Tax question: do I have any recourse or am I screwed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tax question: do I have any recourse or am I screwed?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tax question: do I have any recourse or am I screwed?

When I filled out my W-4, I put down single but my company put down married in their system.

Because of their screwup, I owe close to $4000.

Do I have any recourse?

"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would think so, if it wasn't your error... I don't know if there's some sort of a process (Like filing for an extension) that you can go through...seems like you can't be the only person who has had this happen.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Get married real fast and back date the certificate to 12/31/07

Honestly I don't think there's much you can do other than explain the screwup to the IRS and hope they'll give you extra time to come up with the taxes (don't hold your breath tho). You were given that extra $4K throughout the year with your paychecks and now the IRS wants their money back
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

You owe the tax, you owe the tax. If you don't have the money, you can get on a payment plan with the IRS and/or use a credit card. The one big mistake you do not want to make is to not file because you don't have the money. That will REALLY cost you.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
bobjp

Are some not understanding the original post? HE'S NOT MARRIED. Why would he pay the taxes of a married person if he's not married???

I doubt anyone here is going to have any idea how to handle this. You need to talk to human resources at your company. You shouldn't be held accountable for their screw up.
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

He had LESS taxes taken out of his paycheck than he was supposed to because he was listed as married on his W-4. He was overpaid all year long and now has to pay that back.

Married people pay less taxes. Single people pay more taxes. He's single, but had the "marriage benefit" all year long. Now that he's found the mistake while preparing his taxes, he has to pay all that back
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Ubie
Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal21

Married people pay less taxes. Single people pay more taxes. He's single, but had the "marriage benefit" all year long. Now that he's found the mistake while preparing his taxes, he has to pay all that back
Well, more likely he claimed a '1' on his taxes and his company put him down as a '2' so less was withheld. Married people don't actually pay less, it just sometimes works out that way due to wage differences between spouses.
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Boreal21 knows what's up.

Of course I am still filing (and paying). I just think it's absurd for me to pay for someone else's mistake.

At the very least, I should be able to recoup the $121 Underpayment of Estimated Tax penalty that they are going to nail me with.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
DannibusX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tough break, that really sucks but your only option is to work with the IRS on this one. They are more than willing to set up a payment option for you to pay the taxes, you'll just have to spend a lot of time on hold to get through to them.

Call them soon and set it up. You'll have no worries, and 4k shouldn't be too terribly painful on the wallet.

Coming soon: Exhaust, Wheels and Tires, Axle Gearing.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
1998TJI6

I am surprised there is $4000 difference between married and single. I would think something like 500 to 1000 differences. That comes out to $77 a week.
I would think the IRS would wave the fee it never hurts to ask.
Good luck
1998TJI6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
ynotyj

I actually do this for a living.
If you check Publication 15 at IRS.gov, you'll see that there must be more factors at work here. I'm thinking that even if your company put you in the payroll system correctly, you would still owe something. There is a difference between the tables used to calculate the withholding for single vs married people, but the difference is not going to be $4000. Most likely, you claimed too many excemptions. Also, as others have stated, the tax liability is yours. No one else's. You should (in the future) check your paystubs each week to ensure that you have enough withheld. Most paystubs will tell you year-to-date totals. If you have 4000 worth of liability this year, you want to make sure you're at least that much ahead next year.
Unless you get married, have triplets, and buy a big house.
But if your personal life doesn't change too much, be sure to have mroe withheld.

His: 1996 ZJ, 4.0 Selec-Trac
Hers: 1993 ZJ Woody 5.2

Ours: 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Touring. Sweet.

Previous Jeeps: 86 XJ, 92 XJ, 95 YJ, 87 YJ
ynotyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotyj
I actually do this for a living.
If you check Publication 15 at IRS.gov, you'll see that there must be more factors at work here. I'm thinking that even if your company put you in the payroll system correctly, you would still owe something. There is a difference between the tables used to calculate the withholding for single vs married people, but the difference is not going to be $4000. Most likely, you claimed too many excemptions. Also, as others have stated, the tax liability is yours. No one else's. You should (in the future) check your paystubs each week to ensure that you have enough withheld. Most paystubs will tell you year-to-date totals. If you have 4000 worth of liability this year, you want to make sure you're at least that much ahead next year.
Unless you get married, have triplets, and buy a big house.
But if your personal life doesn't change too much, be sure to have mroe withheld.
I never claimed that my tax liability was someone else's. I'm not expecting the IRS to say "it's OK, we'll call it even". I was just wondering what options (if any) were available to me.

When I filled out my W-4, I only claimed one exemption. I have no idea how many the company put me down for.

I am fixing this today so this won't happen again next year.

p.s. Does anyone have a dependent or two they aren't using this year?
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I claim 10 exemptions and the IRS still throws money at me come tax time

Wish I could transfer a couple of mine to you.

wait... no I don't. Jeep is due for a lift
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
sgnellett
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal21
He had LESS taxes taken out of his paycheck than he was supposed to because he was listed as married on his W-4. He was overpaid all year long and now has to pay that back.

He wasn't "overpaid", it's just that the government confiscated less of his money from each paycheck. The money was his first, before the govt decides how much to take, personally, I like to owe the govt $5 at tax time each year, a refund only means that they have been sitting on your money all year w/ no benefit to you!
SGNellett, 02 TJ Sport, Twin tops, 3" BDS lift, 33x12.5x15, K&N CAI, Tomken Front Stubby w/ towbar Tomken Rear w/ Tire Carrier (in the Garage, awaiting install, Thanks Santa!) RED Jeep Club, Member #441
NEVER FORGET
9/11
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
"Your ignorance is surpassed only by the arrogance with which you display it!"
sgnellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah... I was trying to keep it simple

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.