Three dead in Maine four wheeling mishap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Three dead in Maine four wheeling mishap.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
85and94and
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Three dead in Maine four wheeling mishap.

Quote:
Husband, wife among Windsor bog death victims

WINDSOR, Maine (AP) — Authorities say the three people found dead in a Jeep in a bog in Windsor over the weekend were apparently overcome by carbon monoxide fumes as the driver tried to accelerate out of the mire.

Officials have identified the victims as 41-year-old Reginald Gay, his wife, 33-year-old Samantha Gay, both of Windsor, and 22-year-old Luke Thompson of China.

The three went four-wheeling and were last seen alive around 7 p.m. Friday. When they didn't return home as expected, a relative went looking for them and found the vehicle Saturday evening about 300 yards from the road.

Authorities say it appears the vehicle got stuck and exhaust fumes entered the enclosed passenger compartment as Reginald Gay was trying to drive the Jeep out of the bog. http://www.sunjournal.com/news/appro...ictims/1195276
RIP. Be careful out there, folks!

85and94and is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow!?
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand how all three died. It seems like one would have gone first & the others would have seen there was a problem.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson
I don't understand how all three died. It seems like one would have gone first & the others would have seen there was a problem.
There could of been alcohole involved.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Of all the ways to potentially die on the trail, I'd have never thought of that.

Note to self- remove top when in the mud.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0 View Post
Of all the ways to potentially die on the trail, I'd have never thought of that.

Note to self- remove top when in the mud.
Add that to the list of why wranglers are better than cherokees.

There's some things in this story that don't add up, I'm willing to bet alcohol was involved.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
Add that to the list of why wranglers are better than cherokees.

There's some things in this story that don't add up, I'm willing to bet alcohol was involved.
If you're in an enclosed area ... top or no top, the CO is going to suck the oxygen out of the room.
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Windows down in the mud
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
If you're in an enclosed area ... top or no top, the CO is going to suck the oxygen out of the room.

In a field with no top doesn't exactly sound like an enclosed area. Can't see how a stuck car by itself could produce enough co to be an issue. Think of the thousands of people that spend a few hours a day surrounded by parked and idling cars in traffic every day without a problem.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
True, but an enclosed area would be something like a garage. Outside, even surrounded by trees is far from enclosed. I still see a lot of holes in this story. I'm not doubting that it could have happened, but there's a lot that's not being said.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds hinky. Unless they sat in the big for a while idling and passed out. But wouldn't one of the 3 notice the other pass out?
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
vortechYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This almost sounds fake; unless they were drunk I don't see how all of them die. Like someone else said maybe one or even two of them but 3? maybe they were stuck and drunk decided to sleep it off before asking for help the next morning got cold and started the engine fell asleep and died.
vortechYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Kayjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
In a field with no top doesn't exactly sound like an enclosed area. Can't see how a stuck car by itself could produce enough co to be an issue. Think of the thousands of people that spend a few hours a day surrounded by parked and idling cars in traffic every day without a problem.

I know this story doesn't make sense, and no where in this article does it say the top was off. I know the people involved and I also know for a fact that the top was on, the windows were open, but the top was on.
Kayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

You would think as they are feeling light headed and sick they would get out of the Jeep. I didnt know carbon monoxide worked that fast.

IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
Indy

I've had co poisoning twice. Because I'm smart like that and was working on cars in a garage. Once was a cold night and door open, low temps I'm guessing kept all the nasty inside the heated garage. Woke up with a massiv e headache the next day, pretty much the worst hangover ever. Never felt sick, stoned, or anything else while we were working. Would have thought I was just having a bad day until I talked to the guy working with me and found he was having the exact same thing happening. 2 car garage door 3/4 open, you would think would have been more than enough.

One of the cardinal rules if you're stranded in a blizzard and have to keep it running is to leave the windows open to keep you from crossing over. It would have to be the perfect storm of bad luck in decent temps and windows open to make this happen. If they were just trying to get unstuck... It just doesn't happen that fast.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.