Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Take one - Trailer Build

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jbolty 
#1 ·
Ok, here is my first shot at building my first trailer. I have some questions but since everyone likes pictures here we go:

Pile of crap - minus leaf springs. Forgot to toss them in for the pic. The axle is a rear axle out of an 86 Honda civic, so the trailer will ride high because the tires will be right under the sides of the trailer (totally flush, so the trailer rides on top of the tires). I dont really want it high, but I would rather have it higher then wider. But I could unbolt it and use one of the square tube I have and make my own axle shaft if I think its to high.

Used to be a roof rack seen here:

And taken off ready to be sand blasted here. Its huge, measures 5'6''x10'6''. It even has corners made for tail lights (where it had reverse spot beams).

Working out of the back of the jeep

One square tube, not bad at all just surface rust

This tube was a little worse, with some pitting but nothing to ruin structural stability

Make shift bench where I was wire wheeling the hell out of the stuff (the long piece will

So its started. I borrowed my friends sand blaster for metal wire mesh thats impossible to wire wheel. I will get back to it the day after tomorrow and start making cuts and mark where I want to weld.

Couple questions though. How far back should the axle be set from the center of the trailer bed?

How long should the tongue be?

See less See more
#3 ·
I built this trailer from scratch. I know a guy who is a body mechanic and he had advised me to take the length of the trailer and for how many feet it is (i.e. 7 ft.), move the axle that many inches (i.e. 7") back from the middle of the trailer. As for the tongue, mine is very long. I reinforced it with three tongue receivers and used 1/4" square tubing. Hope that helps.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.