Triton vs. Magnum vs. Vortec - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Triton vs. Magnum vs. Vortec

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Triton vs. Magnum vs. Vortec

Dunno if anyone here has an info on this here, but...

Considering getting a late model pick up truck. Now just considering since I have to dump some money into my Jeep and I have been trying to sell this Expo now for a while and think it might just be the best idea to go with something new to me and practical.

I have been looking at late model Fords, Dodges and GM's. I am leaning towards Ford for obvious reasons, but there are far more low milage late model Dodges and GMs for lower prices out there. How are all these engines for reliabilty, etc etc.

I've only ever driven a triton v8 in my parents old conversion E-150, kind of a different animal I know. lol

I am looking to get a crew-cab 4x4 with a v8. I looked at diesel trucks but they are far more expensive.

Now this is just me contemplating the change since I really do not want another car payment, but I have to do something soon. Looking for insight and concerns on these powerplants. I also am not opposed to a Nissan or Toy truck but they are more expensive in the used market.

Thanks,
John

Now I love my Jeep and this is a hard sell but I am thinking long term here...

Unread 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
Big Joebowski

I know the older Vortec's had problems with intake gaskets blowing out, and letting antifreeze get into the oil. Other than that, they are pretty solid.

By older, I mean 98 and older.

I've seen several thrown rods in Tritons, and lots of cam noise/problems from magnums.

They all have thier pros and cons. I work at a shop, that generally works on GM's. Since we area GM town (anderson, IN), and I don't see much out of Ford's and Chryslers, so I can't really attest to them much.
Unread 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

The magnums have a bad head design and they like to crack. But the new hemi looks alright. The Vortechs ore pretty good motors. and the tritons are alright I suppose. it looks like the vortechs have more power but all that can be changed with mods. My uncle just bought an 05 Ram Crew Cab Diesel, for $35k. seems to be a good price for
the cummins 600. it has the most power in its class. I think the deals right now are the Dodges.
green cj 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
CLynn85

Can't speak on behalf of all of them, but....

Our F250 has the triton 5.4, kind of small engine for a ~5500lb crew cab 4x4 but it does the job and hasn't let us down once. If had to do it again, would've definately gotten the powerstroke though, diesel baby!

Pop's company has used chevy silverado's for service trucks, and aside from eating a fuel pump every 75,000 miles, they haven't had much trouble, except for one that blew a head gasket after about 150k.

Really, all of them seem to be about even, and seem to be about on par with quality/number of problems, you're always going to have people who swear by one of the other, but when it comes down to it, I don't think you'd be making a bad choice with any of them....
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Too many damn 4.6 powered F-150's damn it!
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
jtdiesel65

If I was looking for a late model used, I would also look at new considering automakers are still offering large rebates. Unless its a cash purchase, by the time you deduct the rebate and apply the interest rate difference, the new may be the better deal.

I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in the motors. I'd look at towing/load capacity for each make/model to see which fits the bill. Personally, I would not go anywhere near a "half-ton" class truck. I'd rather skimp on features and get a 3/4 or 1 ton, rather than a loaded 1/2 ton. A CC is not going to have great load capacity compared to a regular cab and you may have to adjust your choice if you need a CC long bed.

Other than that, I would look more at individual repair records rather than try to target a particular motor. I'm always suspicious when I see a fairly new used truck for sale.
jtdiesel65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

New is going to be way too expensive even with rebates. I am looking 98 to 03. For what I want the new ones will be in the 30's. Hell no, I am looking at like a third of the price.

