Things are turning for the better...time to make some decisions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Things are turning for the better...time to make some decisions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Things are turning for the better...time to make some decisions

My Jeep's back on the road and running great, she's gonna have her wheel's balanced, flywheel checked, rear main replaced, and AAL's installed on Wednesday; money is no longer something hard to find or get; I'm finally starting to socialize more than I used to, I'm clearing out all my junk for even more money, getting ready to get a job, and gonna have a permit in 3 weeks.

So, it's time to decide about something. With my now good flow of income, plus a up-coming job and selling my junk, and a $25-a-week allowance for doing nothing, I figure it's about time for a second vehicle. Over the years, I bought computers and project lawn mowers to spend my mula on. But this year, I want a bit more of a "challenge" in work.....

So, I'm trying to decide what kind of vehicle I want. This is where I want you people's help...

I want a SUV, because I need the space, cargo room, and people-room . And I've always been fond of Cherokee's, but not so much to Grand Cherokee's. But recently, when my Comanche was out-of-comission, I was driving my dad's ZJ back-and-forth each day, windows down, in 4WD Part-Time, and just crusing on the dirt road picking up stuff for my Comanche. Man, that ZJ is alot of fun...and it compared to others isn't even worth much to crap . But his ZJ has made me re-consider Grand Cherokee's altogether...but, his is a Limited, and I'd like something a little less classy, which makes me still partial to all Cherokee's, and possibly GC Laredo's now...

But, around here, XJ and ZJ prices are way too high, so this brings me back to the ever-so easy-to-find GMC and Chevy mid-sized pickups, i.e. the S-10's and S-15's. Next door, this guy has a 82' GMC S-15 4WD extended-cab truck for sale for $250. It's in "beater" condition right now, and needs a new oil pump ASAP. Other than that, from the neighboring..neighbors... ...they say it's a dependable truck, as most people borrow people's vehicles around here.

It's an extended cab, so it does have more room...but I have absolutely no need for a truck, nonetheless I have my Comanche and I'd like it to remain my only truck if I can.......but, I'd like to have something with the wind blowing in my hair. Something like a Wrangler. But YJ's and CJ's around here are WAAAAY out of my league in price. One 92' YJ with a busted motor and missing top can cost you up to $1800, in cash! So, they are pretty much out of consideration...but, I've always been partial to things like...get this...Geo Trackers (laugh if you want too, I know it's funny). They're just my size, have a rear top, and still have more passenger and cargo room, plus the convenience of SMALLNESS and cheapness. But they also, for some unknown reason, seems to be a tad bit high. One with a leaky top and missing rear seat and radio can cost about $800, w/ rust.

But, it looks like with the ever-increasing price of gas, I need something economic. Like a car.....my good neighbor Jacky has a 88' Dodge Colt (import->Plymouth), 2 door, fair interior, fair paint, but bad timing. When it was running good, it has exactly 58MPG It's a 4 speed, so it would make great training for using a manual tranny. Plus, again, it's just my size! And kind of like a hatchback...but it's no convertible; nonetheless, when the timing was still good and I was borrowing it, THAT THING WAS LOADS OF FUN!!! He'd give it to me, free, for me to get the timing fixed, so it's also in consideration...

With all this information, what do ya'll think I need to get? I'm not going to be wheeling my Comanche much anymore due to the recently found water that got into the tranny So, in the end, I will need a wheeler, mainly a beater. But, in the 2 years to come, I will be paying for gas, therefor I will need economy...so...what ya'll recommend?

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Some pics of that GMC...I'll get pics of the Colt tommorrow, perhaps...

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Unread 05-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
Jeepsterboy101
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly, I say save the money. Just drive the MJ around until it dies. And by then you should have enough cash saved up to buy a new or pretty much new Jeep or whatever you would like. Or you can dump all the cash into the MJ. But I don't think you should get another car. Maybe an old Sentra or Civic or something. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: Reason I say not to buy another car is I believe you are only 15 yea? You dont have that much income coming in. And two cars just means more expenses. But again, thats just what I think.
Unread 05-17-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsterboy101
Honestly, I say save the money. Just drive the MJ around until it dies. And by then you should have enough cash saved up to buy a new or pretty much new Jeep or whatever you would like. Or you can dump all the cash into the MJ. But I don't think you should get another car. Maybe an old Sentra or Civic or something. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: Reason I say not to buy another car is I believe you are only 15 yea? You dont have that much income coming in. And two cars just means more expenses. But again, thats just what I think.
Currently, I'm getting $25 a week, plus a steady income from doing junk and stuff of about $150 a week. Adding up on selling my junk and looking for a job, I get a normal income-a-week currently of $250. For me, that's purdy good, but I do hear your opinion. I've done about all I want to do to my MJ since it's 2WD...it can't do anything I want it to do; I need people and cargo room (i.e. a Cherokee) and it must be 4WD Part-Time in the very least. My work stretches to many heights....literally. I have to go in the back woods for alot of things, and my 2WD MJ sometimes just can't go through the swampy terrain. Though it probably could be fixed with a Dana 44, Tom Wood's driveshaft, and lockers; I'd rather have 4WD. But from hearing other opinions, 4WD is harder and more expensive to keep up. So, I might just upgrade my MJ from the firewall back

But within 2 years, I will have to have something economic...it will be a requirement.

