Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Total Solar Eclipse - Monday, August 21, 2017

840 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  MoFasterMo 
#1 ·
On Monday, August 21, 2017, there will be a total solar eclipse across the continental US. The path of total eclipse crosses from Oregon to South Carolina. Outside the path of totality, there will still be a partial eclipse, as shown in the chart.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to NEVER look at the sun, unless ISO-approved eye protection is properly used. There is a link describing that protective eyewear. The local public libraries are giving away 2 million pairs of free eclipse glasses, or they may be purchased on-line at a reasonable cost.

One viewing method uses a white 8½x11 sheet of paper as a projection screen and either a pair of binoculars or a telescope pointed at the sun and at the paper. Once the focus is set, this method permits safe viewing of the eclipse. This is also described in the link. A pinhole in a solid sheet makes a pinhole lens that can be used in-place of binoculars or a telescope.

The local libraries have free eclipse glasses. I was the first to collect a few pairs. Most of the librarians looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about the free eclipse glasses (more than the usual two head look I collect).

IMO, their box of glasses will be depleted quickly once the word gets out. (Not the end of the world because the on-line pricing is very reasonable.)

You may wish to get some glasses for your family. Another safe option is to point a telescope at the sun and at a piece of white paper. I did the telescope method as a child and it worked fine. I just got a nice Tasco Luminova refractor telescope w/ a sun projection screen. It creates a nice image of the sun onto a white panel.

Enjoy the eclipse, or I will blot out the sun on August 21.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here are some images of my Tasco 46-060675 Luminova refractor telescope imaging the sun (not during eclipse time) using the sun projector screen.

This is a very workable solution, permitting looking at the sun / partial eclipse continuously w/o risk of eye damage.

Attachments

#4 ·
Just so you know Wingless and since nobody else but you and me seems to care to much about the skys .

I have been a very serious sky watcher for about 45 years or more now .

That said , I will take a really good Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis show over a total eclipse any day of the week .

My last real scope was an 8" reflector that I parked by the way side when nasa.com and so such came along on the internet .

#5 ·
It is VERY IMPORTANT to NEVER look at the sun, unless ISO-approved eye protection is properly used. There is a link describing that protective eyewear. The local public libraries are giving away 2 million pairs of free eclipse glasses, or they may be purchased on-line at a reasonable cost..
Hmm, I wonder if my Ray-Ban would work? :nerd: But seriously, thanks for the heads up, wingless! I'll be keeping my eyes off the sky on that day.

#12 ·
We were in the 100% group. It was pretty darn cool seeing it turn "night" and hearing the cicadas come out.

The first two were at the point of darkness with light skies all around. The last photo is towards the end, through my uncle's telescope.

Cloud Sky Plant Flash photography Tree

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Tree Sunlight

Astronomical object Sky Material property Tints and shades Circle

#13 ·
We made a trip north to the path of totality. Oregon coast to be exact. Could not get a room close, so on sunday night we were in Coos Bay OR, about three hours south of totality. Got up at three am and it was foggy. Drove north to Newport and took hwy 20 inland about twenty miles or so where we found clear skies and a nice state park to hang out in.

AMAZING

Afterwords we drove back to the coast and stopped in Depoe Bay for lunch and saw some humpback whales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.