Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

suggestions for a new flashlight

1K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  somebody5788 
#1 ·
Im looking to replace me stinger hl led flashlight I use while at work im a mechanic so having a good flshlight thats bright, rechargeable with duel batteries is kinda important. The down side to the stream light was when I fist got it they only came in black so its easy to miss under the hood and at over $200 it was an expencive kit. Now they are about $100-150 so thats what I want to spend. Lets hear what you guys have experience with.

#3 ·
I have a streamlight polystinger led; which is a $100+ flashlight and very bright. Highly recommend it.

I wanted a back up and inexpensive throw down flashlight so I bought an LED Mag-Light. I find myself grabbing it as my primary all the time now. Surprisingly it's about as bright as my streamlight, but best of all it can double as a night stick! :) nothing beats an ol'metal Mag.

#4 ·
Best I've found for use in the shop is the little AAA pocket streamlight its about 28 bucks of the matco truck. It throws good light for the size and is great for tight spaces. I find myself using it a lot more than my stinger. One because its always clipped to my pocket, two because it puts out enough light for what I need, and third because its easy to hold on to while you work.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I like my Streamlight LED. Had a first model regular bulb that I converted to LED. It was silver and wound up lost. Purchased the new LED for a whole lot less than I paid for the first one, but it is black. If I was that worried about loosing it, I would wrap some orange tape around the handle. I just don't let anyone use it....keeps it from vanishing.

#13 ·
As a tech, all of my fellow techs use the Stingers. Personally I hate them and I use a LEDlenser M7R, it has a very nice magnetic charging base (not the annoying clip in that the Stingers have) and a dual focus lense so you can have a spot light when you need it and a large flood of light for everything else. Also while the Lumens claim lower, compared to my buddies Stinger that's said to be 600 lumens mine is 220 but just as bright or brighter. It only has one battery but it lasts me 2-3 weeks at a time with daily use.

The best part? The price http://www.amazon.com/LED-Lenser-88..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394818302&sr=8-1&keywords=m7r

#16 ·
It's the way they measure the lumens. It's not a standard rule in how it is done so companies can choose to measure it right at the head of the light or from 30+ feet.

As far as the price I've never seen one of the "good" stingers for under $150.

#20 ·
I use a TerraLux Lightstar 300 at work. It seems to be an ok light.

#22 ·
How well will they hold up to being dropped into transmission fluid or hitting the ground 6 times a day?

That's one thing I love about my LEDLenser. I can throw it across the shop and nothing is going to happen. Even the lense, since it's inverted and not a normal flat lense it is much harder to damage it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.