Tom Woods' new u-joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tom Woods' new u-joints

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Grewe02
Guns > Swords
 
Grewe02's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, Kalifornia
Posts: 4,552
Tom Woods' new u-joints

Anybody using them? They look pretty sweet. I'm going to either need to stretch my wheelbase or shove my motor into the radiator after the swap. Maybe these u-joints will let me prevent that?

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html



__________________
Andy, KD8EIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Tj_Justin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 196
What swap?

they look beefy, any cheaper than CTM'S?
__________________
8.8 w/ lockrite
RE lift, 35" Mud Kings
98 Wrangler 4 banger
Tj_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek
 
BeachinXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Beach®, DE
Posts: 5,837
They aren't really new. Nor are they much more durable than a spicer / CTM joint.
__________________
2000 Jeep XJ - Chopped / Locked
1997 Jeep XJ - Daily Driver
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD - 6-speed, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Grewe02
Guns > Swords
 
Grewe02's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, Kalifornia
Posts: 4,552
Well I'm not looking for durability. I'm looking for extreme driveline angle capability. LS1 + SM465 + Dana 300 = short driveshaft.
__________________
Andy, KD8EIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ View Post
Nor are they much more durable than a spicer / CTM joint.
Don't even put Spicer and CTM in the same sentence where it comes to u-joints. That's like comparing a middle-weight to a super-heavyweight boxer. Neither Tom Wood's nor Spicer's u-joints are even close to being as strong as the nearly bulletproof CTM is. Night and day.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek
 
BeachinXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Beach®, DE
Posts: 5,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Don't even put Spicer and CTM in the same sentence where it comes to u-joints. That's like comparing a middle-weight to a super-heavyweight boxer. Neither Tom Wood's nor Spicer's u-joints are even close to being as strong as the nearly bulletproof CTM is. Night and day.
I dunno. I've broken both equally. But you're right.
__________________
2000 Jeep XJ - Chopped / Locked
1997 Jeep XJ - Daily Driver
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD - 6-speed, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek
 
BeachinXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Beach®, DE
Posts: 5,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Well I'm not looking for durability. I'm looking for extreme driveline angle capability. LS1 + SM465 + Dana 300 = short driveshaft.
If you did some grinding on a shaft and stronger ujoint i am sure you could accomplish almost the same thing.
__________________
2000 Jeep XJ - Chopped / Locked
1997 Jeep XJ - Daily Driver
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD - 6-speed, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
GrimJeeper91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,270
Those zerks would be gone in about five minutes in the rocks (at least on the pinion end)...
__________________
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Grewe02
Guns > Swords
 
Grewe02's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, Kalifornia
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ View Post
If you did some grinding on a shaft and stronger ujoint i am sure you could accomplish almost the same thing.
This is very true, I may have to look into some sort of option along this line.
__________________
Andy, KD8EIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Tj_Justin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 196
I would assume with that kinda equipment your also going to do a stretch, that should help a little bit.

Also, what axles are you running, Would my assumption of a 14 bolt rear and Hp D60 front be correct?


Maybe consider a 9" in the rear if your not going to huge, you could get a high pinion differential in the rear to help you out a bit more.





Wait a tick, What is tech doing in GD :flipoff:
__________________
8.8 w/ lockrite
RE lift, 35" Mud Kings
98 Wrangler 4 banger
Tj_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Grewe02
Guns > Swords
 
Grewe02's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, Kalifornia
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj_Justin View Post
I would assume with that kinda equipment your also going to do a stretch, that should help a little bit.

Also, what axles are you running, Would my assumption of a 14 bolt rear and Hp D60 front be correct?


Maybe consider a 9" in the rear if your not going to huge, you could get a high pinion differential in the rear to help you out a bit more.





Wait a tick, What is tech doing in GD :flipoff:
Yeah, I've still got the Dturdy and AMC 20 for now. I'm just going to DD it until I can afford a Hi9 and HP44. 35s will be my max me thinks.

Oh and it's in GD because there is better tech advice here.
__________________
Andy, KD8EIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.