Tax question: do I have any recourse or am I screwed? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tax question: do I have any recourse or am I screwed?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I was just wondering what options (if any) were available to me.
Your options include some combination of:

a). Paying the tax and reducing your life hassles.
b). Not paying the tax and increasing your life hassles.
c). Politely letting the employer know they made the mistake. No effect on your life hassles.
d). Aggressively letting the employer know they made the mistake. Potentially increases your life hassles. Probability is in direct proportion to your level of aggression.
e). Updating your W-4 so you have more taken out, and monitoring your taxes withheld against your estimated owed, so that you can adjust the W-4 throughout the year as necessary. Potentially reduces your life hassles.

Guys? Have I missed anything here?

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
dmcanally

2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't bother paying taxes, vote for Ron Paul, and you get to keep YOUR money instead of having it TAKEN from you.
,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
dmcanally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

as annoying as it seems, you would have paid the Difference throughout the year if you would of claimed as single instead of having it hit you at once at the end of the year. So either way the government would have gotten their money. $4000 does seem a little high for the difference though, are you sure you deducted the 8750 from your adjusted gross income and then looked up the tax table using the taxable income number
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog
Your options include some combination of:

a). Paying the tax and reducing your life hassles.
b). Not paying the tax and increasing your life hassles.
c). Politely letting the employer know they made the mistake. No effect on your life hassles.
d). Aggressively letting the employer know they made the mistake. Potentially increases your life hassles. Probability is in direct proportion to your level of aggression.
e). Updating your W-4 so you have more taken out, and monitoring your taxes withheld against your estimated owed, so that you can adjust the W-4 throughout the year as necessary. Potentially reduces your life hassles.

Guys? Have I missed anything here?
I'm going with a combination of a, c, and e. I am going to try and convince the company to pay my $121 penalty since it was their mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claentj
as annoying as it seems, you would have paid the Difference throughout the year if you would of claimed as single instead of having it hit you at once at the end of the year. So either way the government would have gotten their money. $4000 does seem a little high for the difference though, are you sure you deducted the 8750 from your adjusted gross income and then looked up the tax table using the taxable income number
I just did the quick & dirty on the TurboTax site. I'm buying Tax Cut later so I'll be sure then.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.