Taxes on Scholarship? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Taxes on Scholarship?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Taxes on Scholarship?

Had a question,

I had a Academic Scholarship for a couple grand each year for 4 years of my college. I didnt file it for 4 years, now that im working, im going to file those from the past.

Anyone know if you get taxed on Academic Scholarships?

Also whats your opinion on taking my taxes to a accountant business over a H&R block?

Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

I say pass on H&R Block or any similar service. The person that will be doing your taxes is likely gonna be a "preparer" that was hired for just seasonal work. If you have the need, go to an accountant....However, most people don't need an accountant. Their are great tax programs that you can buy that will walk you thru doing your taxes. Heck, I've been doing my own taxes since I got my first job without a fancy program.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ask your accountant based on that scholarship. It varies depending on the source and type.

I would always say to goto a local accountant rather than H&R block.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alright local accountant it is. Taxes are easy, however I havent filed for 4 years, had 2 renewing scholarships each year, then I also played the Stock market, received Stipends and dividends then also got married.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.