Swapping differential gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Swapping differential gears

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 12-28-2001, 05:02 AM   #1
GroundUpCJ7

Swapping differential gears

I have two Model 30 front axles of the same year group. One is a 3.56 and the other is a 4.10, one of the axle housings is in better condition than the other. I have the service manual explaining how to remove/intall all the gears, but I'm wondering if anyone would share their experience regarding gear swaps. If I do this, I'll take all the gears out of one housing and put them in the other. Thanks for your input.

Unread 12-28-2001, 06:40 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

There is an article in the current (or maybe last month's) Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad mag about doing a an r&p swap at home by yourself. You will need some special tools and a hydrulic press. - but this I'm sure you know.

One thing is, but I'm really not sure, is that certian groups of gears use different carriers, so be carefull. I think that 3.73 may mark the line between one sized carrier for higher gears (lower #s), and the lower gears. It may be that a 4.10 cannot go into the 3.56 without also swapping the carrier. Check this out with someone who actually knows what they are talking about, however.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.