Troy Built weed eater attachment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Troy Built weed eater attachment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Troy Built weed eater attachment

I just got a troy built weed eater and need to get through some thick brush. They have two attachments that I am considering one is their Aero-Flex Trimmer Head, which is plastic blades, and the other is a their brush cutter with metal blade. The Aero-flex seems to have a bigger cutting area.

Anybody have any experience with either one of these.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

yup, just bought the brush cutter head for mine. it doesn't have too big of a cutting path, but it cuts awesome. it was taking down thumb sized stuff with ease.
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've got the brush cutter head for mine too. It cuts really well, just shreds the stuff.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've used both at work. Not that brand, but same product really. The plastic blades work very well for heavy grass and such, and can chew through pretty much anything eventually. but if you're cutting brush you want the metal trimmer, definitely. If you do for some reason go with the plastic blades, be sure to soak them for a while before you use em. It doubles their life, and they don't explode and throw shrapnel in your face if they had a good soaking beforehand.
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
cmotsvt

What would you soak them in?
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Just water. It says to do it on the package, but our req officer at work evidently couldnt read. Put em in a full water bottle and leave em for a while
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I Googlde both the brush cutter, with metal blades, and the other head with plastic blades. About all the reviews of the metal brush cutter were positive and mixed reviews on the plastic ones.

I am going with the metal one.

Thanks for the input.

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

No problem. About the biggest thing the plastic blades will take out are blackberries. Which is impressive, no doubt, but probably not what you're looking for. And you go through a lot of blades killing berries. Like, 2 of us in a 10 hr day (so maybe 6 hrs of weedeating) would go through a full 24 pack of blades at least, sometimes more.
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
No problem. About the biggest thing the plastic blades will take out are blackberries. Which is impressive, no doubt, but probably not what you're looking for. And you go through a lot of blades killing berries. Like, 2 of us in a 10 hr day (so maybe 6 hrs of weedeating) would go through a full 24 pack of blades at least, sometimes more.
This is part of my "backyard":

makes for a fun little trial.

I have a chain saw, tractor and brush hog, and have hired larger equipment to clear areas out. I am looking for something to get through the larger than tall grass are but not trees.

It seems like the brush cutter will do that, for the most part.

Unread 05-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Brush cutters are good for things up to maybe an inch, and after that you can get through it, but it takes a while. Had you not already bought the Troy Built, I would have recommended this baby. We have it and I'll tell you what, the adjustable head makes a world of difference when you are doing this all day.

The head has a 135 degree range of motion, which is very handy.
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Brush cutters are good for things up to maybe an inch, and after that you can get through it, but it takes a while. Had you not already bought the Troy Built, I would have recommended this baby. We have it and I'll tell you what, the adjustable head makes a world of difference when you are doing this all day.

The head has a 135 degree range of motion, which is very handy.
I that a Stihl? My father in law has big Stihl he paid about $800 for. It is a beast.

I was looking at the smaller Stihls, but many of the review were saying bad things. It seems that if the review stated they had it for three years or less they were disappointed with them, those that state they had it them for three years or longer were very happy with them. It leads me to believe they went to a cheaper production method for their consumer lines.

Unread 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

It surely is a Stihl. I could get the model # off of the one we have, if you'd like. We have the adjustable trimmer head, a weedeater head, and a chainsaw head for it. The thing is an absolute beast, and my mom got it on sale for arond $100, I think. I may be completely wrong on that number, but I am positive it was a lot less than $800, lol. It's amazing the amount of brush you can clear with it. And all the stihls we have are great. We have one that we have always had (I'm 19, and I don't remember a time before we had it) and it still kicks butt, lol.
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It surely is a Stihl. I could get the model # off of the one we have, if you'd like. We have the adjustable trimmer head, a weedeater head, and a chainsaw head for it. The thing is an absolute beast, and my mom got it on sale for arond $100, I think. I may be completely wrong on that number, but I am positive it was a lot less than $800, lol. It's amazing the amount of brush you can clear with it. And all the stihls we have are great. We have one that we have always had (I'm 19, and I don't remember a time before we had it) and it still kicks butt, lol.
It is one of their smaller ones. If it is an older one then I am sure it is quality. The newer ones come into question. Mine troy built is a 29cc motor which is powerful for a smaller weed eater. It had better customer review then the newer similar Stihls. The bigger Stihl my father in law has come with controls on handle bars. You strap it over your shoulder and it will cut through even tall grass as quick as you can move it.

Unread 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That's how this is with grass, but it's light enough you don't really need the sling unless you're in it for the long haul that day. There's something oddly satisfying about weedeating and hedge trimming, isn't there? I mean, it gets boring after a while, but I still enjoy doing it from time to tim if I have nothing better to do.
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's how this is with grass, but it's light enough you don't really need the sling unless you're in it for the long haul that day. There's something oddly satisfying about weedeating and hedge trimming, isn't there? I mean, it gets boring after a while, but I still enjoy doing it from time to tim if I have nothing better to do.
I have some thick stuff I want to get trough. I am getting a metal blade brush cutting attachment today. Looking forward to that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.