Tragedy at Canandaigua Motorsports - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tragedy at Canandaigua Motorsports

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Tragedy at Canandaigua Motorsports

Tony Stewart runs over driver on racetrack
Most likely you've already heard about the sprint car driver getting hit and killed on the track at Canandaigua Motorsports Park over the weekend. I don't want to bias this thread, so click the link above, google, or check out the newscasts for details. My prayers go out for Kevin Ward Jr.'s family and also Tony.

I grew up not far from Tony's hometown and am still a bit in shock. There's obviously lots of controvery surrounding this and I'm interested in what JF thinks of the events that occurred. I know there's some strong feelings about all this but let's keep it civil and objective in this thread so it can stay in GD. What happened there?

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Indy

I think if you play on the interstate 10 times and finally get run over, you were lucky 9 times.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I think if you play on the interstate 10 times and finally get run over, you were lucky 9 times.
This. Play with fire, expect to get burned.
chet44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

3 people have told me it was intentional. The first said you could hear him rev the engine and drive straight into him. The second said you could see him swerve at him and run him right over. The third said he was trying to throw dirt at him but the back end kicked out and hit him.

After the third person said that, I was confused. Three seemingly different stories. So I searched for the actual video. From what I could find, there is only one, and in it, you can't see Stewarts car until the split second before he hit him, so all three that told me what they saw in the video were full of it.

It looked to me like Stewart was trying to turn away from from him. The sound of the revving engine could have come from any of the other many cars on the track so I don't know why people are saying it was him gunning it to hit him or kick dirt at him.

Unless there is another video that shows a different view, I can't fault Stewart at all.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

In no way do I think Tony Stewart meant to do the kid any harm, but after watching the video several times I believe one of two things happened. Tony was trying to give him a little scare and either got too close or the car did something unexpected. Seeing Tony's attitude, and never back down style over the years its plausible. It looks like he gave it the gas as he was approaching. He may of blipped the throttle to try and help the car turn to avoid him, sprint cars aren't exactly agile and are even less so when not in the throttle. Kevin Ward had absolutely no reason to be out of his car and that far down the track. It is Unfortunate that this happened, the Ward's lost a member of their family, and Tony Stewart has to live with this every day for the rest of his life. Its hard to say if his mind will ever be right again.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

In order to turn a sprint car to the left you must give it gas.

This a terrible accident. And nothing more. There is no intent. No one is to blame, just a horrific accident. Could it have been avoided, of course. But that doesn't mean we have to blame someone.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

The kid took multiple steps into Tony's lane. I can't see how people are so quick to blame Tony. Watch how many steps he takes into traffic. Wayyyyyy more than 1. He lost his cool and he let his emotions get the best of him.

All of this, "Tony purposely ran him over BS", is over the top. No one can say they heard Tony's engine Rev as he hit Ward. The video people are watching to make that judgement is being filmed from across the track. The sound could have come from anywhere along the track and was probably right in front of the camera.

People always want to point fingers and blame someone. However, sometimes it is truly just an Accident.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKABOB View Post
In order to turn a sprint car to the left you must give it gas.

This a terrible accident. And nothing more. There is no intent. No one is to blame, just a horrific accident. Could it have been avoided, of course. But that doesn't mean we have to blame someone.
^THIS!!!!!

End of discussion
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

What i think.
If you are that stupid to get out of your car and walk around on a live racetrack then you deserve to get hit.
To bad that he died of his injuries.
Want to fight another driver, fine do that after the race has ended then quit racing forever if you cant stand that someone accidently rammed you so you spun out.
Or whatever happend before the camera starts to film.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

It seems like the media is trying to bring it across as a pre-meditated event.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Kid let his emotions get to him over a stupid race and paid the ultimate price. You never get out of your car especially with sprint cars. You can't see to your right when turning left in sprint cars not to mention how dark it was. I can understand maybe getting out if it was a championship or something but it wasn't. Just a 20 year old kid that got mad.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

akabob nailed it.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.