Tell me about sand driving. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tell me about sand driving.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
itsnowjoke
2014 JK Wrangler 

Tell me about sand driving.

Anyone with sand driving experience out there?

A couple of years ago I paid a sand dune tour. The company used Toyota Tacoma's, and the drivers were sand bosses. I've had nowhere near the same luck in sand using my jeep. But the jeep has to be a much more capable vehicle than a Tacoma, right? To tell the truth, I've never let the air out of my tires like they did because I've never travelled with an air compressor, and I didn't know how low to go.

I read on an older thread that 10-15 psi in the tires works great. That seems low to me. Any idea if there's a threat of the tire bead becoming unseated?

What about refilling the tires? Is there a nice compact portable air compressor you can recommend? I drive four hours south from my house to southern Utah. My trips usually involve camping, and I would rather avoid an air compressor that takes up half of the Jeep. I don't want to wait four hours to fill my tires back up, either.

In remote areas my jeep has done decently in the sand, but there is the occasional paranoid sinking feeling. It would be a long walk out if I sink up to my rails. I'd like to do some dune driving. I have to think there's a way to do sand driving better than what I've been doing.

Thanks for any and all advice.

itsnowjoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to Jeepforum, Check out the Utah section under the Fourwheeling neighbor hood in the southwest subsection. We have a bunch of Utahn's whom are very active on here.

The best way to gauge how low to lower your air pressure would be to Give us more info about your Jeep by filling out your profile info.

I personally run 12psi on 10.50" wide tires on 15x8's when I go wheeling. With the other rigs I have owned I ran 8-10 Psi with 12.50" wide tires on 8" wide wheels. I have never lost a bead.

When I lived back east I did drive on the beach alot in the summer months I will say that 12 PSI always felt nice aslong as you dont make a sharp turns you should not loose a bead .

Asfar as compressors go I run a Smittybilt 2780 compressor I had to replace one after 4 years of service my new one is about a year old now still working great. But they do get hot For anything over 35's I would not recommend this one I would Lean towards a Powertank or a bigger compressor like the 2781

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
itsnowjoke
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I'lll fill out my profile info right away. I've been in an '07 stock JK Rubicon, but am getting a '14 JKU Rubicon. I'll most likely keep it stock for a couple of years, thus 17's.
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
Thanks. I'lll fill out my profile info right away. I've been in an '07 stock JK Rubicon, but am getting a '14 JKU Rubicon. I'll most likely keep it stock for a couple of years, thus 17's.
Ok, So you'll have a 17x7.5" wheel with a 32" Tire you should be fine running 12-15 psi
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Yes, airing down makes all the difference in the world when driving on the sand. The smaller your tires, the less air you need. I've never lost a bead seal at 10 psi.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

They are correct. When driving on sand you want the largest possible footprint without loosing the bead. Airing down will increase the contact patch and help give better traction. You will want to take corners at a lower speed when aired down so you don't break the bead loose.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
itsnowjoke
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Stupid question.....is there a quick way to deflate the tires without holding my fingernail in each valve stem for five minutes?

And is there some kind of device that will cut-off the inflation at a pre-set amount so that I don't have to check each tire 100 times with a gauge?
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've used a deflator like this, real easy and quick.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/95...FY5r7AodLSgAhw

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Smittybilt has some cheap deflators for about $35 and I use them all the time. Those that sit there with their gauge eventually ask me to use them and I comply. If you air down three times a year, its worth the money to buy them. They have to be preset at home before they can be used on the fly but once they're set they are golden. As for airing up, there are several different electric compressors that start at about $40 and go up from there. It isn't a race to get your tires aired up but it sure is nice to have it done quickly. I took an electric compressor and hardware e and hard mounted it into the jeep and it seems to be the one everyone uses when they get bored of standing there holding their cheap compressor's air chuck for fifteen minutes.

Pick up a big box four wheel drive outfitter's catalog and take a peek inside. There are several goodies condusive to your wheeling experiences.
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Without a tire deflator it's either the fingernail, small screw driver, etc

Ya'll are quick. Lol.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also, try not to lose momentum, especially in soft sugar sand.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was out in UAE in a rented Toyota Fortuner, I sank like a rock with street pressure, brought them down to 10 PSI on stock street tires and didn't have a problem. I wanted to see what the difference was after watching some youtube videos on it. One guy in a land cruiser said dropping it down to 10 PSI will give you half again as big a ground patch as regular pressure. I was flying over the very loose stuff. Call a friend that can get you out and try different pressures. It will teach you a lot.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
Thanks. Stupid question.....is there a quick way to deflate the tires without holding my fingernail in each valve stem for five minutes?

And is there some kind of device that will cut-off the inflation at a pre-set amount so that I don't have to check each tire 100 times with a gauge?
If you have nothing else, your key works a lot better than your fingernail.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.