Tips and tricks for the races at Talladega - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tips and tricks for the races at Talladega

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Tips and tricks for the races at Talladega

Anyone got any info on where to sit, parking and so on. It'll be my first time, and I've heard its a bit bigger than KS Speedway. Thanks!

Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Bier_bitte

If you're not first, you're last.

Only tip you need.
Bier_bitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Indy

Go straight, turn left, repeat.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Been almost 10 years since I went, but I loved sitting in Tri-Oval tower (directly across from pit road), and if you're about 45 rows or more up, you can see the whole track from your seat. No matter where you sit be prepared to be surrounded by drunk rowdy rednecks, especially towards the end of the race. Don't get in a hurry to get in or out of the parking lot either.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
chowner
2014 WK 

Don't go? Nah JK

Hopefully Danica will crash and make your day.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've only gone to the fall race, but here it goes. If you're camping, which I hope you are, don't camp too close to the dirt track or everything will be covered in red dust...actually everything will be covered in red dust but it's much worse near that dirt track. Take beads, lots and lots of beads, and be prepared to drink most of what you see out of your memory. Expandable coolers, you've seen them in wal-mart and wondered why a little cooler has a top that unzips and expands to taller than three times it width; Talladega limits the size of the cooler you can carry into the track based on the footprint dimensions, but no regulation on height! Don't sit too close to the track or you will only see about 10 seconds worth of the race. Stick around the campsites after everyone clears out, not only will you avoid the traffic but you'll be amazed at what people leave behind.
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
Don't go? Nah JK

Hopefully Danica will crash and make your day.
Danica crash? Never.
Air Force Jeep Club #76
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #8
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If you're on the top section of Tri-Oval Tower...bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear a light (color and weight) shirt. Being on the bottom section of Tri-Oval tower definitely will help with the sun. Very loud down in there though, but that's part of the experience!

You're not allowed hard case coolers anymore. Only soft coolers with dimensions of 12x12 I believe.

Get ready to walk...a lot.

Staying all weekend? Just going to the Cup race?

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Will do. I was thinking about camping, but I'm tempted to save money and get a hotel an hour out and save a couple hundred dollars. Thinking just the cup race, but haven't decided. The race is my last weekend down there for training so I'll probably be close to broke and trying to save money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
If you're on the top section of Tri-Oval Tower...bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear a light (color and weight) shirt. Being on the bottom section of Tri-Oval tower definitely will help with the sun. Very loud down in there though, but that's part of the experience!

You're not allowed hard case coolers anymore. Only soft coolers with dimensions of 12x12 I believe.

Get ready to walk...a lot.

Staying all weekend? Just going to the Cup race?
Air Force Jeep Club #76
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
Don't go? Nah JK

Hopefully Kyle Busch will crash and make your day.
Fixed that for ya.
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I like Danica but she hasn't exactly set the Nascar world on fire has she? I think her team (Stewart-Haas racing) should try to get special permission from the Nascar Nation to let her drive a brightly colored, green "Go Daddy", soccer Mom mini van on the track! Ha. She couldn't do much worse this year could she?
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

How about they both crash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason93 View Post
Fixed that for ya.
Air Force Jeep Club #76
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Race hasn't even started and Danica has already crashed.

I know I am only talking about Bristol, but she needs to find a new sport or a see through fire suit!
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well be sure to give yourself more than enough time to drive/park in if you don't camp. It gets to be an absolute mad house on the roads becuase they aren't designed to handle that much traffic.

And buy your beer before you get there.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake989 View Post
I've only gone to the fall race, but here it goes. If you're camping, which I hope you are, don't camp too close to the dirt track or everything will be covered in red dust...actually everything will be covered in red dust but it's much worse near that dirt track. Take beads, lots and lots of beads, and be prepared to drink most of what you see out of your memory. Expandable coolers, you've seen them in wal-mart and wondered why a little cooler has a top that unzips and expands to taller than three times it width; Talladega limits the size of the cooler you can carry into the track based on the footprint dimensions, but no regulation on height! Don't sit too close to the track or you will only see about 10 seconds worth of the race. Stick around the campsites after everyone clears out, not only will you avoid the traffic but you'll be amazed at what people leave behind.
obviously been before

set off of turn 3 and about 20 rows up you will see most of the track for little money. Look up degabus.com to see how true Mericans and rednecks like to party. The free camping area is a mandatory bucket list item and you won't regret it, you also won't get much sleep. Take everything you need with you, there is no way short of hiking 10 miles you are getting out of there. Driving a vehicle would be considered just dumb. Beads... get some beads.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.