to return unless I was paid an obscene amount of money. Some natural beauty aside ... no thank you.

Bluntly put, if you're a Westerner (by all outward appearances), then your route may not be possible while keeping a high priority on safety. Most of us know about the regional dangers within Somalia, Congo, Sudan, South Sudan, etc. The media tends to air those, but there are countless more conflict areas that are akin to war zones. Thrill seeking is one thing, but exposing your self to the level of danger posed within many of these tribal regions and "countries" is a whole different level.

Best of luck to you either way. Sure, I could get mugged, kidnapped, or beaten in Austria, Italy, or even Finland; however, far ... far ... far less probable. I'm sure some will disagree.

#5 ·
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but have you ever been to Africa? Of the handful (and ethnic cross-section) of African nations that I've visited, there's not one where I'd care to return unless I was paid an obscene amount of money. Some natural beauty aside ... no thank you.

Bluntly put, if you're a Westerner (by all outward appearances), then your route may not be possible while keeping a high priority on safety. Most of us know about the regional dangers within Somalia, Congo, Sudan, South Sudan, etc. The media tends to air those, but there are countless more conflict areas that are akin to war zones. Thrill seeking is one thing, but exposing your self to the level of danger posed within many of these tribal regions and "countries" is a whole different level.

Best of luck to you either way. Sure, I could get mugged, kidnapped, or beaten in Austria, Italy, or even Finland; however, far ... far ... far less probable. I'm sure some will disagree.
Thanks very much for the input. I always seek out data points from people that have actually been where I'm going, as they have first-hand experience. It was a struggle for Mexico (and Colombia) to wade through the embellished stories from people that were regurgitating whatever Fox news told them to.

Thanks for adding real data, I appreciate it and I'm all ears.

I'm aware that I will be exposing myself to more risk than if I stay sitting at my desk in developed Canada.
The real question is how much more risk, and how much am I personally willing to accept.

I've been following a lot of blogs and threads on the HUBB of people that are on the ground, Overlanding through West Africa right now.

There certainly are a few problem spots, and there will be places I will get through as quickly as possible in daylight, but on the whole, based on the reports I'm reading from the ground right now, West Africa is currently stable enough for me personally to accept the risk.

I will continue to read and learn as my entry into Africa approaches. More data is always better.

Thanks again,

-Dan

EDIT: a word

#3 ·
DangFoo, white people driving around Africa in overlanders isn't exactly anything new-check over at Expedition Portal or similar. Obviously, it's not without risk, but neither is crossing the street.

And speaking from personal experience (AKA, he's a friend of mine whom I'm insanely jealous of), Dan isn't the kind of person to jump into this without doing the homework.

Anyways. Still insanely jealous of your trip man, and can't wait to see that JK once it's finished.

#4 ·
Marauder_Pilot said:
DangFoo, white people driving around Africa in overlanders isn't exactly anything new-check over at Expedition Portal or similar. Obviously, it's not without risk, but neither is crossing the street. And speaking from personal experience (AKA, he's a friend of mine whom I'm insanely jealous of), Dan isn't the kind of person to jump into this without doing the homework. Anyways. Still insanely jealous of your trip man, and can't wait to see that JK once it's finished.
I've been to Africa for work and ventured around; was just giving my opinion.

Two close friends are South African and they wouldn't drive out into many parts by their own admission. I have no idea what color is the OP and made no such reference. The point was about Westerners that venture into places such as Sudan. Even Nigeria suffers from conflict and it's considered among the more modern African nations.

I personally won't go back to the Continent, but we all have a different sense of enjoyment, adventure, and ambitions in life, so I don't intend any disrespect.

Side note: English is not my 1st language and I often come across as blunt/direct.

#6 ·
I was jealous of your last trip and am of this one as well! Wouldn't undertake either myself (IE, is there a ferry between Tunis and Alexandria?) but I have no doubt you've satisfied any concerns of your own with regards to security situations in various areas, and I wish you luck! Look forward to reading about it!

#8 ·
I'm sure he worked in order to live like this. He probably worked A LOT. It's far from free. I'd be adventuring too if I could afford it, but I'm still in a much more basic "work to live" part of life where I have to cherish the occasional 3-day weekend and one would be forgiven for thinking that I live to work.

The politics of the regions traveled in Africa are one of the most interesting things to me--dangerous at times sure, but worth the risk to experience.

Sent from my phone.

#9 ·
I'm personally really looking forward to following this adventure. Partially because I love adventure, and partially because I'm excited to see what his machine of choice can do!

