Three dead in Maine four wheeling mishap. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Three dead in Maine four wheeling mishap.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I was in high school a classmate of mine died in a similar manner, only she got her car stuck in sand. From what I was told, the tail pipe was partially blocked and she left the engine running to keep the heater going as it was a cold night. CO built up and killed her.

Carbon monoxide kills by binding to hemoglobin (the oxygen carrying blood cell), and by doing so it prevents oxygen from binding to hemoglobin. Carbon monoxide is used as a humane means of euthanizing animals as it causes drowsiness, loss of consciousness and ultimately asphyxiation as the hemoglobin can no longer acquire oxygen. It will do the same to people. CO is odorless, so just because you don't smell exhaust fumes doesn't mean that it isn't building up.

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am thinking they got stuck, and decided to just wait it out until morning and left it running to stay warm and fell asleep and never woke up. Doesn't sound hinky, just unfortunate. Growing up we were taught if you are stuck in bad storm to keep the exhaust clear if you are running the vehicle to stay warm to allow the exhaust to get out.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
AlumaDoo
2000 WJ 

Perfect set up. Stuck in the mud, probably drunk, in a bog with no wind, other swamp gases, combined with Co, the gases stay down on the suface and don't disipate.......truck running, they pass out one at a time as they tell stories, and die in their sleep. I didn't read the article....was the truck still running or out of gas? Talk about bad luck!!
AlumaDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
Indy

Agreed. I f.eel bad for the whole thing.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This has happened around here before, people get stuck and sleep inside the vehicle with it running. Not the best idea.
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While growing up in WV, I was taught to clear the exhaust pipe.. Always have a window cracked when running, but don't run it all the time.. Run it for 10 minutes or so every hour.. Because of CO2 build up..

I had a friend that was in his car warming it up. His daughter was in the back seat.. He didn't know he had an exhaust leak and the it leaked into the car.. When his wife came out, he was passed out and his daughter was dead.. That is why a properly functioning exhaust is very important.. Not for performance or gas savings, but for safety..
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.