Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 223 Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
I've been to a few countries within Africa, hence the reason why I can validate not wanting to go back. It's obviously a very broad and diverse part of the world.

Nigeria alone has nearly 200 Million people and upwards of 40+ major ethnic groups (depending on where lines are drawn).
So you are aware it's a "broad and diverse" part of the world, but you are willing to "never go" to something like 50 countries because of your experiences in a few? You would miss out on the experiences of around a billion people, mountains, rivers, lakes, oceans, animals, culture and food because you didn't like a few countries?

Cool man, good for you.

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 223 Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 AM
DangFoo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I've seen "enough" of Africa to make an adult decision that it's not a worthwhile part of the World for which to return and spend money. It's my opinion; same can be said for a handful of individual countries outside the African continent: India ... over 1 Billion people and very diverse; no matter - prevailing atmosphere is not appealing.

I'd rather provide perspective to would-be travelers that includes BOTH the good and bad. The likelihood of getting mugged, bribed, kidnapped, or worse is high in many parts of Africa. I would think that most people would do their homework and plan any trip with diligence, but alas there are many tales of grandeur that can all too easily cloud the full picture.

I'll respectully refrain from further posts in this thread; even though this forum is meant for discussion and varied opinion + feedback. I fully realize that my viewpoint and experience doesn't jive with your narrative.
post #183 of 223 Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I've seen "enough" of Africa to make an adult decision that it's not a worthwhile part of the World for which to return and spend money. It's my opinion; same can be said for a handful of individual countries outside the African continent: India ... over 1 Billion people and very diverse; no matter - prevailing atmosphere is not appealing.

I'd rather provide perspective to would-be travelers that includes BOTH the good and bad. The likelihood of getting mugged, bribed, kidnapped, or worse is high in many parts of Africa. I would think that most people would do their homework and plan any trip with diligence, but alas there are many tales of grandeur that can all too easily cloud the full picture.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I understand your position.

Quote:
I'll respectully refrain from further posts in this thread; even though this forum is meant for discussion and varied opinion + feedback. I fully realize that my viewpoint and experience doesn't jive with your narrative.
Thanks. It's not that your viewpoint doesn't jive with my narrative, it's just that you are not adding anything each time you say it.
You stop in here every month or two and say "I will never go back", which is exactly what you said last time. Saying it over and over does not make it more true or more useful.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #184 of 223 Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I am out exploring the mountains of Togo, right along the border of Ghana.

I am loving this place! Much cleaner than nearby countires and really, really friendly people.

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/the-mountains-of-togo

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #185 of 223 Old 05-12-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

How is the Jeep running, I hear you ask?

I am bringing back the "Jeep Stuff" posts from my previous expedition!
Here is the first one from Africa:
http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-stuff-africa

And to read about all the repairs, upgrades and maintenance I recently performed over here checkout my article in the latest FREE edition of JPFreek Adventure Magazine:
http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #186 of 223 Old 05-14-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

After really enjoying Togo I have moved into Benin, African country number 11.

Read more: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-benin

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #187 of 223 Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey everyone,

Exactly a year to the day since I bought this Jeep, I have driven it to Elephants!!

http://theroadchoseme.com/pendjari-national-park

I am still pinching myself, and I can't believe the scale of the adventures I have already had, but more than that, what is in front of me!

The adventure keeps growing by the day!

Next up: Nigeria.
Gulp.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #188 of 223 Old 05-28-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks!

After 12,800 miles through 12 countries, the time has come to enter Nigeria!

Starting tomorrow, follow a post every day on The Road Chose Me for the duration of my drive across Nigeria.

I am not certain I will have the ability to update here as I move through, so be sure to follow The Road Chose Me on Facebook so you don't miss an update, or check http://theroadchoseme.com every day!

(You can also sign up for email updates from The Road Chose Me - fill in the form on the top right of screen at http://theroadchoseme.com)

This is one I have been anxious about for many months.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #189 of 223 Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

Nigeria is rolling along.

I drove in, through an interesting Immigration post and did not get any paperwork for my Jeep at all.
I really hope that does not become a problem.....
http://theroadchoseme.com/into-nigeria

On the first day I went through a lot of intense military checkpoints, and had to deal with prices magically going up...
http://theroadchoseme.com/across-nigeria-day-one

There are daily updates on The Road Chose Me, and Facebook and Instagram. Don't miss a day as I drive across Nigeria!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #190 of 223 Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

Ahhhh, I got the website fixed, sorry it's been offline.
When in doubt, turn off code you wrote yourself

For those that missed it, the journey across Nigeria has been amazing, here are a few links to the pages you might not have seen while the site was down:

Moving North to the smallest border of the entire expedition:
http://theroadchoseme.com/across-nigeria-day-ten

(This is the international border!)

Nigeria Ends:
http://theroadchoseme.com/nigeria-ends

Crossing into Cameroon at a border where the Immigration officer had never seen a single foreigner in his three year posting!
http://theroadchoseme.com/into-cameroon

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #191 of 223 Old 06-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Montaska

2016 KL Cherokee 

I love reading your adventure, thanks for sharing and I'm glad the expedition is going well!

2016 Cherokee KL Latitude ADI
- 1.5" MFC Lift
- 245/70R17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3

1997 ZJ: Sold | 2002 WJ: Sold | 2007 JK: Sold | 2016 KL: Current
post #192 of 223 Old 06-16-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I am roaming around the mountainous NorthWest of Cameroon, absolutely loving the lack of humidity and cool nights.
Slowing down is also really nice after the hectic pace of Nigeria.

Stories here:
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-mounta...roon-ring-road
http://theroadchoseme.com/cameroon-tea-estates

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #193 of 223 Old 06-26-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I am absolutely loving the mountains of Cameroon.
Warm days, cool nights and almost no humidity.
Sleeping through the night is a novelty!

Also, the people are fantastic!

Read more here: http://theroadchoseme.com/cameroon-mountain-wanderings

Sooner or later I will have to drop back down to sea level.. it's going to be a shock!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #194 of 223 Old 07-03-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I am continuing around Cameroon, loving every second of the cooler mountain air.

The scale of Chinese road construction here is staggering, the jungle is being smashed down faster than my brain can comprehend!

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/chinese-road-construction

-Dan
post #195 of 223 Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM
hemicuda1313

Garage
Incredible thread! Thanks for sharing your journey. Just a quick skim right now but I plan to go back in more detail and subscribe.

99 4.0 XJ - Building to support family short expedition and camping travel from our base in CO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.