Are there any Black (African-American's... not Jeep Color) owner's here? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Are there any Black (African-American's... not Jeep Color) owner's here?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #91
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idencustom
While this thread remains a mature theme... why is it that Italian-American, Irish-American, and Polish-American not seen in the same light as African-American?

If find that when I ask my Italian friends born in the US... they claim.. "I'm Italian", before they say they are American...

I was in a community in the North Bronx, and I swear the people there seem to still think they were in Ireland... singing praise Ireland songs.. and spewing Irish love...

But the term African-American seems to bother those same people... strange...
There is no need for hyphenation from anyone. We all have tremendous amount of freedom and potential here in America, and we should thank God we are all here and not "back home". I had a boss one time, she immigrated to America from Cuba as a girl in the 60's. She told me that as soon as her family arrived, her mother told her that they were never to speak their native language again, as they were now Americans. She had perfect English, and had become a successful senior executive in a large company. I had no idea that she was born not speaking English. She was living the American dream.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #92
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the term african-american was more of a politically correct thing?
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #93
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

I live in an all black nieborhood, nobody has Jeeps except me and the other white guys who have an XJ. One thing I notice is all the black guys like our Jeeps and always wave when I am cruising around in them. I think they would have a Jeep if they needed, but they have Broncos and Blazers for snow and quads for wheeling. My buddy growing up was is black and he always said "man, someday I'm gonna get me a Jeep and drive it to the beach with the top down." I feel bad he still hasn't gotten his yet. My other friend is a native Peruvian. He has a '79 CJ-5 with a Vortech 350 in teh U.S. and a '66 Bronco in Peru. I think it is fair to say wheeling is a multicultural activity and everyone likes Jeeps.
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #94
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idencustom
Funny...

I never saw the confederate flag until i moved to Georgia... Let's just say.. you get use to it here. I see it on the side of trucks, hanging from homes and flapping from motorcycles. Initially, I was told to avoid anyone in the south who waved the flag... but, i've since learn that's not always the case. Some people seem to just be really upset that the South joined the North many years ago... and even tho they seem to be the great-great-grandchildren of the men of that war... they still miss the ol' days?
With just a little research,I think everyone will find that what is popularly called a "confederate" flag is not the actual confederate states flag,but a battle flag.
Being from the midwest,I'm not into such symbols,but I guess its a southern pride thing. Whatever flag you fly,there's no need to be "in your face" with it.
Unread 04-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #95
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy1
With just a little research,I think everyone will find that what is popularly called a "confederate" flag is not the actual confederate states flag,but a battle flag.
Being from the midwest,I'm not into such symbols,but I guess its a southern pride thing. Whatever flag you fly,there's no need to be "in your face" with it.
I'm in the good ole south. Mississippi had a vote a few years back to take the confederate symbol off of the state flag or leave it as it. It passed with "flying colors" to keep it the same. I did NOT vote on it because it didn't mean a hill of beans to me either way. It doesn't put any money in my pocket to have it on or not. Some do get riled up over the issue. I don't see the significance in it. I think it's totally ridiculous for the blacks to get upset over it and is equally ridiculous for the whites to make a big deal out of it.
I agree with a previous poster that either way, it should not be "in your face" for any ethnic group.

This day in time, everyone has got any equal chance to make what they want out of their life. Some choose to get the education and take it to the top and some choose to linger in their ancestorial history pity and use that to be catered to by the government and to use that same excuse to justify a life of crime. If anyone chooses to cry about the tough times that their ancestors had many, many years ago, I have no pity for them. They could use that same energy to change the family tree and prove to all that they don't have to be like their great, great, great grandfather that they never knew anyway.

My uncle was tortured and killed on a floating prison ship in the Philippines by the Japs in the WWII but I don't hate the Japanese today for it today and I don't dwell on the facts. It was an era in our history. I've even bought a few Japanese vehicles in my time.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member

Last edited by SpoiledRotten; 04-10-2007 at 11:15 AM..
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #96
Kachi

I'm an Asian, and I do get some somewhat-surprised looks in Denver area. I always thought it was due to my good looks and equally good looking TJ.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #71[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Red Jeep Club Member #386[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Kachi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #97
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know of 2, but one sold his....so 1.
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #98
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think African-American is something of a misnomer. I have a friend who's family is from South Africa. Guy is as white as can be. Technically, he is African-American. In fact, I he told me once he got in trouble for filling out some college form and putting on there he was African-American, they gave him a bunch of **** about it. They shut up when he said he moved from Africa 6 years ago.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #99
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW... was it FDR or Teddy who said there is no room hyphenated americans?

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565361

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #100
idencustom
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087
BTW... was it FDR or Teddy who said there is no room hyphenated americans?
"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."

Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by idencustom; 04-10-2007 at 12:52 PM..
idencustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #101
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
I was wondering if there are any African-Canadians here? LOL. Welcome to the forums and glad to see a good intellectual topic going in general discussion without the usual stupidity.
Naa .. we are all just Canadians. The "race of our ancestors" just isn't as important as being a Canadian is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
The states that formed the Confederacy have long since become reinstated as part of the United States, so the confederate flag has the same reasons to be flown as Texas flying the Mexican flag, which is none.
It is funny that you say this. We have flags of all kinds of countries flown here in Canada - especially at the businesses that have connections with other countries. I've seen American, Italian, British, Brazilian, Japanese flags flown side-by-side with Canadian and provincial flags. The "international companies" really like to promote the fact that they are international.

Cool, eh?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #102
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There is a JK on dubs driven by Birdman and Lil Wayne in their music video "You ain't know"... I rest my case
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #103
possessed

I've only seen one black guy Jeeper in my town, he has a lifted CJ5.
2002 Jeep Wrangler 3.5 inch suspension lift, 33X1250 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster #40, cold air kit,throttle body spacer
2004 Corvette convertible, Z06 wheels
2005 Corvette coupe, MN6, Flowmasters
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/100_0479.jpg
possessed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #104
Beerlover
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I first read the title of this thread "Are there any Black (African-American's... not Jeep Color) owner's here" my first thought was "I thought it was illegal to own them" (African-Americans - not Jeep colors).
Unread 04-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #105
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0482
When idencustom started this thread it was merely about the particular race of jeep owners and was never meant to be a racist. It just seems to me when people start talking about race others get uneasy. We all know that there are different races of people all over why does a question about race have to lead to racism. If you can”t honestly talk about race with a person of a different race without feeling uncomfortable about you need to grow up.
Absolutely. It is just conversation. Lighten up, people.

idencustom, enjoy your Jeep!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.