Unread 05-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
wyldejackyl

Get an old VW diesel. Run it on vegetable oil for free. It'll pay for itself in a few months. VW made and still does make cars with bombproof engines. It's the electrical systems you have to worry about. Go pre-95 and everything is super simple - all you need are basic metric hand tools, parts are cheap, and you can beat the piss out of them.
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
Get an old VW diesel. Run it on vegetable oil for free. It'll pay for itself in a few months. VW made and still does make cars with bombproof engines. It's the electrical systems you have to worry about. Go pre-95 and everything is super simple - all you need are basic metric hand tools, parts are cheap, and you can beat the piss out of them.
Hey, actually, there is a old VW Golf diesel in town pretty cheap.........hmm...thank ya

Unread 05-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
SoCoYJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion, don't get another vehicle. or sell the MJ and get a different car/truck/Jeep. I currently have 2 vehicles, have for a good bit of time now. I'm only 20, and I can't afford it. It is dumb in my opinion, until you have a steady career and all. I have a friend that also has 2, and one of his is sitting in the back yard because he can't afford to fix it. My second is in my backyard because I can't afford to fix it and don't have the time. Not to mention insurance....that's just my opinion.

If your parents pay insurance ignore that comment, but eventually you will have to.
SoCoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #8
wyldejackyl

Rudolf Diesel originally designed his engine to run on peanut oil. Then he somehow disappeared..and lo and behold the damn things run on petroleum distillate.
I'm psyched..as soon as I get money for a project like this I am so driving around using grease as a fuel!

Or you can talk to Mr. Delchev:

www.dtm.freehosting.net

Safe fuel burns on peroxide and sugar with 0 NoX emissions.
It's a shame the Big 3 keep ignoring his phone calls.
Unread 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #9
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

DANGIT DANGIT DANGIT, somebody bought that VW Golf!!! That's what I get for holding out for a Jeep

Oh well...I'm gonna hold up on the decision for more numbers in advice on here, plus for my Jeep to get fixed Wednesday.
Unread 05-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #10
wyldejackyl

http://thesamba.com

You could always get a beetle!
Unread 05-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
http://thesamba.com

You could always get a beetle!

No, thank ya...........

Unread 05-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
wyldejackyl

The thing was in production for over 60 years. Find me another car that has been (and don't say jeep, because A LOT has changed). It is one of the most well thought-out cars ever designed, by Mr. Porsche himself.

You can get rid of the homo factor by turning into a cal-looker. Personally I would either do this or find a Karmann Ghia to do it to - lower it (skid plates are a must), ultra wide rear wheels, chrome everything, dark metallic blue paint w/ lots of clear coat, leather interior, and either a built Type4 VW motor, or a mid-engine conversion with a VR6 or turbocharged ABA-code engine.
There have even been conversions to the early RX-7 rotaries. Kennedy Engineering makes tons of bellhousing adapters for anything wild you want to do. Parts are cheap and available. You can build the engine with a torque wrench and simple tools. You can remove the engine by yourself, without a lift of any sort. Same with the transmission. No radiators to ever replace either.
Unread 05-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #13
Alec

Quote:
Rudolf Diesel originally designed his engine to run on peanut oil. Then he somehow disappeared..and lo and behold the damn things run on petroleum distillate.
I'm psyched..as soon as I get money for a project like this I am so driving around using grease as a fuel!

Or you can talk to Mr. Delchev:

www.dtm.freehosting.net

Safe fuel burns on peroxide and sugar with 0 NoX emissions.
It's a shame the Big 3 keep ignoring his phone calls.
I am waiting for the history channel to have the "Diesel" story in "unsolved mysteries"

Quote:
After 1897 Diesel figured he was done with his invention, and he turned to promoting it. But the engine was woefully unready for the market. Eleven more years of improvement and innovation were needed. Meanwhile, Diesel worked himself into a nervous breakdown promoting the not-yet-ready engine.
He might have been killed, fainted while getting some air on the deck, or killed himself due stress.

His body was found floating 10 days later.

edit .... where i got the info from

http://www.nrhs.com/web_exclusives/rudolph_diesel/

Not only the oil industry alone was interested in making Diesel disappear, but the coal interest had their hundreds of millions of reasons too.

Shipbuilders, coal, petroleum, other inventors, all european navies; a good chunk of the pre WW1 powers, economic and political, had an eye on Diesel for one reason of another.
Quote:
All Diesel's concern over public opinion made him an unhappy person. A person with that kind of talent should've known how to sit back and enjoy it.
This is for countryjeep, since we hijacked your thread, at least you get a little quote to think about due the nature of the events that had taken place in this forum.

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]

Last edited by Alec; 05-17-2005 at 02:50 PM..
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
SouLTeRRoR

I would save your money.
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Green Jeep Club Memeber #162[/COLOR]
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/403298][U]My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee[/U][/URL]
4.0 I6 103,000 miles

stereo: 2 12" Alpine Type-R SWR-1242d subs,
Kenwood KAC-7252 amp, Sony Xplode hu.

mods done:
Black Eruo tailights, Silver Star head lights, Mesh grill inserts

future mods:
Yokohama Geolandar AT+ II LT245/70R-16 tires
Clarion ProAudio DXZ645MP hu

[COLOR=Blue]10" Audiobahn subwoofers for sale[/COLOR] pm for info
SouLTeRRoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #15
wyldejackyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
I am waiting for the history channel to have the "Diesel" story in "unsolved mysteries"

He might have been killed, fainted while getting some air on the deck, or killed himself due stress.

His body was found floating 10 days later.
I have also heard that someone stole the technology from him..he was german, and I thought they said that the british subs were found using diesels shortly after his death, before they went into the U-Boats. Either way, he was WAY ahead of his time...too bad the petroleum industry mucked it up from the start. If we can run cars on corn oil, which is completely safe and renewable..why not? It's the next logical step between that and something like Delchev's Turbine..which by the way is nearly 80% efficient.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.