Treated Wood Yellow vs Green - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Treated Wood Yellow vs Green

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Treated Wood Yellow vs Green

I can get some decking from Lowes for a better price than other places esp. with the Military discount. They have the green treated. At a lumber yard closer to home they have the yellow treated wood, they say it has a 40 year earth to wood life expectancy.

Is there a difference between these types of treated wood? Is one better than the other?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
ecaps

Is the lumber yard selling Yellawood? Most all pressure treated wood is southern yellow pine. I think the "green" wood that is at Lowes/Home Depot is ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary). It used to be treated with CCA (copper arsenic & ??). The chemicals used to "treat" the wood give it that green tint until it gets dried out.

Yellawood is a name brand like Kleenx or Band-Aid although people use those generically. Yellawood is supposed to be environmentally friendly pressure treated wood without the use of harsh chemicals. But if it's yellow wood, I dunno.

Stays crunchy ......even in milk
ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaps View Post
Is the lumber yard selling Yellawood? Most all pressure treated wood is southern yellow pine. I think the "green" wood that is at Lowes/Home Depot is ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary). It used to be treated with CCA (copper arsenic & ??). The chemicals used to "treat" the wood give it that green tint until it gets dried out.

Yellawood is a name brand like Kleenx or Band-Aid although people use those generically. Yellawood is supposed to be environmentally friendly pressure treated wood without the use of harsh chemicals. But if it's yellow wood, I dunno.
The sales person called it yellow wood, didn't realize he was referring to a brand name. I remember seeing a Cowboy in a commercial saying something about yellow wood. It did seem to be a more "natural" color than the treated wood I had gotten in the past

The lumber yard is more $ than Lowes. I don't mind paying more if I get a better longer lasting product. I am reay am not too concerned about the environmental issue.

The deck will be around a swimming pool if that matters.

Unread 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

There are different kinds of treatment and colors occur from those treatments. With each treatment they put in different amounts of chemicals depending on the intended use. I personally like lumber yards over homedepot or lowes as they have a larger selection and more useful people. I would talk to the guys at the lumber yard and say what you want to build and where after you tell them the conditions they will show you the best products for it. If you are building around a swimming pool I would suggest looking into PVC or composite material since it will be around water. Either of those products will outlast wood of any type and not need as much maintenance.
thantos858 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
There are different kinds of treatment and colors occur from those treatments. With each treatment they put in different amounts of chemicals depending on the intended use. I personally like lumber yards over homedepot or lowes as they have a larger selection and more useful people. I would talk to the guys at the lumber yard and say what you want to build and where after you tell them the conditions they will show you the best products for it. If you are building around a swimming pool I would suggest looking into PVC or composite material since it will be around water. Either of those products will outlast wood of any type and not need as much maintenance.

The Lowes people are competent as those at the lumber store in my area. My bro-in-law does construction and is the one mainly building the deck. I did check in to the composite wood for decking but it is about $25 a board vs. $6.00 a board. I will seal the wood probably every year or so but that doesn't take much time. In a couple years my kids will be old enough to do it anyway.

Unread 07-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
ecaps

I guess it's up to you. For the most part pt wood is the same wherever you get it. It's southern yellow pine dipped in a chemical bath of sorts. The yellawood is more natural looking, I suppose because of the chemical concoction they use to treat it.

Do you know what type of stain you are going to you use? (clear, toner, semi-transparent, paint). I have a semi-transparent on our deck. My dad put on more of a toner on his and it turned out pretty nice, the green isn't there and it has more of a natural/yellow amber tint to it.

Personally, if it was me since you are using pt wood, I'd just go where it cost the least. Well, in addition make sure you can get a straight board. Because the wood is "green", by that I mean freshly cut it has tendency to twist and bow. It took me a while to select all the wood for my deck, but maybe I was too picky when getting the wood.

Stays crunchy ......even in milk
ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

just did my deck in yella wood. it looks great and don't make this guy pay you a visit!

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.