Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 12 - JeepForum.com

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 192 Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Great summary! can you elaborate on your solar panel and electrical system setup? Or is there a link to a page that details it?
Sure. DIY article on the dual batteries is here: http://theroadchoseme.com/diy-jeep-w...dual-batteries

info on the solar and charge controller is here: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-complete

Let me know if you have any questions (sorry, internet is crap right now...)

-----

Also,

After a quick stop back in Mali to pickup one last visa before the big trek South, I have driven into African country number nine, Burkina Faso !

Read more here: Into Burkina Faso | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 192 Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I'm checking out the sights of Southern Burkina Faso which are stunning!
I can't believe nobody talks about these kinds of places!

Here are "Les Pics De Sindou" - natural sandstone formations. I had the whole place to myself so I wandered around for the morning:

Lots more pics: http://theroadchoseme.com/les-pics-de-sindou

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #168 of 192 Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I camped on the shored of Lake Tengrela in Burkina Faso.

THIS is the kind of campsite I dreamed of long before this trip began!
Massive baobab trees, hippos grunting near the Jeep and friendly locals!

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/around-lake-tengrela

Best campsite of the trip so far, hands down!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #169 of 192 Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I will be doing a LIVE interview tonight at 8PM CT on the Jeep Talk Show.

You can listen live on YouTube at the link below. Check the video now for a countdown in your local timezone.

You can also Call-in and ask me a question once the show starts! - (302)-202-1110 (then enter code 219835)

https://youtu.be/YMKxUvAyXaI

Talk to you tonight!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #170 of 192 Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi Everyone,

I am still moving through Southern Burkina Faso, and visited the UNESCO-listed Ruins of Loropeni

Here's my campsite right next to the ruins:

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/the-ruins-of-loropeni

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #171 of 192 Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

Being treated like a wallet with legs can sometimes get the better of me.

At the famous Houses of Tiébélé in Southern Burkina Faso I had more than I can handle.

Read more about one of the major downsides to travel in West Africa: http://theroadchoseme.com/tiebele-and-greed

On that note, it's time for another country!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #172 of 192 Old 04-23-2017, 12:18 PM
premo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Who ever held you up, stole the jeep, took your stuff, laptop etc. and is taking the time to maintain your online persona to keep the authorities at bay is doing a great job. Keep up the good work

How much longer do you have on this trip btw?

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb
post #173 of 192 Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Who ever held you up, stole the jeep, took your stuff, laptop etc. and is taking the time to maintain your online persona to keep the authorities at bay is doing a great job. Keep up the good work
If only that guy really were doing all the online work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
How much longer do you have on this trip btw?
Original plan was 2 years total, so something around 16 months remaining if I stick to that.
As long as the money holds out, it makes no difference to me if the trip runs 2.5 years total

-Dan
premo likes this.

--
Follow:
/

--

post #174 of 192 Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

How's all the gear holding up so far Dan? Anything break or wear our already? Tent included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock 2017 Granite Chrystal Metallic JKU
post #175 of 192 Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
How's all the gear holding up so far Dan? Anything break or wear our already? Tent included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything is doing really well.
Lots of details on some repairs, upgrades and maintenance I recently did coming very, very soon.

Here's a 200 night review I recently wrote on the po-up: https://expeditionportal.com/the-roa...r-j30-pop-top/

-Dan
Hebs likes this.

--
Follow:
/

--

post #176 of 192 Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 AM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up Dan! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to hearing more about the rest of your gear and the trip. Good luck.

Stock 2017 Granite Chrystal Metallic JKU
post #177 of 192 Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

It's hard to believe, I have just driven into African country number TEN on this expedition!

Read about the crossing into Togo: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-togo

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #178 of 192 Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 PM
DangFoo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good journal entries ... your comments about "White man; give me something," as a fairly common greeting (in passing) is exactly what I experienced in Africa and among a long list of reasons why I will never go back.

It will be interesting to hear/read your take a few months after you've returned home. I have no doubt that you'll take-away a lot of great memories (namely those of the scenic and humbling variety) and no regrets for having made the journey. The real question is whether you'll care to venture back again.

Safe travels and thank you again for sharing!
post #179 of 192 Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Good journal entries ... your comments about "White man; give me something," as a fairly common greeting (in passing) is exactly what I experienced in Africa and among a long list of reasons why I will never go back.

It will be interesting to hear/read your take a few months after you've returned home. I have no doubt that you'll take-away a lot of great memories (namely those of the scenic and humbling variety) and no regrets for having made the journey. The real question is whether you'll care to venture back again.

Safe travels and thank you again for sharing!
Hi DangFoo,

I think you have dropped in here multiple times to say you will never go back.
You are writing off an entire continent, with over 1 billion people and over 50 separate countries because of your experience in just a couple of countries - which is nuts.
If I went to Chigaco and had a crappy time, would it be in any way sane to write off the entire USA? Of course not, and that's just one single country.

I get that you will never go back. Please stop saying it, you are not really adding anything here.

As for me coming back, I already know with 100% certainty I will be back on the West Coast. There are so many places to explore, and I had made so many friends that will be with me for life, it's impossible to think I will never come back.

I have a lot to learn here, and 2 years won't be enough.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #180 of 192 Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM
DangFoo
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been to a few countries within Africa, hence the reason why I can validate not wanting to go back. It's obviously a very broad and diverse part of the world.

Nigeria alone has nearly 200 Million people and upwards of 40+ major ethnic groups (depending on where lines are drawn).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.