For those who wear cowboy boots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > For those who wear cowboy boots

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For those who wear cowboy boots

How many pair do you own? I am trying to go to only boots for everyday wear (except for gym, etc). I work at a job where I am required to look professional and where a collared shirt. I have a nice pair of brown ones but should I get another color/cut to decease wear on these or just wear these til I need another set?

What is maintenance on these? daily, monthly or yearly?

Unread 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I only have one pair (so far), but they're sh*tkickers, so I just wipe off the poo and poison ivy and they keep going.

I'd love to get them for everyday use, but they're so darn expensive!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone else?
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I bought a pair of Twisted X boots a couple years ago. I DD'ed them and beat the heck out of 'em. They lasted two years before they started falling apart. These are now designated as my 'work boots' when working with something that could harm what I'm wearing.

I then bought a pair of Ariat Heritage Roughstock boots as the leather is a bit tougher. I went this route hoping they last longer. These are now my go to boots unless I'm doing something that could drastically harm them.

Now, I will say these days I wear 'dress shoes' throughout most of the week meaning I'm putting less miles on my Ariats. When I DD'ed the Twisted X boots, I wore them most of the week. I have considered getting a nice pair of boots that would double as dress shoes but I haven't committed to that. I will say, I love popping on my boots on blue jean Friday. I sometimes look forward to it.

Per oil changes, I usually try to dust off the boots as they get dirty. After they've been beat on a little, I'll wash them up fairly well, let them dry, then coat them up with Bick 4 leather conditioner.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a set of cowhide boots from Cavenders back in 1994 when I was in college. This was back when they would give you a beer while you waited for them to ring up your sale. I have resoled them four times. I used to wear them all the time (not daily, I wear heavy duty boots for work) nowadays I wear them occasionally for weddings and whatnot. They are brown, and probably the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I clean and shine them every so often, otherwise it is generally a little spit on a rag and they look great. It's funny, I went to one of the most conservative schools in Texas, studied one if the most conservative fields in college (construction) and I wore sandals every day till I graduated and swore I'd never wear boots. Now I wear them everyday for work and most days around the house.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Me and a bunch of other guys at work ordered these together cause we got a discount through shoes for crews. $100 shipped, taken straight out of our paycheck. We don't have them yet, though. They're backordered til at least the end of next month.

[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Chris

Those twisted X boots are the same ones I have. Got them 2 years ago for my birthday and wore them about 10 times a year til last week and now I don't want to take them off.
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

They are good boots. They were my first pair. I was just too hard on the poor things...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know if this is what you're getting at, but I have a couple pair...one pair brown Justin alligators, and one pair Nocona grey ostrich. Obviously these aren't **** kickers. I don't wear them often, couple times a month each. They basically sub for dress shoes for me for occasions ranging from blue jeans and nice shirt up to suit or coat and tie.

I have worn the grey ostriches with a dark grey suit at funerals and such, and the brown 'gators with khakis and a navy sportcoat and tie, and under both circumstances been told that the boots look sharp and add a certain flair.

Since I don't wear them that often, they have lasted 10-15 years each, I don't remenber exactly. I do recomend sole savers, though. I have gone through two or three of those per pair, as well as heel caps.
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
Don't know if this is what you're getting at, but I have a couple pair...one pair brown Justin alligators, and one pair Nocona grey ostrich. Obviously these aren't **** kickers. I don't wear them often, couple times a month each. They basically sub for dress shoes for me for occasions ranging from blue jeans and nice shirt up to suit or coat and tie.

I have worn the grey ostriches with a dark grey suit at funerals and such, and the brown 'gators with khakis and a navy sportcoat and tie, and under both circumstances been told that the boots look sharp and add a certain flair.

Since I don't wear them that often, they have lasted 10-15 years each, I don't remenber exactly. I do recomend sole savers, though. I have gone through two or three of those per pair, as well as heel caps.
Perfect. This is what I was asking about. I wear mine for work where I have to dress semi-nice to really nice sometimes. I have always worn dress shoes and really short socks due to having sweaty feet so I can easily remove my shoes..... But with winter coming and needing 2 new pair of dress shoes (black and brown), I was thinking about just getting a second (not brown) pair of boots (since I have brown ones already). Then I could have 2 pair to somewhat alternate when needed.
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
mattastic13
1983 CJ7 

I have 4 pair. I have a black Lucchese ostrich pair for when I wear black pants, a tobacco colored pair of ostrich Justins for brown pants/jeans. I have a pair of steel toe boots for camping/hunting and then I have my work boots.

I use the Bick 4 conditioner on the ostrich boots on a weekly basis. These boots have lasted me 5 years and I plan on resoling them when necessary. My dad has a pair of boots he has worn almost daily for 15 years, just needed to be resoled.
mattastic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I sent my used Justin boots to my cousin for use on his farm in Europe. Have a pair of Ariats now that I use for yard work, casual, etc.

I've never used boots for formal or business wear, but if you have a job where you can pull it off, then go for it. I usually stick with square-toe simple roper style boots, but like some of the stuff from Tony Lama also (plus most or all of their boots are made in the US).
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like I am going to the store to get some conditioner tonight.

By the way, I call point-y toed boots cowboy boots. It there a specific name for them or just boots?
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

They go by various "marketing" names : I've always called them Western boots.
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
musicbis
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have two Pairs of Stewart boots. Hand made in Tucson. Brown elk skin pair for daily use and a black cow hide pair for nice occasions. The elk skin pair is over 10 years old and ready to be sent back to the boot maker for their third set of souls.
musicbis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.