Tattooing over scars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Tattooing over scars

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Tattooing over scars

I have huge hard thick scars that are almost like plastic on my stomach caused by a couple of surgeries that did not go well and and a very traumatic healing process. The first time my last g/f saw me without a shirt, she had to get drunk before I can take my shirt off so she would not freak out. After that, she would just sort of focus her eyes away from the scars. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of maybe tattooing over such massive hard thick scars. What got me thinking about this is this morning I woke up to find dried blood on my belly and looked like something horrible had happened to me during the night. After I took a shower, it did not look so bad and it ended up just being some minor cut or abrasion on the biggest scars that apparently bled while I was sleeping. The biggest scar feels like plastic, kind of like rubbermaid, and is not porous. I was wondering how such a thing would take to tattooing. I know I probably won't get any of them tattooed, but the thought of it makes me curious.

I am not going to post pictures because it's too awful, even for Jeep forum.

And no, I am not trying to impress anybody or trying to pick up women or get laid or anything like that. I swore off women December 24, 1999.

Unread 12-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

That sucks man.

I have a couple tattoos and scars but none coverd by a tattoo. I know people regularly get scars tattooed over but I don't know how consistency would effect the tattoo proccess. I'm sure a tattoo needle would easily penetrate it but as far as the ink holding, not so sure. I'm having trouble picturing the density.....can you move it with your fingers? I will talk to a friend of mine that works in a tattoo parlour and ask her if any of them have experience with scars/hard scars...

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You've really got me curious now.

I looked into this a while back as I wanted to get some tattoos on my elbows but from biking accidents there's a good amount of putty skin. The scars will hold the ink much better than the regular skin.

Here's some links I found.
Twelve 28 Tattoo: Stars & Scars:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Huh... a friend of mine wanted to get a tattoo over a scar on her lower back (surgery) but the artist refused. He said they don't tat scars
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

A lot of people do the Zipper for those scars.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
gaTJgal

What the flying Heck...your ex was a disgrace to women kind. A person is a person....not a flipping scar--I don't care how gnarlie the scars are.

Moving on....my brother is a very well known and experienced tattoo artist here in Atlanta, Ga. PM details or post here about how large an area you're talking about tattooing. I'll get his advise regarding which types of scarring is ok to tattoo over and what you should expect. I'll also find out what artist he'd recommend for you in LA. And I'll find out if it's better to use color or go black and white in the tattoo. Next....if you're bleeding then that scar is porous I'd think.

*edit. Check with your Dr, too. You need to find out your infection risk--especially since you had healing problems. Decreased circulation in an area means a higher risk of infection, due to the body being unable to enforce a proper immune response.

Oh, and from experience, tattooing over scaring hurts like a Mofo because the scar tissue is tougher than regular skin. Since you said you swore off chicks in '99 I'm going to assume there's enough time for some nerves to re-grow in parts of that scar tissue. Oh! And your idea of a christmas present to yourself back in '99 sucked.

Last edited by gaTJgal; 12-18-2009 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Dr tip added
gaTJgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a scar where one of the birds on my back is. The ink didn't stay too well there. That being said, I have a scar under a different tat and that went fine. It really depends on the artist and the scar itself.

Check with an artist, different ones are different.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
QuickSilverCon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got a scar over a tat, and my ink is gone but that is totally different.

I'm wicked curious to see these scars now! But I understand if you don't want to share them.
QuickSilverCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
99TJtommy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im pretty sure that scar tissue dosn't really like to hold ink. im sure it could be done though.... i would find a well known artist with a good reputation and see what he or she says. and its gonna hurt way more than a tattoo on regular skin.
99TJtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilverCon View Post

I'm wicked curious to see these scars now! But I understand if you don't want to share them.
x2

pm? maybe. lol
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd rather have the scars (which I have a number of) than tattoos.

But that said - I would think you could get the scars "fixed". Much more expensive than tattoos, but also a more reasonable solution. They're doing all kinds of things with laser surgery and skin these days. If you wanted to spend the money, I but you could make some great improvements.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
fishermanfloyd
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same type of scar on my abdomen due to two surgeries caused by a ruptured appendix. It does suck. Never thought of a tattoo to cover it up. I would have to work on the abs first though!
fishermanfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
birddogin
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post

sorry about the arm but that looks bad *** with the shark like that
birddogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaTJgal View Post
What the flying Heck...your ex was a disgrace to women kind. A person is a person....not a flipping scar--I don't care how gnarlie the scars are
I have to agree, WT*. I dont fall in love with a persons imperfections, I fall in love with the person, the imprefections (in this case scars) are what makes that person more special... Not less attractive.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.