tactical flashlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > tactical flashlights

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
zjhitman

tactical flashlights

Which is better? Xenon bulb or LED? Are there any advantages of one over the other if you can get the same Lumen rating out of each?

Unread 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Me007gold

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

http://www.flashlight-forums.com/

lol
Me007gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjhitman View Post
Which is better? Xenon bulb or LED? Are there any advantages of one over the other if you can get the same Lumen rating out of each?
Mainly run rime. Most tactical lights may run 60 minutes on a set of batteries. A LED tactical light will run much longer because they use much less power.

Look into rechargeable lights either way so you wont have to deal with expensive batteries.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I have a Surefire Aviator that is the best of both worlds...LED and Xenon bulbs. Max output of 50 lumens does a great job illuminating what you need.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../900/sesent/00
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
EagerJeeper

LED is as tough and reliable as they get. The also get better battery life. SureFire or Streamlight are great brands, but there are many others.

I keep a SureFire E1L in my pocket and I use it often. I bought it after very careful comparison. It provides the most utility for the size that that I could find. It's slightly larger than a Bic lighter.
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Indy

What exactly is a 'tactical' flashlight? Having served on several tactical teams, I'm not grasping the concept of a tactical light.
Unread 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Bender92YJ

surefire 6p LED is 80 lumens and 11hr runtime on the batteries.
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
What exactly is a 'tactical' flashlight? Having served on several tactical teams, I'm not grasping the concept of a tactical light.
I think the generally accepted definition of a "tactical" flashlight is one that has enough lumens to temporarily blind or disorient an attacker, i.e. to be useful in a "tactical" situation often encountered by police or military folks.

In terms of LED vs. Xenon....I do have some LED lights for situations where runtime is more important, but I prefer the color-temperature of incandescent light...especially outdoors where LEDs just seem less effective at really throwing a strong, well defined beam. I know LEDs are getting better all the time, so perhaps one day that might change.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
I think the generally accepted definition of a "tactical" flashlight is one that has enough lumens to temporarily blind or disorient an attacker, i.e. to be useful in a "tactical" situation often encountered by police or military folks.
Ah, here you go then.

Unread 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Bender92YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
In terms of LED vs. Xenon....I do have some LED lights for situations where runtime is more important, but I prefer the color-temperature of incandescent light...especially outdoors where LEDs just seem less effective at really throwing a strong, well defined beam. I know LEDs are getting better all the time, so perhaps one day that might change.
I thought the same thing and wasnt really excited about the 6p led, but then my wife lost my regular 6p so I picked one up. I still had a replacement incandescent bulb and the led is better by far. I didnt think it would have the same spot light effect as the regular bulb but it is very focused and brighter.
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender92YJ View Post
I thought the same thing and wasnt really excited about the 6p led, but then my wife lost my regular 6p so I picked one up. I still had a replacement incandescent bulb and the led is better by far. I didnt think it would have the same spot light effect as the regular bulb but it is very focused and brighter.
Don't get me wrong - I have several LED flashlights, including a SF A2 Aviator and an older L1 Lumamax. I value the LEDs for their runtime, and they make excellent lights for power outage situations, which unfortunately is all too often here in Michigan. I just prefer an incan when runtime isn't an issue - the color looks more natural to my eyes, and I can pick out objects and details in the beam path better too.

Now, if you want a cool project, build what is called an ROP (Roar Of the Pelican), which is basically a modified Maglight that puts out a crazy amount of bulb lumens. My 6-cell (yes, a 6 D-cell Maglight) ROP will burn through paper set over the lens....

Instructions for above mentioned crazy flashlight can be found on various flashlight forums...yeah, I'm a geek...
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Search "Pelican 7060".
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy View Post
I have a Surefire Aviator that is the best of both worlds...LED and Xenon bulbs. Max output of 50 lumens does a great job illuminating what you need.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../900/sesent/00
That is awesome, but $195 for a flashlight

<-- This is new.
Unread 05-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #14
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Right now LED is so much better than incandescent there's no comparison. It's brighter (not counting impractical incan hotwires), more efficient, longer life, impervious to impact, what's there to not like. The only thing incan got is some people prefer the color, and that's gona change when RGB LED technology matures.

For example, the aforementioned surefire A2, while a great innovation in its day, with a LED you can have over twice the output for over twice the runtime, or switch to a lower level and runs forever. Which is another advantage of LED lights, brightness is easily changed with current, you can't do that with incan.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
JeepGirl04

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so if you are looking for light for say a quick raid or a car search - go Xenon.
You want something for your cruiser bag or duty belt.... go LED.

LEDs hold up better too when you drop them or ... like.. maybe wack someone with it!

No work and lots of Mud makes Frankie a happy girl! :)
JeepGirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.