Stocking eight gallon freshwater tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Stocking eight gallon freshwater tank

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
stpeteTJ

Stocking eight gallon freshwater tank

Alright, I know there are some fish guys on here, and I hate being that new guy on a forum who shows up for one question and never comes back, so her goes:

In a couple hours I'm going to pick up a 8 gallon tank/heater/bio-wheel/etc to keep on my desk. I do have some freshwater experience, when I was 13 or so we had a big 55 gallon in the living room that I took care of, so I think I can handle some more 'fragile fish' pretty well.

My plan for aquascaping is some HC and three decent sized rocks in the front half of the tank and some dense hair grass in the back (which I will prune regularly).

Heres my question to you, what would you stock a tank like that with? I was thinking two-three cherry red (or ghost?) shrimp, two pigmy corys, and a school of 5-7 tetras? Tetras are mid/top water, corys are bottom/mid water, and shrimp are bottom water. That's a decent ballance, isn't it?

What would you stock the tank with? And what would you change in general?

Thanks!
Nick

Edit: I ended up with a 15 gallon tank, still want to use the same aquascape, see post #9

Last edited by stpeteTJ; 12-27-2009 at 05:37 PM..
stpeteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's a small freshwater tank. You shooting for long term at that size? Bigger fish, or quantity, or non dyers??

I had a 10 gal for about 7 years. The best fish I had freshwater was a googly eye black goldfish and some black/silver anger fish (maybe 5?), algae eater, and a big snail. Those all lasted a long time.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just go to your local carnival and get 3-5 of those huge gold fish, i had 2 that lived for sothing like 12 years before i put a beta fish in hte tank.
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
stpeteTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred33 View Post
That's a small freshwater tank. You shooting for long term at that size? Bigger fish, or quantity, or non dyers??

I had a 10 gal for about 7 years. The best fish I had freshwater was a googly eye black goldfish and some black/silver anger fish (maybe 5?), algae eater, and a big snail. Those all lasted a long time.

Not worried about longevity if it only has a 2 year life span, that's fine, if it lives for 10 that's fine too. My main concern is size. I don't want anything that'll grow over two inches in even the biggest tank. I always found that the 'it'll grow to the size of it's tank' nonsense is some what true, but only because they become too cramped. A fish that'll grow to 7 inches in a big tank, but only two in a little tank, is liable to get sick and die quickly in the little tank.

I'm also concerned with variety a bit, I'd like a few schooling fish, an invertebrate or two, and maybe a bottom feeder or two, but small stature is priority to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoGibson View Post
just go to your local carnival and get 3-5 of those huge gold fish, i had 2 that lived for sothing like 12 years before i put a beta fish in hte tank.
I don't really like gold fish, I always thought they where crazy ugly, and I know if you put em' in a big tank they can get pretty big, so I feel like there's some bad mojo in putting them in an 8 gallon.
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Jetscuh
O rly?

I am not a fan of Guppies. They're nice to look at but wayyy to fragile.

I have had great luck with Platies. They usually grow up to around 2 inches in length. They get along well with everyone and are colorful fish as well. I think if you got 2-3 they'd do fine in that space. I also had a Molly that I liked as well. He only reached about 2 inches in length.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Something that small i wouldn't put more than a couple of fish in.

Just my opinion, you'll be cleaning it a lot
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Get some Endlers. When I move into my new house, I am planning on getting my tank started again. I will have to remeasure it, but I remember right, it's a 20 gallon. I am planning on some glofish (its a genetically altered zebra fish / danio). Petsmart has them now.

With a tank that small, you probably wouldn't want to go with schooling fish. Generally, one inch of fish for one gallon of water. By the time you factor in your cories and shrimp, that only leaves just a few of your main fish. Going with smaller species would be better, so endlers to me would be a good fit.

Don't put goldfish in a small tank. There are numerous reasons for this which I will not get into.

Here is a very good forum I used to belong to and recently rejoined:

PetFish.net - Index
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've had my 75 gallon tank up for about 5 months(probably longer) without fish. I put a sand base down but haven't been able to decide what fish to go with.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
stpeteTJ

Alright, so I'm back from my LFS, my eight gallon tank turned into a fifteen gallon tank, haha. I got there and the eight looked awfully small, and they had a nice fifteen gallon tank that was on sale for the same price.

I still want to do the same aquascape, though. Anyone have any experience with buying fish and/or live plants offline? Most sites describe their process and it seems like it'd work well, I think I'm going to do that for both the plants and fish unless someone has a good horror story.

I like the Mollys and Endlers alot, but I'm really attracted to schooling fish for some reason. Figure now that I have a bigger fifteen gallon tank It'd work out?

Oh, and one last question... Has anyone used a dirt substrate instead of gravel? I'm fairly certain most freshwater plants grown in dirt, not gravel, so I feel like I should use some kind of dirt substrate.
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Use the search feature, there are several threads here about fish tanks and using sand instead of gravel.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Morpheus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get yourself some nice Red belly Pirhanas, they grow with their environment so they will stay small with the tank. Every few days, throw som feeder goldfish in and watch in awe! I has 25 a few years ago in a 125 gallon tank, but didnt realized that they did grow with their environment...when i got rid of them they were softball size!!!!!
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Morpheus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and careful when using sand instead of gravel, Makes the water VERY acidic, so make sure you get fish for that type or environment or they will burn right up!
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.