Good luck man! If you ever need any help or advice from the homefront, I'm sure there are plenty of people here willing to pitch in their $.02

#12 ·
billiebob said:
ppphhfffftttttt. the media lies. you can get mugged, beaten or shot by police right here at home. better to live well than die without trying. grecy, all the best and I will definitely be following this. the world needs more like you. Love to hear you speak about your experiences. I've been to India and can honestly say it is one of the few countries I would chose to live in if I left Canada.
The media is prone to distortion, but you glossed over the fact that I have been throughout Africa. I moved to North America in my youth. I'm excited for him as it appears he has studied and planned. My post was meant as cautious consideration. Your whole notion of "pfffffffffttt" is what gets people into trouble; the wreckless "I can get hit crossing the street analogy." Not directed at you, but such analogies are idiotic.

On your side note, I have good friends from India and they alternately describe it as a cess pool in many regards. As such, we can summize that each person finds value and comfort in different settings.

At the very least, I offer that Africa is at a base level of organization and infrastructure on the whole. Obviously this comes as no revelation to most, but I'd rather lend my feedback in that it might just offer the OP that added sense of cautionary alert.

#13 ·
It sounds likes cool adventure, but you may have an overly idyllic view of what you'll encounter in Africa. My question is...... After putting yourself needlessly at risk in foreign war torn lands.... what if you are kidnapped for ransom, or get lost, or injured out in the bush somewhere, or contract some horrible African disease? Will you expect to be rescued and who will pay for it?

#17 ·
Thanks for the kind words!

I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan

#18 ·
Looks like a blast! Hope you get to have more fun and see more then you could ever expect.

#19 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've been hard at work building my Jeep over the last months.
I'm in the middle of an 8,000 mile road trip before the 80,000 mile road trip of my dreams.

The reasoning and rationale for everything I've done, and will do, is now online in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine.
Check it out to understand my madness.

Reg cut the roll bar for me (I was too scared to do it myself)

I put heat and sound insulation in the entire Jeep. Let's see if it keep out those 130F+ days in Africa

I built lightweight cabinets using plastic connectors, aluminum tube and plywood.

The finished product which can be converted into a sleeping platform, including Dometic CFX-35 Fridge - which has been amazing.

Tons more pictures on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

The whole story, pictures and reasoning for it all are in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine

-Dan

P.S. The V6 gas engine is out, and the diesel conversion is well underway!

#20 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm extremely proud to announce my Jeep and I are entered into SEMA in Vegas from November 3-6.

Massive thanks to AEV and JPFreek.

Also, here's a test-fit of the Mercedes OM606 3.0 turbo diesel in my JK. Tons of work to go, I can't wait to get this thing back on the road!

http://theroadchoseme.com/bound-for-sema

If you are attending SEMA this year, please stop by and say hello.
The Jeep and I will also be at the public event Friday night "Friday Ignited"

-Dan

#22 ·
Hey All,

The build is progressing, we're pushing hard now to make SEMA.

I installed an AEV Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier and Hi-Lift Mount.

Then I put a Hi Lift Extreme and a set of MAXTRAX on that mount :)

-Dan

#24 ·
Hi All,

Making lots of progress on the build, the Mercedes Diesel swap is really coming together now.

Length has been as issue - Ron from North West Diesel Offroad moved the radiator forward a little:

Intercooler mounted up front:

3 Inch exhaust all the way from turbo outlet to muffler in the rear:

AutoMeter Sport Comp II gauges are a perfect match the for stock gauges:

I've been working on the engine itself, doing maintenance items like water pump, thermostat, oil pump, etc. etc.

We test-fit the AEV Front Premium Bumper and Warn Zeon 10-S winch

Ron from North West Diesel Offroad has amazing fabrication skills, this project is well beyond my abilities as a backyard mechanic.

Tons more pics, details and story on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jk-mercedes-diesel-conversion-progress

-Dan

#25 ·
#27 ·
Hey everyone,

The Diesel conversion in my Jeep has been an enormous amount of work, unfortunately the Jeep wasn't ready for SEMA.
Maybe I'll make it in sometime the future.

Things are coming together really well, I absolutely can not wait to drive my Jeep.

All the details on the Mercedes Diesel conversion and a ton of new photos are now in today's issue of the FREE JPFreek Adventure Magazine

-Dan

#30 ·
Hi Everyone,

Here's a curve ball for the plan - the Mercedes Diesel engine sucked leaking diesel and ranaway, revving at 7k for 5-10 seconds. Scary stuff indeed.
We're pretty sure valves met pistons, and the engine is dead.

After all of this, with all of the money and time invested, I've decided to sell the Jeep and cut my losses.

For sale thread here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153...l-engine-damage-15k-obo-3579714/#post33572810

I'm fighting hard to still get myself and a Jeep Wrangler to Africa.
More to come on that front soon.

Always an adventure, even when unplanned!

-Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.