Texas Engineering Schools - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Texas Engineering Schools

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Texas Engineering Schools

Alright, long story short, my mom might be moving to Texas to take a new job in the next couple months. She has a house where I live now, but she is the only family in this area i'm close with (parents divorced, blah blah). She is gonna either wait to prices go back up and sell it or continue to rent it since it's close to the college I go to. Regardless, she's gonna be in Texas.

I was looking at a couple schools down there and thinking about transferring. She will be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, so nothing is close enough I can commute like I do now. I was looking at Texas A&M for their Civil Engineering program (in my current colleges program). I go to college on a full academic scholarship right now, and I think they would give me the best scholarship and possibility of Aid because of my moms income.

Are there any other schools I should consider looking into down there? Also, how does TX residency work for school? Can I move there and be considered a resident after 6 months, so by the Spring i'd be paying in state prices or what? Also, is there anything else I should be considering? I was going to talk to my advisor at my school now and see what input she has.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

call the school to find out. I think you have to be there 6 months, but I've been gone awhile.

any of the big three state schools are good: Tech, A&M, UT.

check them all out.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

As far as engineering programs in Texas go, there is Texas A&M and Rice. Everybody else are also-rans.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

I think Rice is a little out of my price range...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

he's right....A&M probably is the best.
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

A&M ranked like 10th out of CIVE degree programs based on USNews I think. The only higher TX school was U Texas I think. But they are pretty pricey too it seems. I think A&M will give me close to what I got now money wise as well. I hope to get to my advisor this week and see what she says. But anybody who has any insght here is appreciated.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

your money will go farther in College Station.
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
yes it will...

...people and school is nicer, too.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Well, it seems like A&M is the best choice pending what I can get money wise from them. Worst case is I stay here in the house we bought and live with the people who will rent it out from us (all friends of mine basically). I need to talk to my advisor on Monday it seems.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

You might want to think about Texas Tech (Lubbock). Little smaller enrollment and so fewer "games" the larger schools play to "weed out". Tech still has a great reputation and is placing everyone I know with good paying jobs. Not a good straight shot to DFW area. (OK so I have some prejudice, have two skins in business from Tech, obviously not in English). As to residence, its one year or immediate if you buy property(ie taxpaying property owner) Good luck.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Well, I won't be buying property. And I don't think my mom will be buying another house...probably renting for a while until we get settled.

How is Tech scholarship wise and cost wise? There's obviously nothing close enough to Dallas to stay at home and commute, so cost is gonna matter a little bit. Right now, I have full academic scholarship the covers my tuition. Like I said though, worst case if I stay back here and rent the house we have now with some other people for real cheap and split the money we make with my mom. But, i'd really like to go out there and not stay back here (basically by myself, lol).

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you ought to be able to find a rent house close to campus.

I think if you're a freshman you HAVE to stay in a dorm for a year (but it doesn't seem to be your case).

I hope you like walking...Tech's a giant campus, but pretty neat old Spanish architecture......shockingly, the Architecture school is one of the ugliest on campus.

lotta good food to be had in Lubbock.
Unread 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
red2001tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you care about watching a decent football team in the next few years, gotta go with Tech or UT (sorry Aggies, it had to be said)
red2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Renting would probably be cheaper than living on campus, problem is I wouldn't know anyone there unfortunately. And my mom will be working around Dallas so she will be up there.

My high school had a team that won one game a year, so anything football wise is better than that.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you find roommates in the engineering dept, you can rent for dirt cheap, splitting it 3 ways. and last i recall, utilities aren't that expensive, either. I had an electric bill of 9 bucks on time.

it's not THAT long a drive to Big D from Lubbock. and hey, you're within a day's drive of Colorado, too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.