Toyota engine/parts in a jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Toyota engine/parts in a jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

Toyota engine/parts in a jeep?

Just curious if anyone has tried to put a Toyota engine, trans etc in a jeep and how hard it would be to make it fit with fabrication etc. I love the dependability of Toyota trucks. Had a Tacoma for years with no problems. I have a cj5 and just tired of replacing stuff on it. Wanted to redo the whole engine drivetrain. An opinions or suggestions?

ChefPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It would be more time/money/trouble than just going out and buying an older model toyota pickup
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
It would be more time/money/trouble than just going out and buying an older model toyota pickup
x2 just buy an old Toy. But to answer your question anything is possible if you have the tools and time and of course some knowledge. It would deffinitly be diferent.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Why wouldn't you just.....put it in a toyota?
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

I figured as much. Basically I am wanting to make it as bulletproof as possible. I've heard alot of chatter about doing the 258 with 4.0 heads, any suggestion on fuel injection setup for this application? Also axles and driveshafts transfer case suggestions welcomed!
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Aren't the AW4 and the AX5/15 transmissions used in toyota trucks? I think it would be a pretty cool swap. You would need to have some fab skills, and probably be better off getting a complete donor vehicle...

If you really had some extra $$, the Tacoma's in other countries (Hilux) had a nice diesel option...
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefPatrick View Post
I figured as much. Basically I am wanting to make it as bulletproof as possible. I've heard alot of chatter about doing the 258 with 4.0 heads, any suggestion on fuel injection setup for this application? Also axles and driveshafts transfer case suggestions welcomed!
If you are set on doing it I think it would work out good for you to get an old doner truck 85 or newer that has the 22RE with fuel injection and swap everything over. At least then your Jeep would run forever. I have owned six toyota pickups and have nothing bad to say about them. I think it was 85 that came with the straight axle up front and fuel injection but that one would be hard to come by since that is what the Toyota guys want as well. Be carefull if looking at the 85's because not all came with fuel injection.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
maddmaxjack67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My facts might not be straight, making them not factual, but I think pre85 had solid axles in front, and the AW4 was also used in some Supras.

*1997 Gun Metal Blue XJ: DEAD

*1984 Mustard Yellow FSJ Wagoneer: SOLD
maddmaxjack67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The Jeep AX-15 and AW4 transmissions are very similar to the Toyota ones. They look the same externally and bell housings can swap over. They have different gearing and input shafts though.

If you want something completely bulletproof, you can't go wrong with a diesel. And what's better than a 3 cylinder 2-stroke Detroit?

Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Otahyoni

I love the sound of a 2 stoke diesel...
Otahyoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A friend has a project TJ with 2 Yota transfer cases mated up together. It's trick but excessive.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I looked into this a while back. The AX5 and AX15 both have toyota versions and could be swapped into a jeep but it was pretty specific on what models and years and configurations would work.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

Well, if money. Becomes a non issue, I might build a yota project jeep, only thing is to find someone fully capable
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
cmotsvt

Would you be looking to swap the 22r or the toyota 3.9/4/4.2/4.5L I6?
Id think the 22r would be gutless and the I6 not cost effective.
Toyota made 'em tough but the jeep motors were every bit as tough.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of reliability problems are you having anyway? Jeep and Toyota are on the same level as far as I'm concerned.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.