John
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
RoostrRiz
1983 CJ7 

I think they each have their own inherent pro's and con's I recently got rid of my 97 chevy 2500, w the vortec 350. It did have the gasket problem and I replaced two fuel pumps between 78k-130k. However my brother has an 02 Superduty w/ the 5.4 and his truck felt much more sluggish than my chevy. Both were regular cab 4x4s but maybe his weighed more. The newer vortecs (GEN3) are nice motors but I've heard of piston slap issues. Can't say much for the dodge gas engines either way. I know they are torquey but not sure about maintenance issues. You should check out the message boards dedicated to each brand. I know www.Dodge-Ram.org I think is one (not sure on the hyphen) and www.fullsizechevy.com. I am sure there are ford one's out the too, I would just look at common problems.
RoostrRiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #9
Big Joebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostrRiz
The newer vortecs (GEN3) are nice motors but I've heard of piston slap issues..
Bah... it's not piston slap, people assume it to be, but it's actually a VERY SLIGHT ping (spark knock). It's caused by carbon build up, and with the cool, dense air coming in on initial startup, it runs a little lean, with higher compression and pings a bit. It's only for the first 10-30 seconds, adn I've yet to see a problem caused by it.

I can definately see how it would be confused for piston slap though, I mean... cold engine, and knocking, sounds like a culprit to me. That's what I assumed it to be, until we got a bulletin from GM about it, addressing the issue.

I've seen the new 4.8's, 5.3's, and 6.0's well past 100K miles, and it's never been a problem.
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #10
RoostrRiz
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joebowski
Bah... it's not piston slap, people assume it to be, but it's actually a VERY SLIGHT ping (spark knock). It's caused by carbon build up, and with the cool, dense air coming in on initial startup, it runs a little lean, with higher compression and pings a bit. It's only for the first 10-30 seconds, adn I've yet to see a problem caused by it.

I can definately see how it would be confused for piston slap though, I mean... cold engine, and knocking, sounds like a culprit to me. That's what I assumed it to be, until we got a bulletin from GM about it, addressing the issue.

I've seen the new 4.8's, 5.3's, and 6.0's well past 100K miles, and it's never been a problem.
Big Joe I am sure that is a relief for all the guys with the newer chevy's, I had read a lot of people who had complained about that. I like those motors a lot.
RoostrRiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #11
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'll bite (and get flamed) for saying:

Tundra with 4.7 litre Toyota v8

Sharp trucks.

Of the two import fullsize, I like it much better than the Nissan
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #12
Big Joebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostrRiz
Big Joe I am sure that is a relief for all the guys with the newer chevy's, I had read a lot of people who had complained about that. I like those motors a lot.

They are definately torquey, and very very responsive. I had a 04 Silverado with the 5.3 for a while, that thing would eat just about any other truck as far as power and speed go. I had no problems breaking the back end loose, at just half throttle.

They honestly amaze me, they make GOOD power all the way to redline, and the shift points in the ECM for the tranny are UNBEATABLE. 6000rpm pushrod engine in a truck... can't beat that.

The most annoying problem with them is the cold start ping, and the throttle gets gunked up about every 50K miles. We clean at least 1 throttle body a week, due to deposits making the throttle sticky, when it's closed. You go to push the pedal, and have push pretty hard, then it breaks loose, and so do the tires
Unread 06-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
90lerado

if your looking for a 4 door pickup then i hafta say cant beat the dodges. the 5.2 and the 5.9 are great engines and have lots of power. if you can spring for it get the cummins diesel. if your looking for a crew cab then your limited to chevy or ford as dodge dosnt make a crew cab. out of the 2 id go chevy. never been a ford man

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #14
thebulkinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lerado
if your looking for a 4 door pickup then i hafta say cant beat the dodges. the 5.2 and the 5.9 are great engines and have lots of power. if you can spring for it get the cummins diesel. if your looking for a crew cab then your limited to chevy or ford as dodge dosnt make a crew cab. out of the 2 id go chevy. never been a ford man
My dad has 90k miles on his 98 with a 5.9l and he drives it like he stole it. Its a good truck with plenty of power, no major problems. His next truck will probably be with a hemi though because of the multi-cylinder displacement thing that shuts down cylinders that arent needed for better fuel economy.
thebulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2005, 07:25 AM   #15
Alec

For 10k?

I've would be driving a truck If I found one under 10k ....

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.