Two or more jobs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Two or more jobs?

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Ubie
Wha?

Two or more jobs?

Just curious to see how many of you work two or more jobs? I picked up a 2nd job a year back to make ends meet. I'm getting to a point i don't need the second job anymore, but figured i can't be the only one doing it.

So what are your jobs?

Primary: Procurement for a contract manufacturer. Mon-Fri 9-5 type gig, salaried.

Secondary: Lead generation for a specific kind of home improvement. I got to festivals and home shows to man a booth. Strictly lead generation, we sign people up to arrange for in home estimates. I like this a lot because during the summer it lets me know about a lot of festivals and fairs that are going on. Good for people watching and the woman brings our spawn to some of them for something to do. Winter blows because home shows are boring! Hourly, non commission. Anywhere from 16-40hrs a month.

Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
RX7TT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used to work 2 full time jobs. It wasn't pleasant...

I worked in a warehouse picking pallets from 6am-2:30pm, then in a body shop at an auto auction from 3:30pm-12am.
RX7TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

ouch i had two jobs for 2 days then said f that.
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Thankfully I don't need a second job, but when my primary job can involve working 100+ hour weeks for months at a time, I probably wouldn't have time for one anyway.
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I work overseas so I don't have to work a second job, which I would if I was back home.
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Ubie
Wha?

I've worked as many as 3 at a time in the summer during college, and it wasn't a good time. Overnights making circuit boards for IBM, 8-12noon as an apprentice electrician and then 3 days a week as a lifeguard. I was a zombie by the end of the summer.

If i worked more than a few shifts a month right now at the 2nd gig i don't think i'd be holding up so well. This whole having a family, growing up, acting like a responsible adult nonsense takes up a lot of time...
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

when I was younger and able I worked 1 full time and 2 part times. Really sucked, missed seeing my kids grow up. Dont recommend it less necessary.
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

ive worked at a sporting goods store and a movie theater. sporting goods store was f/t the p/t theater gig only lasted 8 days and i got tired of having two jobs

currently work at starbucks p/t and have an interview at autozone tomorrow. if autozone wants me f/t i gotta decide if i want to keep goofing off at starbucks or just have one f/t job. starbucks is super flexible and laid back.

that and all the general contractors i know are starting to pick up more work and i may be able to do some construction under the table.

plus i try and get paid to take pictures of people and things once in awhile, this would be my dream job, but for right now i gotta stick with the consistent pay checks
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I work between 72-80hrs a week at my normal job and could work up to 16/day 7 days a week if I wanted it. No second job pays anywhere near what my first job does...never work for straight time when you can work for time and a half or double time.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #10
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I work 3rd shift at Grainger Distribution Center (just a warehouse environment type deal, picking orders/loading trucks etc.) from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. 5 days a week (sunday through thursday) and go to school full time, monday through thursday, from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.(i leave about 9:30 p.m. to go straight to work) and it sucks. I sleep from about 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. everyday to get up and hit the gym before school...it definately takes a toll. But, come Friday morning, i'm free til sunday night! Lol nothin like stayin up all day and half the night Friday after you get off, then all day saturday, all night saturday (or a few hours sleep in between) and then crashin about 12 p.m. sunday until time to go in...makes the weekend seem like it lasts alot longer
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I work between 72-80hrs a week at my normal job and could work up to 16/day 7 days a week if I wanted it. No second job pays anywhere near what my first job does...never work for straight time when you can work for time and a half or double time.
x2 I second that, i get OT every day and could get more if i wanted, and it really adds up on the check
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
J_Thack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I only have 1 job, but for the past 2 months I have been working 24 hrs OT a week. On the plus side, all OT is being paid double time. That really helps out since 50% of my income is from semi-annual bonuses.
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I work at a high school vo-tech in the auto tech shop. Instructional Assistant. That's full time. I work there from 7:30-3:30 monday thru friday (obviously only when schools in).
Then I drive across town and work at Wal Mart in the tire shop from 4-9 three nights a week and all day saturday and sunday. That's part time, 32 hrs. a week.
Once school lets out, this week actually (I'm pumped), I'll jump up to 40 hrs. a week at wal mart for the summer. I've been at the school for 7 years now, and this is my 5th year at wal mart.

It never bothered me, but now that we have a baby, it's tough. Because I'm hardly ever at home. My wife and daughter are asleep when I leave in the morning, and the baby's almost always asleep by the time I get home. It's tough.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I got out of college I worked on average about 90 hours a week spread out between 3 gigs. 2 'office' jobs and my freelance stuff. That was 16 years ago and it wore me right out.

Nowadays between my full time and freelance and my painting/art sales you could say I've got 3-4 things juggling or ready to juggle at all times. No kids so it doesn't bother me and I'm just flat out used to it after so long. What's nice is when all but 1 of them feels like actual work. Probably the only reason I haven't totally burnt out.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I work for the DoD as an Army Civilian for my day job and have rentals for my night and/or weekend job.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • oil rig jobs - General Discussion (17 replies)
  • Jobs in NNJ? - General Discussion (1 replies)
  • Jobs - General Discussion (77 replies)
  • Jobs? - General Discussion (66 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.