TJ tailgate = YJ tailgate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > TJ tailgate = YJ tailgate?

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ tailgate = YJ tailgate?

it seems like i should know this, but I dont, also, I don't have a YJ handy to measure up... they have the same basic configuration, but would a diamond plate cover cut for a YJ fit a TJ?

lj

Unread 06-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
LoneJeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

no one? pff... and you call your selves enthusiasts.

lj
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Upstate Chili

I can provide YJ measurements, what do you need?
Upstate Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
LoneJeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

well hell UC nice to see ya. how's things been?

Really, it'd be too much to ask for all the measurements i'd need, between the hinge length, width and placement, total gate height/width, handle dimensions, etc... it'd be just as easy to find a YJ for sale somewhere. I was just wondering if the tailgates are interchangeable.

Thanks for offering though.

lj
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Upstate Chili

I know the hinges are different. If i had to guess i would say the tailgates are not interchangeable.

Upstate Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know hinge bolt pattern (both gate and body) are different. I suppose you COULD drill new holes on either but you'll have to insert thsee backplate into the part you drilled. Gate is press fit so probably not feasable, and the wheelwell shape and mounting plate bolt position for the body backplate is also different. But if you put your mind to it I suppose you can always find a way.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.